Books

Hello
I’m petrified that my mums cancer will come back. She’s on tamoxifen. Nothings come back for the last 3 years but I can’t shake the anxiety. I’m suffering from depression and anxiety at the moment so I think it’s safe to say this is making the worry
worse. I don’t really know what to do. I’m doing mindfulness and yoga to try and relax more. I find that researching something and learning about it can make me less scared - if I understand something more it’s less scary to me. Can anyone recommend any books on breast cancer? I’m scared I will get it too. I’m 29.

Louise bless you, im just out of my treatments (jan) so might not be the best person to advise you but im really sorry your mams diagnosis has affected you this way we don’t realise how much this can affect our children my kids have never really spoken alot about it to me im not sure if thats your case? Maybe it would be good for your mam to arrange for you both to speak to a bc nurse or if you went to her next follow up if its coming up they would be able to give you all the info you need and help with your anxiety over bc, please try not to worry about you getting bc im not sure if there is a family history in your mums case but these are all things that a bc nurse or onc could reasurre you with i know it will be hard for you but you mustn’t let your mams diagnosis make your so scared my daughter is 27 and would hate to think she is quietly going through similar feelings as you so speak to your mam sweetheart thats why we do what we have done to be there for our kids and support them through hard times i hope this has helped you i just felt i wanted to reach out to you as you are a similar age to my daughter and its awful how bc affects our loved one’s too take care and sending you and you your mam my best wishes xxxx

Louise bless you, im just out of my treatments (jan) so m3ight not be the best person to advise you but im really sorry your mams diagnosis has affected you this way we don’t realise how much this can affect our children my kids have never really spoken alot about it to me im not sure if thats your case? Maybe it would be good for your mam to arrange for you both to speak to a bc nurse or if you went to her next follow up if its coming up they would be able to give you all the info you need and help with your anxiety over bc, please try not to worry about you getting bc im not sure if there is a family history in your mums case but these are all things that a bc nurse or onc could reasurre you with i know it will be hard for you but you mustn’t let your mams diagnosis make your so scared my daughter is 27 and would hate to think she is quietly going through similar feelings as you so speak to your mam sweetheart thats why we do what we have done to be there for our kids and support them through hard times i hope this has helped you i just felt i wanted to reach out to you as you are a similar age to my daughter and its awful how bc affects our loved one’s too take care and sending you and you your mam my best wishes xxxx

Hi Louise, sorry to read you’re having a tough time but it’s understandable it’s your mum and she obviously means so much to you! I was the same when my mum was ill, twenty years ago now and it wasn’t breast cancer, but I armed myself with books, (the Internet was very different back then!), I think actively doing something helps too. I’m always buying books now but think it can be hard recommending them as it very much depends what you want from them. I like the canceractive website which Chris Woollams is behind and nutritionfacts.org which is Dr Michael Gregor and I also like their books. Chris Woollams has several, he was one of the first to advocate the Mediterranean diet, you can look up his books on the site. Michael Gregor’s is How Not To Die, not the best title maybe and not just about cancer, but is one of my favourites. I know several people who’ve bought it and all say they’re glad they did, but again you could get a feel for his ideas via his website which is very good too. Dr Chatterjees 4 Pillar Plan is an easy read and covers diet, sleep, exercise and stress, he also does podcasts, I don’t know how much you know about these things but if you’re already quite knowledgeable you may find parts a little basic, but it is a good book covering those areas. I would have a look in Waterstones and see what you think, that said, you won’t find Chris Woollams books there as I think he only sells directly via his website,  I really like him but his style is quite direct, if you know what I mean! Radical Remissions was recommended to me a couple of weeks ago by a lovely GP I met, it has just arrived and I haven’t started it yet so can’t say much about it, but by the title thought you might find it helpful. All the best to you and hope your mum remains well, Kxx