Letter re suspicious cells

Hi,

Finished chemo almost a year ago. Mastectomy was New Years Eve. Had a stubborn seroma that has been drained several times. Just got home to a copy of a letter from ny surgeon to my dr saying the fluid they drained has come back with suspicious cells! The letter is dated 10 days ago! No one has contacted me. Could it be a typo?? Suspicious cells says to me thst it’s come back? 

Any ideas? 

As it is weekend there’s no one to talk to. 

I’ve no idea what that means but I think it’s dreadful that you should read that on a letter to your GP with no contact from your breast care team and particularly frustrating to get it on a weekend when you can’t contact anyone .I hope it is a typo ???

Hi Beckett

I’m pretty sure if there was anything urgent, you’d have been contacted. No team could afford to be that slack. It may be that, when taking the sample, they felt they’d conveyed to you what the situation was. I had two ‘suspicious lymph nodes’ revealed in my CT scan and, as I was heavily node-positive, I was scared witless. It just meant they would keep their eye on it and in fact the oncology nurse just dismissed it as irrelevant. I asked at the end of my treatments and the new oncologist seemed surprised and had to check back to see what I was talking about. “Oh, that was nothing.” Huh! Not to me it wasn’t. An ill-chosen word…

I do think though, for your peace of mind, you should ring your breastcare nurse and ask. She can follow it up and explain it to you. None of us knows your particular situation but my personal experience of ‘suspicious’ just means something they can’t explain - they identify cancer and this presumably isn’t that. I hope you get reassured.

Jan x