cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need Hug or Kick up the Backside

Sue C
Community Champion

Re: Need Hug or Kick up the Backside

Yes, I did a few years back, when I was having migraines and panic attacks. I got a referral from the gp. It was helpful in terms of talking things through with a sympathetic listen and working out what is causing the anxiety. Worth a try? Xx
Jill1998
Community Champion

No Sue ,have you ?
Sue C
Community Champion

Jill have you tried CBT?
Jill1998
Community Champion

The middle of the night is the worst time isn't it ?I generally get better during the day,helps if I have company and distraction but do spend a lot of time on my own at moment and that doesn't help ,love it when husband and son arearound but they like their space !!! Can you buy those herbal anxiety meds ?I wonder if they are worth a try for me ?
Jbelle

Sue C.... am happy for you to hear that it a cyst!! It's best to check out every concern as to put our mind at ease.

Jill..... so sorry to hear that you had a tough night and hard day. Hope that all will get better as the day progresses. 

As for me, my anxiety started at wee hours of the morning and have been trying to counter it with the breathing techniques. Can't seem to shake off the sad feeling!! 

Have a lovely day and hugs to all

Sue C
Community Champion

Thanks Jill
Sounds like you need a trip to the gp. Don't be afraid of going. I don't think you can go on like this xx
Jill1998
Community Champion

Great news Sue!!!Im not having a good day ,had very little sleep after waking up with a pounding heart at 1am, today breathing very bad as trying not to use new inhaler as makes anxiety worse .Trying not to bring everyone in the household down with me by constantly talking about my ailments but it's hard!! Glad I have the forum and other outlets via friends .
Sue C
Community Champion

Morning Ladies
So had my check up....it appears that I have a cyst. Another lovely side effect from the letrozole apparently. Nothing to worry about thank goodness! Quite painful having US, but as nurse said, worth the pain!
I'm sure they must all know me by now...always seem to be having one check or another. Consultant said its not uncommon.
How are we all today?
Sue xx
Feather1944

Hi all

I was just flicking through the threads and I noticed something about lungs.

Like Jill, I had Asthma for years but now I have Bronchiectasis.  At my pre-op assessment, my peak flow reading was very low , so I have to go for a Lung Function Test, before the Op.

Blueash, I will try the breathing exercise xx

blueash
Community Champion

You want to fully empty your lungs - then you can fill them up again.

Most people breath badly - in that their breathing is too shallow. You don't get as much oxygen as you are capable of when that happens. More oxygen means that you will not be as tired/fatigued as you might be.

When I was on chemo my bloods went too low to continue and they were talking about giving me a blood transfusion. My blood was not able to carry oxygen - nothing the matter with my lungs or my breathing, just that my blood could not carry enough oxygen.

That is not uncommon and it gets worse with every round of chemo which is why you feel worse after each one. Also that's why they give you a blood test before so that they can judge if it is safe to give you the next dose. Sometimes they reduce the dose or give you longer in between. In my case they stopped and brought the rads forward. They were OK about stopping because I am also having Herceptin.

Jill1998
Community Champion

My issues are a bit complicated as had flare up in asthma which may be due to painkillers (codeine ) over a period of time ,then prescribed an inhaler that helped but which made anxiety worse ,so back on brown inhaler which doesn't greatly help and cutting right back codeine to hopefully settle Breathing .It is hard at the moment to tease out what is causing what -just know Im fed up with it all.☹️
Jill1998
Community Champion

Who do you breathe out for longer ?
blueash
Community Champion

I forgot to say - still breathing in for a count of 4 or 5 and breathing out for a count of 6 or 7 if you can manage it.

If that is too long then a comfortable count BUT make sure you breathe out for longer than you breathe in.

Jill1998
Community Champion

Thank you Blueash you are a star,I will give it ago tomorrow when I feel a bit calmer .
blueash
Community Champion

Jill, I can coach you on breathing.

Wear loose fitting clothing around your waist, sit in a dining type chair, feet on the floor and keep a straight but not stiff back. You want your nose,chin and belly button in a straight line.

Then breathe in for a count of 4 and breath out for a count of 6.

Do that for a few minutes 2 or 3 times a day. When you can do that comfortably move on to the following.

Get a lightweight magazine -  lightweight as in does not weigh much, it is a prop you are not going to read it!!

Lie down flat on the floor on a carpet. I would prefer you not to use a pillow but if it is too uncomfortable without don't use a huge one. 

I am going to teach you how to use your diaphram when you breath.

Put the magazine on your tummy, I want you to lie flat, arms comfortably away from your sides, palms facing the ceiling, feet about a foot apart and let the toes fall out so your feet form a V shape.

