cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Gutted - 5 year mammo cancelled

18 REPLIES 18
Highlighted

Re: Gutted - 5 year mammo cancelled

Hi Sue, I was asked if I'd be interested in joining after my 3yr all clear.  We were 'randomised' into 2 groups, one to have annual mammograms for 6 years the other the have mammos every other year for 6 years.  Each year you receive questionnaires to fill in about physical and mental health.  If I remember rightly, its to research the number of post-op mammograms.  The 5yr 'rule' has been in place for decades but no-one really knows what the optimum number is!  I'm sure if you Google Mammo50 you'll learn more.  I can't remember but on the questionnaire it might have been linked to university of Warwick?  Hope this helps.

R

Highlighted
Community Champion

Hi R

That's great news💕 So glad for you x

The research programme sounds great. How did you get on that if you don't mind me asking?

Sue xx 

Highlighted

Hi Sue, just to let you know that everything did go well.  Appointment was very quick and not as uncomfortable as sometimes!  I wore my homemade mask and the nurse wore a mask.  Got my results in less than a week and NED so think I'm now entitled to say that I'm a cancer survivor?!.  I'm on the Mammo50 research programme so will have annual mammograms for a further 4 years which is very reassuring.

R

Highlighted
Community Champion

Hi R, I'm pleased for you, and hope all goes well. They will be wearing ppe, and you'll wear a mask. Plus everything will be cleaned. 

I hope this provides confidence to others reading this that the mammograms will be going ahead. 

Sue xx 

Highlighted

Thank you, Sue C.  I'm in Nottinghamshire and pleased to say I've this morning received my appointment for 26 May so am chuffed to bits (relatively speaking!).

Highlighted
Community Champion

Hi Gaileigh

Please be reassured that you had your treatment very recently, so it is highly unlikely that there is anything to be concerned about. The first mammogram is used as a marker so they can compare going forward. 

Having said that, I do understand your anxiety. It's such a difficult time. Is it possible to call your bcn? I think things will gradually change in the hospitals, so they will be able to carry out more routine tests. So I'm sure your mammogram won't be delayed for too long.

Sue xx 

Highlighted

Hi everyone 

I was diagnosed with breast cancer in my left breast last year, had surgery and radiotherapy, i was due for my first mammogram on the 20th of this month but it’s been cancelled, again as all of you have said I appreciate it’s a very difficult time but again this doesn’t stop me worrying,  just to add to my worry my areole is a dark brown colour on that breast, which is causing me to worry even more, 

sending love & hugs to you all xxxx😘

Highlighted
Community Champion

Hi

I'm in West Sussex xx

Highlighted

What excellent news - here's to a good result! In my phone consultation, the Breast Institute suggested it could be July before I got an appointment.  Can I just ask what county you're in?

Highlighted
Community Champion

Hi Ladies

Just wanted to let you know that I had my annual mammogram today. Got a call only yesterday to say come in. So obviously they are now trying to get through these, although I'm sure it will depend on your hospital. Anyone reading this, I would say phone your bcn if possible as a gentle reminder. It is possible for them to do it with the appropriate Ppe.

Sue xx

Highlighted

My letter only came a week before the appointment so I expect you'll hear something soon.  I don't know if all screening has been cancelled UK-wide.

Highlighted
Community Champion

Hi all

Apologies if this has been already asked, but have all routine mammograms been cancelled across the country? Mine is due next month, but have not received a letter either way.

Sue xx

Highlighted

Thank you everyone for your comments.  I'm feeling more positive now since having my 'telephone consultation' yesterday and, hurrah, I've been told that I can stop taking Anastrozole in June (was worried they might suggest a further 5yrs).  The Breast Institute is hoping that I will get an appointment in July, if lock-down permits.  The nurse practitioner I spoke to reassured me that they're always available if I have any concerns and that I can always talk to my BC nurse (not had to contact her since before I had my op).  Patience everyone, we'll get there. xx

Highlighted

I'm 4 years on and mammogram also cancelled due to the current situation, haven't a clue when I will eventually get, it makes me uptight as it's always a great bit of news to recieve that there's no concerns or abnormalities, just need to hang tight 😉

Highlighted

Hi there

I am in a similar position. I am due to have my two year check in May. On Thursday I received two letters in the post. The first I opened was from my Breast Clinic inviting me for my mammogram. The second was a letter telling me that all screening was postponed and not to attend any appointments sent out. 

Last year, after my mammogram I had to have more biopsies as they could see things they wanted to investigate. You can imagine how scary that was. Thankfully all was okay. Whilst I am apprehensive about this year's check, I also feel like I really need it to put my mind at rest. 

I absolutely understand that, at the moment, things are unprecedented and many people are far worse off than me. I do get that. But I can't stop the worry of something happening inside my body that might be growing. That is scary. I try to tell myself that I am normal to be worried and all is probably fine. I wasn't expecting this reaction to my cancelled appointment though. 

Stay strong everyone. 

Highlighted
Community Manager

Dear louiseh1104 and Ruthiesings

I am saddened to read of your cancelled appointments.

Of course we understand that for many people they were not just 'routine' appointments, but important milestones in their treatment and recovery. We are hoping your appointments are reinstated as soon as possible.

In the meantime, if you wish to speak to our team of breast care nurses, you can reach us on freephone 0808 800 6000 (Mon-Fri, 10am-3pm). We'll always be happy to talk things through.

We are hearing of a number of people whose appointments and treatments had to be cancelled or postponed. Our campaigns team is collecting people's experiences in a survey in order to be better able to report on the impact coronavirus is having on people with breast cancer. If you'd like to fill it in, it is at www.surveymonkey.co.uk/r/coronavirusimpact2020.

On behalf of Breast Cancer Now I am sending positive vibes and good wishes your way x

Bernard

Highlighted

Thank you for your kind and understanding reply - especially your comment about the 'new normal'. I'm sure I wouldn't have been half as upset if it hadn't been my 5yr anniversary.  A bit like the state pension, you think you're almost there and then the goalposts move!!

Highlighted

Hi Ruthiesings,

I know exactly how you are feeling. I got a letter this morning postponing my 2 yr mammogram and like you, felt very upset. I understand that we are all in a very difficult situation and that everyone's safety is the top priority, but I had been psychologically "gearing up" to this mammogram for a long time, because like you say, it is another significant milestone. I too feel lucky beyond words and feel now that I have to be even more determined to keep well - not that I wasn't trying before!

I have read lately about the world having to get used to "the new normal" and it made me think of all those brave souls who had faced a cancer diagnosis in the past, and who were already familiar with this phrase and trying to realise it.

Take care and look after yourself.

Louise 

Highlighted

Gutted - 5 year mammo cancelled

How are other ladies feeling after having their mammograms cancelled?  I understand the necessity in the present situation, but am absolutely gutted as it would have been my 5yr one next Tuesday.  I don't think many people understand the importance of these milestones to us but know that people on here will. It didn't help that it was a generic letter addressed to 'Dear Madam' and referring to 'routine screening'.  5 years doesn't feel routine to me!  I was also scheduled to have, what I believe, would be my final consultation at the end of April when I could discuss finishing Anastrozole.  That has now become a telephone consultation which I find hard to get my head around when I won't have had my mammo before hand.  Sorry for the rant but had to get it off my chest.  I know I shouldn't be so worked up about it and think how fortunate I am.  It must be awful for anyone just starting out on their BC journey.