Re: Mammogram Time Again

Thank you Evie...

I'm sure I'll be fine! 😳😳😳💪🏻💪🏻💪🏻

Thanks for "holding my hand" x 😘💗

Lulu... hope everything went well yesterday x 💪🏻💗

Stay strong Ladies x 😘

Hi Lulu and Aneeebel - 

Lulu - I hope you were ok today at your mammogram and get clear results quickly. I think you are right, I’m not sure we ever get over the fear. I’ve got my 3rd one coming up this autumn and I know I’ll get really anxious as the time comes.

Aneeebel - big hugs and strength to you for your mammogram tomorrow. I hope you too get clear results very quickly. Sue has given some good advice - so just know that we will all be with you tomorrow holding your hand “virtually”.

Big hugs to all those going through mammograms.

Evie xx

Community Champion

🤞🤞🤞🤞🤞🤞

Community Champion

Thankyou Sue...

And yes, you're quite right about the treatment but I'm still a teeny bit worried!!! 😘💗 x

Community Champion

Aneeebel, good luck for tomorrow ❤️

Having had 3 annual mammograms now, and various other tests, I'm not sure that the anxiety ever leaves totally!! However, just tell yourself that you've had all the treatment now, so the liklihood of it returning is absolutely miniscule.

Hugs xx 

Community Champion

Hi Ladies 

I hope you don't mind me adding to your thread... 🤔💗

Im going for my 1st annual mammogram since diagnosis tomorrow...

I've been pretty laid back about it 'as its bound to be clear' (😳 ) (Surely!) until the last couple of days when I've been getting myself in a tiz and having a bit of an "Oooh my giddy aunt" moment!!!

Yikes!!!!! And breathe..... 👙💪🏻💗

LuLu...hope your mammogram goes well today! Everything is crossed! Stay strong! Let us know how you get on! 😘💗🎀 xx

🌸🌸🌸🌸🌸🌸

Hi,

I too have my 4th Mammogram tomorrow, it is always a tough time for me, I get tearful, have nightmares and increased anxiety on the build up to the examination. I think its normal, it reminds us of a very difficult time.

thankfully I have good family and husband for support and I try hard to look at it in a positive way, Im still here!

I wonder if we ever really 'get over it'

best wishes to all here.....onwards and upwards

Lulu

Hi Raaspberi - that’s wonderful news for your Mum and for all of the family, thanks so much for coming back on here to let us know. Wishing her all the best for the next years ahead.

Sorry, I hope you didn’t mind me hijacking your thread to discuss books etc.

Hugs, Evie xx

Hi everyone,

I didn't realise this thread had grown so much. My mum got the all clear from her mammogram so now has entered the final year of the 5 years.It was such a relief for her and the rest of the family. She's now counting down the days to big number 5.

Hi oldspice - that’s wonderful news, thank you for coming back to share your good news 😊. And hope you get the green light to stop Tamoxifen in September.

Thanks also for your kind wishes - and also for recommending the book. It really is very good. I know it’s one I will return to time and again.

Hugs to you too 🤗

Evie xx

Hi Oldspice

I'm so pleased for you. I can imagine the last two weeks or so you have been on edge all the time. I know I am when waiting for results. Let's hope you get the news you want in September regarding Tamoxifen too.

Thanks for recommending the book too. I am getting through it slowly as trying to take it all in. It all makes common sense but hard to put to practice every day.

Sending you hugs.

Julie x

Hi Julie and Evie! Just thought I'd share the good news that my mammogram was clear and I have now achieved my 5 years NED 🙂. Now I am looking forward to receiving confirmation that I can stop Tamoxifen in September 🌝 Sending hugs and hope you are both doing well xxx

Hi Evie

Unfortunately the plaster is not drying as quickly as we had hoped ( weather doesn't help) so the builders are not back  here until next Monday. It means longer without comfy chairs!! We're hoping it will be finished by Wednesday (ish) next week so can put everything back together ( nightmare!) and concentrate on the holiday.

I went to Counselling today and am now being referred to Mindfulness ( via GP) as well as Counselling via my Cancer hospital. I feel as if I have to give Mindfulness another go. This runs for nine weeks not four like before, although before it was not just Mindfulness - it was  just touched upon among other things.

Hope you are well and finding the books really helpful.

Julie x

Hi Julie - I’m so glad to hear your builders are so house trained and working so hard. Often the anticipation of the work is worse than the reality. Hope you get your comfy chairs back soon!! I know exactly what you mean about being ready for another counselling session - I hope you get your referral sorted. 

Evie xx

Hi Evie I have to say the builder's are doing really well. The ceiling was down and a new one up the same day. They are very kind and tidy which has surprised at. One thing I miss is after they've gone I have nothing comfortable to sit on as our lounge is out of bounds until early next week. Deck chairs are not as comfortable!!! I have counselling Thursday coming but it is coming to an end shortly I fear. I go every two weeks on the whole and when I'm " due" I know/ feel I'm ready for another session. I shall have to see how my referral goes. Thanks for asking about things. Julie x

Hi Lilacmoon - the support on here really is amazing isn’t it. I think anniversaries are always tough, the date of my diagnosis always gets me. I have tried to turn it into a positive date but without much success so far. It’s easy to advise others to do that, but not so easy to take my own advice. Like you I have hung around on here to try to help others going through it, to sort of put something back into the system that helped me so much.

