Feeling worried and alone

Hi, I had Breast Cancer in April 2015. I had a mastectomy but didn’t need any radiotherapy or chemotherapy I started on Tamoxifen which I have had for the last four years. During this time I have reached my ‘new normal’ as I like to call it and life has been going on. The past few months I have not been feeling great and have had several tests done chest X-rays, bone scans to see if everything is ok. Very relieved that nothing has been found but I’m still not feeling well.  I am still having lots of aches and pains and am struggling with the worry and anxiety of what it might be. My biggest problem is that I have no one to talk to about it. My  friends and even worse my husband have just got to a stage where they are literally like ‘Oh what’s the problem this week?’ I am getting to a point where I am feeling so tired and In pain but I am keeping quiet because I am scared to tell anyone as I feel silly and like I am making stuff up. I’m sure they think I like the drama but I really don’t. I have young children and work three days a week (which I am finding hard) I’m hoping there is someone out there  who can offer help or support. It has not been like this since my diagnosis I just seem to be having a low patch now. I wish there was someone I could explain what I’m feeling without being dismissed or made to feel it’s not important. Everyone expects me to be how I was before Breast Cancer with no worries. 

Hi KH, I’m sorry to read that you are in pain and struggling. Have you tried having a chat with the nurses on here 0808 800 6000 or McMillan Nurses, who’s line is open longer into the evenings. 

So sorry you feel like this. I was diagnosed in June 2017 and had a mastectomy. I do worry sometimes about any aches and pains and feel like I am making a mountain out of a molehill. I hope you find someone you can talk to, have you asked your doctor to refer you for counselling? That can really help. Or coming on these forums can be helpful too. Hope you feel better soon xxx

Hi KH81

Firstly, there will be lots of ladies that read your post and relate to how you are feeling. You are not alone with all the support you can get from this forum. I was diagnosed in June 2014 and on tamoxifen for 10 years. I think side effects from this med has a lot to answer for. I also had scans, blood but nothing found to be wrong. I asked my consultant if it could be down to having very little, if no oestrogen in your body which is causing the stiff joints and aching bones and she said it could well be. You may have also seen on this site how different brands give different side effects. You also have a lot to cope with, not only having BC but a young family and trying to get back to work so don’t be so hard on yourself. I find you have to pace yourself. I have to make sure I have some down time which I know would be difficult for you but I just can’t keep going at a fast pace any more.

If you are still feeling unwell go back and see the doctor for reassurance. 

Oh friends is also a difficult one, no one wants to talk about it now you are now “well” and like you I don’t always want to say how you are really feeling so just end up saying “I’m fine” when really you want to pour your heart out!

Feel free to PM me if you just want a chat and need an online friend. I think there is an expectation that after a few years like us, you shouldn’t have worries and anxiety, but in reality I don’t think it goes away. Sorry I’ve gone on a bit! But wanted you to realise we are here for you. I’m off to bed now, don’t usually stay up after 9.00!! Hope this helps. Big hugs…xx

<Empty imported post>