Every day I'm fearing cancer has returned

Hi everyone. I was diagnosed with breast cancer in june. I had chemo, then surgery and now I’m just about to finish radiotherapy. When I had my surgery they discovered that my tumour hadn’t responded very well to chemo so I’m now classed as high risk for recurrence. The problem is, every day I keep finding new things to worry about, because I’m absolutely convinced the cancer will return, it’s just when and where. I’m really struggling to cope because I can’t relax and just ‘move on’. I really don’t want to be like this but its happening. It didn’t help that when I phoned the dr about one of my many worries that she said ‘I’m really concerned and you’re high risk too’!. I just instantly felt sick and I thought, it’s just always going to be like this and one day I will get confirmation that the cancer has returned. I just wanted to speak to others who understand. Sorry for the long post!

Hi Amy1988

I am sorry you are dealing with fear of cancer returning.

Anxiety is something that many people struggle with, for many aspects of their lives. A cancer diagnosis certainly makes many people anxious and stressed.

I wonder if speaking to someone who understands may be helpful. Often people find that talking things through is useful. We have a team of breast care nurses on freephone 0808 800 6000 (Mon-Fri 9am-4pm; Sat 9am-1pm), who you’re always welcome to chat to… even if you’re unsure what to talk about. Our nurses and kind and patient, entirely non-judgmental, and anything said is confidential.

We also have information on this page that may be useful: breastcancernow.org/information-support/facing-breast-cancer/living-beyond-breast-cancer/life-after-breast-cancer-treatment/coping-emotionally/managing-stress-anxiety

I hope this Forum brings you comfort too - there are many people experiencing the same thoughts and anxieties, and many have shared their stories and coping strategies on these boards.

Sending you our warmest wishes

Bernard

I feel like this too, had stage 3a invasive bc back in 2019, finished active treatment in Jan 2020 but as I often feel ill anyway with nasal polyps etc I worry that I still have cancer somewhere in my body and not had the best experience with doctors in the past, tend to get brushed off easily. How do you get past the fear x

I feel like this too, had stage 3a invasive bc back in 2019, finished active treatment in Jan 2020 but as I often feel ill anyway with nasal polyps etc I worry that I still have cancer somewhere in my body and not had the best experience with doctors in the past, tend to get brushed off easily. How do you get past the fear x

I went through a double mastectomy and chemo last year because I had three tumours one of which was grade 3 high risk. I’m currently on Letrozole now for 5 years and the panic & anxiety attacks hit me constantly so I know what you mean. I rarely feel well anymore both mentally & physically. Xx

Hi feel somewhat like this for different reasons though of course, I think about cancer returning.
I have realised that whilst I was self-isolating I felt safe, my food and meds were being delivered I do not work, I was getting all my transport to and from the hospital so all in all I was pretty much protected.
I have had one covid injection next one end of May - but I do not feel confident enough to go out and mix again. I feel I have been on this massive roller coaster for 8 months thinking only of my treatment - then suddenly that protection and all it entails has been removed.
Regarding my cancer, I have NO idea what next outside a telephone call from the oncologist on the 8th of June, no one else has contacted me (even my breast care nurse who did say she would keep in touch) nothing. No GP guidance because of Covid in fact nothing from them at all.

I have done all of my treatment totally alone no family sometimes my head seems as if it will explode taking it all in - I am also coming to terms with how mutilated I look (which at 64) is no real issue, but it still comes as a shock when I look at myself.
I also applied for PIP back in Nov (filled in my own form as I could not get help - covid again).
Heard nothing until the other day when I was told I would get a telephone call assessment, this was then cancelled until when I have NO idea.
All in all, I feel so let down by it all - one minute you are being taken care of - the next the safety net is cut and you are left to get on with it.

Sorry for the moan

Poppy xx