How are you feeling today?

Evie xx

Hi Julie - I’m looking forward to reading the books, they look really helpful. How is your building/repair work going? I hope they are making good progress. 🤞🏻

I was referred for some counselling but I didn’t really gel with that counsellor, so I found someone myself and she has been great. I think I had about 6/7 sessions initially but then dip back in when I feel the need. Sometimes I just need someone to remind me and put me back on track, or to listen while I offload. But these books are going to be a big help I know.

Evie xx

Thanks Evie,

strange how a year down the line I'm needing the forum again.

This place was my lifeline this time last year and as a result I made some lovely friends and we all keep in touch by a private FB group.

But feel a bit out of sorts at the mo, probably as Im thinking "this time last year" so Im trying to dip back in here and help others now going through what I did. 

I hope you find the books helpful Evie. I was recommended the mindfulness book by my Cancer hospital and by a friend who's also had BC and her daughter runs courses on it. I do feel you have to be in the right frame of mind though. My niece and her husband swear by it. Can I ask how many Counselling sessions you had and was it via GP? The other book I found really helpful and honest obviously written by professionals and people who'd gone through the experience. I hope to still have internet access when builder's are here so if you reply I will try to answer. Julie x

Hi Lilacmoon14

Welcome to this thread - and good news that your first year mammogram was clear. I hope you find the books useful, I am really glad I found the Cancer Survivors Companion and will be ordering the others Julie recommended. I found it helpful to realise that most of us have similar worries/anxieties and that it’s normal to feel that way after what we have been through. We then have to “tame” those worries. Do chat away on here if that helps and do share any of your plans for your new direction (if you want too of course, I don’t want to sound nosey!)

Hugs, Evie xx

So glad I found this thread.

I just had my first year mammogram and thankfully no cause for concern. My next appointment now isn't until the 9th Nov with Onc/BCN and then a letter re my second year mammo came Friday (freaked out for a mo as letters from the hospital always put me on edge) and its for the14th May next year. 

I'm not so sure where my head is at the mo but finding this thread and the recommend books means I'm off to order them. 

I'm trying to find a new direction for my life and maybe some books will focus my mind. 

Many thanks again xxxxx

Thanks Julie, I’ll have a look at those. Xx

Hi Evie I've a number of books but the one everyone seems to recommend is A Practical guide to finding peace in a frantic world. The other one is The Complete Guide to BC by Dr Liz O'Riordan and Professor Trisha Greenhalgh. They are both books that can be dipped in and out of. Your Counsellor sounded very helpful. It's hard to say if mine's helping as I've so many other things going on that I feel I can't move on. That's why she's referring me to my Cancer hospital. Speak Soon. Julie x

Hi Julie - I’m totally with you about not having builders etc in the house when you are away, for all kinds of reasons. I prefer to be around. Thank you for your kind wishes about moving - I will only finally believe it when I see the removal lorry here!

I am very impressed with your memory - yes, you are right, I have had counselling and found it very helpful. It was good to see all the things my counsellor has said written down in the book we both bought. At times of stress or panic all the things she has told me go right out of the window. Have you found yours helpful? I hope you get the next referral too. I too would like to find out more about mindfulness, in fact I just bought a book about it when I bought the Cancer Handbook (think it was suggested as being one of those books that others bought and of course I fell for that sales technique 😆). I haven’t yet read it. What other books have you got that have helped.

Evie xx

Thanks for your message Evie. We may try and get out as otherwise clicking our heels. Some have mentioned about why didn't we have it done whilst away but we'd be on edge all the time and not relaxed. Moving is stressful too. We've done it a number of times and always say never again but who knows!! Hope your move goes with no hiccups.

I agree about the book. In fact I'm just about to have a read. I have a few already especially about mindfulness but I'm still " trying" that as I don't find it that easy. Did I read before you've has counselling or have I got that wrong? I'm having some via my gp but it's due to end soon so my Cancer hospital is arranging some- I hope as I seem to fall through all the nets.

Thanks for the hugs and speak soon.

Julie x

Hi Julie and oldspice

Oldspice-good news on tamoxifen and also that your BCN is happy to give results next week. Thanks so much for recommending that book, everyone should have a copy! It’s so sensible and helpful and makes sense. 

Julie - having any work done in the house is an endurance test, a necessary evil! Can you treat yourself to some meals out to help cut the stress a bit? Hope it goes as smoothly as possible. Thanks for asking about me, I’m in the middle of trying to move house. That is sending my stress levels high, but I’m sooo excited about the move. 

Hugs to you both 🤗🤗

Evie xx

Good news about the Tamoxifen so let's hope things will improve you. I also hope you get good news next week when you speak to your BCN.

Hope you're ok Evie?

