Date for reconstruction - vulnerable

Hello ladies.

I’ve just got my date for reconstruction surgery. Other ladies I’ve talked to have all welcomed the news but I’m not sure how l feel. I think l want to go through with it but lt’s triggered feelings of vulnerability. Part of me feels l should be grateful to be here and why make life more complicated. But l’ve not met one lady who has regretted their surgery (met some who didn’t want it).
The negative thoughts are creeping in. ‘What’s the point if it comes back ’ Will l feel it was worth it?’ 'It’s making my kids scared Etc.
Just feel l need to tell you guys how l feel.x

Hi Smudgie31,

I hope your get some responses here, and I also just wanted to let you know about our ‘Someone Like Me service’. We have volunteers who could talk to you directly over the telephone (or email) about how they found reconstruction, including how they felt about it, and how they found it afterwards. Please feel free to call the team on 0114 2636490 if you would like to seak to us about being put in touch. We could also put you in touch with a volunteer who has had children and who could discuss with you how they negotiated their childrens emotions around this. 

In the meantime, best wishes

Dee 

Someone Like Me team   

Hi Smudgie31

I think the feelings you are having are perfectly normal.  I am 5 weeks post op after having mx and LD reconstruction and was very undecided as to whether have reconstruction or not.  Have you already had mx or are you having it all done at the same time and what type of reconstruction are you having?

Hi. I’m having LX and implants. My mastectomy was in 2016. My initial shock of seeing the surgery date in black n white is subsidising a little. However l think my anxiety is being projected to my good breast. Keep thinking something isn’t right even though l check regularly and still have regular mammograms.