Highlighted
Community Champion
Community Champion

Re: Descending into panic

👍👍great news Gaby ❤️💕💕Shi xx

Highlighted

Hi everyone, 

Just had my mammogram results through (super-quick!) and everything is fine!! All that panic and angst for nothing 🤨😁. Still, I'm so glad I panicked, otherwise I wouldn't have had the mammogram and would still be worrying like mad. For anyone out there who has had their check up cancelled, I'd say if you're worried about symptoms, tell your BCC team. They took my fears seriously and helped me, others will surely do the same. 

Of course, I was told last year that I might experience pain, even years later. But it wasn't until it happened that I realized how terrifying this can be. I was due to see a psychiatrist about fear of recurrence, but that's of course been shelved for now. But hopefully I'll be able to have some sessions in the autumn. I definitely need to develop some better coping strategies. 

Thanks to everyone who replied to my posts. The support here is invaluable. 

Gxx

Highlighted

Yes I think it is normal - I finished treatment last July and I’m still panicky about every ache and pain. I had a bone scan in January as I have tailbone pain - even though that came back normal I still worry about it - hoping it’s pain from the tamoxifen.

the harmony trust referral may take a while to come through anyway but it’s worth considering once things settle down. 

Take care xxxxx

Highlighted

Hi Truccles,

Thanks for this suggestion, sounds really good. Sadly I think I'll have to wait until after this current lockdown, as my BCC unit has drastically reduced its services for now.

I'm having to wait at least another 2 weeks for my mammogram results and although my surgeon seemed so sure that everything is fine, the pain remains and I am struggling to remain calm. Panic keeps creeping up... I've read quite a few threads here that suggest I'm not the only one with this problem, that pain even months after radiotherapy is normal. And it's been reassuring to read those posts. But inside I'm a nervous wreck. So,I try to keep myself busy and wish for/dread the arrival of my results letter. 

Gxx

Highlighted

Hello I wanted to give my input into the issue of lumpiness in the site of your surgery -I too had quite hard lumps and puckering under the breast which was operated on - however having had only two scar management sessions so far with the therapist has a vastly improved them - they are much softer which is just so much easier to look at and feel of a morning- ask your BCN for a referral through The Harmony Trust - if you are approved you’ll get six free treatments from a local  therapist and I literally cannot recommend them enough it is worth a try isn’t it? Best of luck with everything xx

Highlighted

Thanks Caroline!

Let me know how you get on with your oncologist. 

You have a lovely weekend too.

Gx

Highlighted

Hi Gaby,

Aah that's such great news! I'm sure everything will be fine and it's so great that you got seen so quickly.

Have a relaxing weekend,

Caroline x

Highlighted

So, saw my surgeon and he is pretty sure that the pain is from the radiotherapy, but just to be sure he organized a mammogram for me this morning! I'll have to wait for 3 weeks for the results, but that's ok. I feel so relieved. 

Gx

Highlighted

Hi Caroline, 

Thank you so much for your post. It's a relief to know I'm not the only one feeling frightened. Amazingly my GP has managed to get me an appointment with my BCN for tomorrow morning! I'm both relieved and worried now 😂. The thing is, my scars are quite lumpy anyway, so I can't tell if the pain is just from the op and reads, or if there's something else to worry about. 

I hope your oncologist is able to provide you with some reassurance over the phone. Otherwise nag them for a face to face appointment. 

Thanks again for sharing your thoughts with me.

Gx

Hi Gaby,

So sorry you're feeling like this. I'm not sure there's much I can do to support you other than saying you are not alone. I had the same successful treatment as you last year, and I've just been sat in the bedroom prodding and poking my breast, armpits and neck - and freaking out! I told myself to calm down and get on this forum and came across your post. My breast still hurts where I had the surgery, especially first thing in the morning - I think where I've been tossing and turning in the night. I was supposed to be seeing the Oncologist next week but they've asked to do it over the phone now.

I think our anxiety is only going to be heightened by everything that's going on so we need to find ways to stay chilled, or at least keep things in perspective, easier said than done I know! 

Anyway - for what it's worth I hear you - and I'm here for you! 

Caroline x

Highlighted

Descending into panic

Hi there,

I had successful treatment for TN last year (chemo, SNB, lumpectomy and rads). Just over the last week I've had a sort of dull ache along the various scars and my lymph glands seem a bit swollen. I was due to have my first mammogram since treatment next week, but due to the corona virus, this has been cancelled. I can't get hold of my breast care nurse and apparently they're around but not seeing anyone face to face. I've left messages and am hoping that they will get back to me soon. In the meantime I'm having a complete meltdown. I don't suppose all our other problems with the virus are helping, but I just feel completely alone with this and all my usual ways of getting help seem closed. I just can't stop thinking, what if.... I'm not even sure why I'm posting this, except that I know that so many wonderful people have supported me here in the past. 

Help!

Gaby