3331melanie

Re: Extreme anxiety still.

Hi Jackie

Hope all has gone well today 🥰

Mel xx

Evie-S
Community Champion

Hi Mel - thank you so much for your lovely kind words and 😊. You are right, you will feel loads better once you have surgery behind you and the lump has gone. You will find the strength to get through the next 2 weeks and the op - and we are all here on this forum to help you. The ladies on here got me through my toughest days, and I will be forever grateful. 

🤗🤗 Evie xx

3331melanie

Evie - I’m so happy you are feeling well 😊. You’re right - it is like being hit by a truck and has completely railroaded me!

Thank you  for your words of advice - I will get some button up PJs.

I think the key is taking one day at a time and accepting that some days will be harder than others. I do feel like once I’ve had surgery that things will start getting easier. This forum has been amazing - the support is incredible and I really appreciate it.

Mel xx

Evie-S
Community Champion

Hi Mel

I think the early days before treatment were probably the hardest, when I was processing the shock of the diagnosis and not knowing what was round the corner and generally feeling like I had been hit by a truck. You now have your plan in place, which is good, so as you say you can now focus on getting yourself ready for the surgery - there are various chats suggesting things to take in. I had a mastectomy but I'm sure it will be the same for lumpectomy, get some button up front opening pyjamas. Make sure you take one day at a time or even one hour at a time and don't let that fear goblin get a grip! Treat yourself to whatever your guilty pleasure is for the next couple of weeks. It's good that the scans don't show any node involvement - mine clearly showed on my initial scan.

Thanks for asking - I'm doing well now. 

Evie xx

3331melanie

Hi Evie

I was diagnosed 2 weeks ago with grade 2 IDC - hormone positive it HER2 negative. Scans don’t show any lymph involvement so  this will be confirmed after biopsy. I have lumpectomy planned for 9th May. then radiotherapy and hormone treatment. I think the waiting is the worst as just want it out now - still it’s I my 2 weeks away.

How are you doing now? Xx

3331melanie

Hi Jackie

Horrible isn’t it. I think it’s also the feeling of having lack of control over things! Like you I want to just resume normality!

Thats a really good idea preparing stuff prior to surgery - i will do the same 😊.

I wish you all the very best for tomorrow and will be thinking of you.

Mel 🥰x

Evie-S
Community Champion

Jackie - big hugs from me for your op tomorrow. The anticipation can be worse than the reality. Let us know how you get on.

Evie xx

Evie-S
Community Champion

Hi Mel

I'm glad to hear you feel better today. What stage of treatment are you at (sorry, I can't find your story)? I'm like you, I find walking really helps the mind and body and keeping busy does too. The fear goblin can creep up at odd times - and I'm trying to learn how to put him firmly back in his box! I finished a combination of chemo, surgery and radio in June 2017.

Evie xx

Jac67

Hi Mel . Hope you are ok . I’ve been feeling exactly the same . Find that walk helps as you say . I’ve been waiting about 8 weeks for operation it’s now tomorrow. Just want it done now . I’m currently making soup and stuff for next few days . My family have been amazing but it’s really hard at this point. Then it’s the wait for results. Just feel like you want a normal life back . I’m sure we’ll both be ok . Lots love Jackie xx

3331melanie

Hi Evie

Thankyou so much for your message. I’m not feeling too bad today. I think it’s waiting for the treatment to start. Feels like an eternity which of course it’s not!  I’m trying to keep busy and have started walking which clears my head.

Hope you are ok too

Mel xx

Evie-S
Community Champion

Hi Mel

How are you today? Happy to chat on private message anytime if it helps.

Hugs

Evie xx

3331melanie

Thank you Evie.

Fear goblin is brilliant! It was very active yesterday!

Mel x

Evie-S
Community Champion

Hi Mel and Jillsy

Mel - the anxiety worm is a good name for it. In the chat where I lifted that quote from someone called it a "fear goblin" which I also thought a great name. I agree with you, this forum is a great place to chat and share experiences. We are definitely not alone in having the anxiety worm/fear goblin lurking.

