68575members
360686posts
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Extremely confused - Self Isolate for 12 weeks or not??

3 REPLIES 3
Highlighted

Re: Extremely confused - Self Isolate for 12 weeks or not??

Hi Sunflower - for the shielding category the types of patients that are included on it are medically defined. There is a list of the conditions contained within the Government guidance that tells you what the specific conditions are (cancer patients on active chemo for example). They’re being quite black and white about the shielding programme and if your condition isn’t on the list then you won’t be added - it’s done by a computer algorithm apparently. So if you’re not on the shielding list you won’t be able to register on the government shielded website. Having said all that GP’s are dealing with the next category of people who are in the wider vulnerable group - like Jaybro said these people are able to access help from local councils and volunteer groups etc to get things that they might need. Also if you read the Government workplace guidance that was released a few days ago it does advise employers to consider letting people in the wider vulnerable group to work from home if they can. It sounds like your employer is taking a sensible approach and is happy to be cautious and continue to let you work from home. Also like jaybro I’d be surprised if your supermarket took away your delivery slot.  So essentially from what you’ve said even if you’re not on the formal shielded list but you are someone who is still vulnerable it sounds like you should still get the help you need anyway so I would try not to panic too much about it. The other thing to bear in mind is that as restrictions start lifting and people start getting back to normal life those of us on the shielding list face the prospect of having to spend many months ahead stuck inside still so it’s maybe not such a bad thing  if you get the help you need but have a bit more flexibility as to how you want to manage your personal risk x

Highlighted

Hi Jaybro

Thank you for your reply. I remember my GP saying to me to self-isolate even if I don’t get a letter from the government. Anyway I told work at the time and said that I will get a letter from my GP to say that I am self isolating for 12 weeks but work said they completely understand and a letter won’t be needed. In fact the girl in Hr said she is doing the same and self isolating for 12 weeks. We are all working from home at the moment from work but some of my team are going on next week to start an important project but I have been told I can’t and can do my bit from home. I phoned the GP surgery to try to talk to someone medical and only got as far as the receptionist who said I will have to discuss it with my GP on Monday. It’s all incredibly frustrating and upsetting. I hope I can keep my delivery slot, as I feel myself that I am vulnerable x

Highlighted

Hi Sunflower

What a horrid situation for you. Personally, I would stick to my guns and remain shielded. There has been a lot of confusion about shielding, with some people, myself included, not even understanding why they are instructed to stay at home (I finished chemo just over a year ago; I did experience neutropoenic sepsis of unknown origin and an episode of not being able to breathe, unsurprising as I had rib damage from a car accident - but I’m fine now!). Other people such as my diabetic friend are definitely vulnerable and yet are excluded. Then included. Then excluded again. It’s a mess.

It’s also very bureaucratic and I would imagine your letter is a result of some bureaucratic decision that doesn't take into consideration your personal circumstances. That should be sorted when you have you consultation. Make your case firmly. Base it solely on your health (single-parenting won’t strengthen your case even if it’s part of your need) and meantime, try not to panic.

There’s always your local council which will be able to offer support to anyone who needs it so, whether you’re on the list or not, you should still get support with shopping etc. I also can’t imagine that you would be removed from the privilege of a supermarket shopping slot - it took them long enough to add us to the list. They’ll never get round to removing us!!

I also don’t think you can get onto the government register, even if you do complete all the details, unless it’s confirmed by the NHS. I may be wrong but I remember there being something right at the end that said Yes you do or No you don’t...qualify blah blah blah. That might be worth checking.

Chin up and best of luck x

Highlighted

Extremely confused - Self Isolate for 12 weeks or not??

Hi All

i haven’t been on here for a while, but feel I need some help from you lovely people on here. 

I am now back at work (working from home) which is going well. Any way I was sat at my work station at home and a letter came through the post. I opened the letter and the letter said I should not be self isolating as I don’t fall into the categories, and I should not have registered on the government website. The letter was from my GP practice. 

About 2 months ago I was told to self isolate by my GP for 12 weeks, as she said I have been very poorly for the last 6 months. I’ve told my work who have said that fine, they get it and I don’t need written evidence of it as I have been off work with breast cancer. 

i phoned my GP surgery and told them I was doing as my GP told me to. So now I have got a telephone consultation on Monday to discuss it. I can’t tell you how upset I am about receiving this letter. My anxiety has hit the roof. Am I now going to be told I can now go out when ever I want and I’m not at risk. I’m a single parent too so how was I to get my food shop?? 

please can someone help me put my mind at ease and tell me I should be self isolating as my GP said.

I am sorry to rant on but I am so upset x