Now for some conscious breathing - I want you to breath in and lift the magazine with your tummy as you breath in.

Yes that's right - lift the magazine with your tummy as you breath in.

Then I want you to let the magazine fall when you breath out.

Do that for a few minutes a couple of times a day.

Jbelle

Yes, I went for a class. After reading and researching, thought I would give this a try. For the exercise and also, to be calmer from the anxiety...... amongst others

I did enjoy the class, learning to breath ..... can't believe that I am learning how to breath properly.....and doing the exercises......Must say that, I do feel better

xxx ❤️

Jill1998
Community Champion

Did you go to a class ?
Jbelle

Yes, Jill, me too.... breathing too fast and shallow, most times feel that I can't get enough breath. Today, I learnt so much.....didn't even know that we have upper lobes, mid lobe and bottom lobes to fully breath in to. 

You can get more info under - Yoga Breathing Exercises or Pranayama

There's a website you could have a look, under Health and Yoga

Happy reading!

maryminder

Hi Ladies

Good day today, went with my son to meet  his friends 11 week old baby Jacob and have spent the last couple of hours having a cuddle, great way to relax and de stress.

Hope everyone is haveing a good day as well

Mary x

Jill1998
Community Champion

Learning to breathe properly is definitely something I need to work on as I'm sure I breathe too fast and too shallow and make things worse .Where have you found the info ?
Jbelle

Hello, Jill..... how are you today? 

Sue C.... nice to hear that you are alright

Today i started on yoga, learning to breath properly and realising how rusty my body is!! Must say that it does feel good although exhausted.

Take care 

Jill1998
Community Champion

Glad you are having a good day -I'm having a so so one - as advised I have stopped new asthma inhaler as seemed to be making anxiety issues worse and gone back to old one as a consequence my breathing is now bad and that then causes anxiety - can't win !!! Oh well ...
Sue C
Community Champion

Hi Jill

Yep, all good today☺ How are you? Xx

Jill1998
Community Champion

How's everyone doing today - hope the thread is quiet because everyone is feeling peaceful and calm!!!😳
Jill1998
Community Champion

PS they have to clear your picture before we can see it !
Jill1998
Community Champion

Someone suggested we have higher levels of the stress hormone corsodil first thing in the morning - I looked it up and that's true .Now what can you do to counter act it ? Been for accupuncture ,took all my strength not to run away !!! Now feel exhausted and my asthma is bad - prob combination of the stress and talking for an hour -can't win !!!
Jbelle

IMG_0418.JPG

Jbelle

Totally agree, mornings are the worst.  Maybe, it's the strain or fear of facing another day......

Have an anxious / worry free day, Ladies..... try to ❣️

Sue C
Community Champion

You're right Jill, mornings are definitely worse. Difficult to get going some days xx

Jill1998
Community Champion

Woke up feeling rubbish after feeling a bit better yesterday afternoon .Mornings are always the worst -wonder why -is there a scientific explanation ?
Jill1998
Community Champion

Sending you a hug Janey,beyond helpful advice at this time of night due to lack of sleep and extreme anxiety all day,better day tomorrow for all of us ??? I have found that stopping new asthma inhaler has reduced anxiety by 50% so just shows you how much medication /supplements can help/hinder ..,
Janey2

Confession time. Have been feeling worse daily and have made the connection I ran out of super strength evening primrose. Bought some more and took one this morning and, although I'm still stressy, noticed a real reduction today in panic and anxiety ... I don't care if it's a placebo, although I did also get an hour in the garden. I wonder? Wishing you all some relief too x
Jill1998
Community Champion

The wobbly support group is now formally established!!! Hopefully we can take it in turns -or we will be in big trouble !!!
GillieAnn

Hi All,

Just had a little catch-up read. Jbelle - you are not going crazy, promise! But I'm sorry you've had a tough day.

Jill, ooops, I blame the tree. What a nerve, are you ok?

Janey, the sun has finally come out here in East Anglia, have you managed to get back into the garden? I too love to garden and it makes me happy. Last winter the OH and I planted a baby oak on a piece of land we own, by the spring it was a twig with 5 leaves and now it is a slightly taller twig with 5 leaves and about 7 little branches and more leaves coming. I am so excited.

Mary, I'm loving the fellow wobblers thing.

I know it is a bit late in the day but here is my funny medical story.........  My Mum met my Godmother when they were both in the maternity hospital, shall we call her Enid....... Anyway, after she had had her baby her husband gave her a huge bunch of those lovely smelly lilies you can buy. One of the long brown stamens from one of the lilies must have found it's way into her wash bag and ended up in the bath water when she had her first bath in the hospital after giving birth (it was 60 years ago). So when the long brown stamen floated past her in the bath water she was so horrified she just screamed the place down thinking something something vital had come adrift inside. Big panic apparently and lots of running Doctors and Midwives. Poor thing....... I'm sure I would have done the same.

