332978posts
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cognitive impairment

8 REPLIES 8

Re: Cognitive impairment

3 years later I still feel befuddled..I like it to someone taking a wooden spoon and stirring my mind up and I have to try to snatch at the info I need.I completely lost my confidence after my treatment finished, just when you feel you have to start getting back to "normal" and working again.One of my jobs that is cleaning is fine as it's repetitive and I can be left alone.My special needs job that involved going out in the community and being very responsible completely floored me.I barely felt able to look after myself without arranging buses and planniby activities. As well as that you have the physical fatigue.I really think more should be done to make people aware of long term effects. I used to get so angry when it was assumed I was back to normal.

Hi all mirkwood here again, 

So I had a totally melt down after work last week as I've been finding it stressful dealing with customers, sometimes I can't  think of the right words or say the wrong words. Also I made a mistake with some payments a while ago which has put me on edge. I feel like all my confidence has been knocked out of me. 

So I rang the Macmillan pple & spoke to some lovley pple that explain that;
"As you have a cancer diagnosis you are considered to have a disability under the Equality Act 2010. This means your employer should not discriminate against you because of your cancer. Your employer is also under a duty to make reasonable adjustments to help you at work. This protection is lifelong and does not depend on an active cancer diagnosis."
Which has made me feel better so I'm going to talk to my manager about not always being on till & having more support. Maybe if any of you are struggling at work you can get help. Hope that helps. Xxx

Hi ladies

Another one here😊, I'm starting back at work Monday, looking forward to it but a bit concerned I'll get the mental blocks, think I'll tell them I cant give medication out for a few weeks - I need to know I'll be safe.

Had a bit of a humiliating experience at the opticians a couple of weeks ago, I put my prescription in my pocket but couldn't remember what I had done with it. I checked my pockets 3 times and couldn't find it, when I asked if I could have another copy I was left in no doubt that the receptionist wasn't pleased and said rather nastily 'well have you bothered looking in your bag' and huffed sarcastically when I said I had.

In the end I did find it, I don't know why I couldn't the other 3 times I looked, when I went back to the desk to say I'd found it she said 'well your too late, I've had to ask for another copy since you said you couldn't find it' she was sneering when she said it and rolling her eyes as if to say you stupid woman all in front of other customers. Usually I would have challenged her behaviour but I was so upset that my mind had totally blanked that I left and haven't been back to get my new glasses yet. For the first time ever I put in a written complaint and have recieved an apology from the manager. It gave me a real insight into how people with the very early stages of dementia feel and its really scary stuff. The episode has really knocked my confidence and am just hoping the chemo brain doesn't affect my work so thank you ladies for your tips on how you are managing at work🤗

Joemic x 

Hi Poppy3,

Thanks for your post, another person who is dealing with chemo brain. Ive got a small white board that I use to write any notes on for the next day at home. But like you its remembering to look at it. Ive also adapted how i answer the phone at work as when i tired to say "it was me speaking" I instead asked to speak to myself? Just odd so i dont say my name now just "can i help." Try to keep it simple. I'll have a think & see if i can remember anymore ways of coping & post again when I do.🤗 Xx

Hello ladies, thought I would say hello as I also suffer with "brain fog" this can be a side effect of tamoxifen too. It is so scary when you can't remember things. It's not just a case of forgetting, but my mind is totally blank! I can have conversations and not remember what is was about. I also considered if it was early dementia, but keep forgetting to ask the nurse! To help me I have started putting everything together that I need to get ready in a morning and getting my work bag ready the night before so that I don't forget anything. At work I write everything down (just need to remember to look at it then!) I have postit notes everywhere! Not easy as I have a job where I jump from one thing to another.  I worry i cant do my job properly, which then puts extra pressure on you to make your brain work! I also find it helps if you try to stick to a routine. If you have any other methods that work for you please do share. Xxx

Hi nanna j,

Thought i let you know i got all checked out, even had a MRI scan. Its all normal, they said it is probably just chemo brain. And hopefully it'll get better over time. The oncologists still want to see me next month just to see how I'm coping. Which makes me feel better. Hope you see this post as I couldnt work out how to send a message just to you. Hope all is well with you. Xx

Highlighted

Hi nanna j,

🤗thanks for the reply. Glad its not just me, thought i was going abit mad. I'm going back for check ups about my symptoms too. Let me know if you get any answers or how to cope with it ideas. Ive just had to slow down at work & double check everything I do. 

Omg Mirkwood42 you are not going to believe this but I booked an appointment to see my GP today in case it was early stage of dimension, it just feels like Chemo brain but I finished chemo May this year 🙈🙈.  Pleased I am not on my own . Xxxx💕💕

Cognitive impairment

Hi I was diagnosed with breast cancer last January, had surgery, 6 rounds of chemo & radiotherapy. Got the all clear. Ive been on tamoxifen since last August. Been having some problems with mixing up numbers, saying the wrong word & memory. This has affected me at work as I work in retail. Was wondering if anyone else was suffering the same symptoms?