The builder's are starting the work Monday. It could take 5 - 10 days and I'm dreading it!! Just before we go away.

I've also started reading the book.

Julie x

Hi I rang the BCN today but she said that she was unable to give me the results of my scan as it is not normal practice on a Friday as if I got recalled I would have to wait until next week to make an appointment. She did say however that I could ring again middle of next week, so I will do that. She also gave me some good news that I can come off Tamoxifen on my 5 years anniversary in September which should improve my skin and hair. 🙂 

Thanks for your best wishes Oldspice. If you contact the BCN I would still ask her about your results. All BCN' s have access to your details. I found this out as I spoke to two of them and was told this. Good Luck. Julie x

PS Julie hope you get the flood nightmare sorted soon 🧡💚💜

Hi, I was given a number for a BCN today as I have some questions about Tamoxifen I want to ask about. I also asked the radiographer if I could ring for the results but was told no. Thanks again for you and Evie's kind wishes it is so nice to know that with the forum I am never alone xxx

The waiting is awful. Have you a BCN? I rang mine a week later and she had results. That said it's the only thing she's done for me though. I agree with Evie and speak on here whenever. Hugs to you both. Julie x

Oldspice - it's a horrible time isn't it when our minds go into overdrive. I think you are doing the best you can and keeping occupied. Someone once said to me - if I worry about something in advance and it doesn't then happen, then I have worried for no reason. If it does happen then I have worried twice. That is so true - but it's hard to put it out of your mind totally. I know you are active on these chats - so chat away and let others help you get through the next 1-2 weeks.

Thanks for the hugs and sending some more to you too.

Evie xxx

Thank you Julie and Evie for your kind wishes. I am not feeling so good right now but I never do after mammograms. I am trying to keep occupied with reading some good books while I wait for the results which they said should be in 1-2 weeks time. Sending you both hugs xxx

I've replied once but it seems to have disappeared!!

Thanks for your kind words Evie.  Hsve received the book. 

Julie x

Hi Julie

Of course we don’t mind you joining in - and thanks for the hugs 😊. I’m also looking forward to seeing this book, it sounds good.

Really sorry to hear about your flood - that happened to my sister recently. Horrible at the time but afterwards all is new and fresh.....these things really are sent to try us!

Hugs to you too and really hope you get your house sorted quickly. 🤗

Evie xx

Hi Evie and Oldspice hope you don't mind me joining in the conversation but I've ordered the book too and have just had a message to say it's on it's way. I will let you know how I get on. Hope all goes well today Oldspice and I agree the wait is the worst part. I'm a stress head as it is. At the moment we've had a big flood in the house and waiting for a new lounge ceiling and bathroom floor! Plus all the decorating etc!! Stress or what! Along with going away in 3 weeks. I too am from Wales Oldspice but further up the valley. Hope to speak to you soon as I haven't posted in ages but do keep up with things on here. Hugs to you both. Julie x

Thanks so much, I’ve just ordered it. Sending you big hugs for your mammogram today and hope the reassuring results come through as quickly as possible. 🤗🤗 Evie xx

Hi Evie, it is called the Cancer Survivors Companion by Dr Frances Good Hart and Lucy Atkins x

Hi oldspice - I'm looking for that book you mentioned, could you let me know the name of the author as there seem to be a number of books with that title.

Many thanks

Evie xx

Thank you Evie. Sending you hugs x

Hi oldspice- sending you my very best wishes for your mammogram tomorrow and thanks for a great post. That was really helpful to read, for anyone whatever stage they are at. I think I should look at buying that book, it sounds as if it has some good advice in it. Evie xx

I know how it is. I have major anxiety right now as my annual mammogram is tomorrow on the exact same date I was DX 5 years ago. The waiting for results is the worst bit as all the what-ifs come on like a tsunami. This time I have had feelings of impending doom more than usual, so I consulted the Cancer Survivor Handbook and used thought taming to challenge why I feel this way. I have reasoned that the date itself is the  main trigger  as I normally have my screenings in December. Also I think the 5 years landmark is significant as I have waited so long to reach it and I don't want to be dealt another rotten hand. The taming techniques are to reassure myself that the date has no influence and challenging my fortune telling and thinking everything will go wrong when there is no proof that it will.

Hi Raaspberi - I wanted to send you and your family, especially your mum, a big hug for her mammogram today. Anniversaries and scans are always tough times - I agree with you, I wish there was some way to ease the stress. Someone suggested to me that I should try to turn the date into a positive memory date, so plan a trip/meal/etc around this time of year so it isn’t always associated with diagnosis. 

You are very thoughtful to have come on here to look for support for your mum and your family. It is also tough for the family, so make sure you too have the support so that you can in turn help your mum. This forum is a great place to offload.

Sending you my very best wishes

Evie xx

Mammogram Time Again

Tomorrow is my mum's 4th mammogram after successful lumpectomy surgery. This time of year the anxiety always hit new levels for her and the family. I wish there was a less stressful way of going for a yearly check up but I know it's for the best. Fingers crossed.