Jillsy - you have gone through the shock of diagnosis and then surgery, and often anxiety gets worse once treatment finishes and you are no longer seeing doctors all the time.

Hugs to you both

Evie xx

3331melanie

Hi

ive just stumbled on this post as I too have been suffering with extreme anxiety. It’s something I’ve suffered with for many years but my anxiety worm (as I call it) is having a field day with my diagnosis!

i find coming to the forum really helpful and reminds me I’m not alone.

Evie - I love that quote. I need to make that my mantra 😊

Mel x

Jillsy1965

I too am very anxious and I only had Lumpectomy and then meds no further treatment but haven't had another mammo again since November and December for surgery...its just so much

MoDo

Thank you Evie for reply & hug.

Glad to hear counselling helped you. Hoping to hear soon about mine.

Could of really done with having it from beginning but it just didn't work out.

The fear is overwhelming isn't it, have been trying some meditation videos & some mantras to help me some, as I don't want the fear to have as much hold over me. 

Thanks for the other post - I will keep that & read it, it's very good. xx

Evie-S
Community Champion

Hi MoDo

First of all I’m sending you a big hug as you go through all this. I totally get where you are coming from. I finished treatment mid 2017 and anxiety hits me still from time to time - I’ve had some counselling which really helped. I think on BCC you can speak to others who have been through it - think it’s called “Someone like me” - I wonder if that would help? Or could you speak to your BCN about specific concerns?

You have done exactly the right thing by being very selective in what you read - I kept turning up to my oncology appointments armed with the latest scare story and my oncologist told me to stop reading newspapers and online reports!

One of the best pieces of advice I was given was to take one day at a time, or even one hour at a time, rather than worry about what might or might not happen. I’m going to cut and paste a post below that I read on here and saved a while ago which I refer back to often. Hope it helps you too. Your fear is very normal, everyone on here can relate to what you say. But as my saved post says, nobody knows what is round the corner, whatever age they are - of course it’s easy for me to say, not so easy to put into practice! I’m very happy to chat more on here or via private message if you like.

"There just in no way we can have a 100% assurance that this will never come back but we have to believe it won't to be able to move on. We can't spend our lives in fear of what may be as that just robs us of enjoying the here and now.
I'm 4 years post diagnosis in March and every year that passes brings confidence, we don't read about those who have gone on to have no further problems, they are off living, it's the sadder stories that get published but that doesn't happen to the majority. My mindset is if I need to deal with it again then I will but for now all is well and that's what I focus on. It does get easier, Cancer won't always be in the forefront of your mind I can assure you"

Hugs, Evie xx

MoDo

Hi Susan, 

It's my hospital that I'm waiting to attend, every time I've got appointment it's clashed which was frustrating.

I'm now waiting for another appointment.

Thanks for your reply.

Susanmanchester

@MoDo wrote:

Hi - haven't been on here since just before my Chemo started, I couldn't cope with reading anything that wasn't positive as I was so panicky & terrified.

I've done the Chemo now & about to start Radiotherapy next week ( I think ).

I'm still as anxious, terrified as I was at beginning, tried to get counselling but it clashed with appointments every time, and I'm still waiting now.

Your hospital should have an oncologist-psychologist ? I started taking anti anxiety meds ( suffer badly from anxiety ) right after DX and has been enormously helpful getting me through surgery and chemo they upped dose recently . Am on waiting list for hospital counselling too .. hope some of this helpful 

MoDo

Extreme anxiety still.

Hi - haven't been on here since just before my Chemo started, I couldn't cope with reading anything that wasn't positive as I was so panicky & terrified.

I've done the Chemo now & about to start Radiotherapy next week ( I think ).

I'm still as anxious, terrified as I was at beginning, tried to get counselling but it clashed with appointments every time, and I'm still waiting now.