Peaceful dreams my wobblie chums, better days are coming.......

Love Gillx

Jill1998
Community Champion

Yes - do it !!!!! Ok ,tomorrow you can talk some sense into me !!!!
Jbelle

Many thanks, Jill..... will definitely call my doctor to discuss the break from Tamoxifen. 

Appreciate that you have put things into perspective ......

Hugs ❤️

Jill1998
Community Champion

PS remember it's YOUR decision not theirs and they don't have to live with the horrible life spoiling side effects .
Jill1998
Community Champion

Lots of ladies I know have taken a break as advised by oncologist up to 6 months when they have really serious effects .They don't seem too concerned regarding a few months break at all ( the oncologists) .It helps to establish what's causing what - if you get a lot better you know where it's coming from if not - you need to work out how to improve things.There are no guarantees with Tamoxifen - they know that it helps some more than others and maybe some ladies not at all -you can get a re-occurrence on Tamoxifen .There is research going on to establish who will be most helped by taking the meds.Ring them and ask for a discussion regarding a break for a couple of months and don't be fobbed off .
Jbelle

Oh dear.... are you alright? Is it a bad cut? Hope that all is okay

Whenever....at every appointment, I brought up this subject, my oncologist just tell me to take my antidepressants and insisted that I continue on Tamoxifen.

Actually, I have never thought that I could take a break and I was too afraid to stop taking because I fear recurrence. 

Now that you have pointed out to me, I would discuss with him on taking a break.

Take good care, Jill ❤️

Jill1998
Community Champion

Forced myself to walk round block again with dog -walked into a low hanging branch .Didnt even realise I had cut myself til son said -Mum why are you bleeding ?
Jill1998
Community Champion

After 4 years if it is the Tamoxifen it's not gonna get better - a few months to adjust maybe not years .It obviously doesn't agree with you and there are other ladies who have had similar and had to come off for the sake of their sanity .Have you tried having a break from it for a few months to establish whether it def is the Tamoxifen ?
Jbelle

This forum has helped me..... knowing that I am not alone in battling anxiety and reading all the ladies struggles made me realised that I am not going nutty. 

Have been on Tamoxifen for 4 years. Initially, started with joint aches / stiffness, night sweats, hot flushes then following year, extreme skin dryness, weight gain then low moods/ anxiety got progressively worse. 

Thats why, I asked my doctor, how long more it takes for my body to get use to being menopausal.... how long more do I have to struggle emotionally? Finally, he did say that .....let's see how it goes this year and then switch to other alternative.....which I have yet to further discuss.

Thank you, Jill for talking to me..... it is helping to make my day better 😘

Jill1998
Community Champion

Don't be daft ,that is what this forum is for .Sometimes the people closest to us find it really hard to know how to deal with all of this .Some minimise it cos that's easier than the scary reality of someone close to you having cancer.How long have you been on the Tamoxifen ?
Jbelle

Yes, Jill, it seem forever..... today seem so long and been crying on and off.... really dunno why.

Being alone also doesn't help..... when my hubby is around, most times, I still feel alone. On top of that, my family don't even ask how am I doing..... they behave like I am having a flu bug!!

I am on Tamoxifen and my doctors confirmed that my mental / emotionally condition is due to chemo and this med. They have advised me to give it some time for my body to get use to the menopausal state and it will get better with time. I really hear the doctors but how long is that going to be? 

Honestly, I never thought that the treatments and Tamoxifen will have such big impact on my mental / emotionally state. 

Sorry, Jill ..... for being such a crybaby...... 

Jill1998
Community Champion

What hormone tablets are you on ? I know people who have come off the meds because they made them feel so awful mentally .
Jill1998
Community Champion

It will pass - it just seems like forever when you're in it .If you have found tablets that help you Jbelle take them for a while then when you are feeling better come off them gradually ,don't feel guilty for taking medication to help . R u at home on your own today ? That doesn't help does it ,too much time to dwell on how you feel.
Jbelle

Thank you for the big hug, ladybowler and Sue C........needed that!

Dunno what is wrong with me ..... today, my hot flushes are coming hourly.....feeling really tired, down and sad, for no reason.....also had a cry, don't know why 😥...... feel so overwhelmed with everything.

When would this ever pass??

Sorry ladies for my wobbly state....

Jill1998
Community Champion

When I was in hospital for hysterectomy a lady in bed opposite me ended up very poorly with an infection that they couldn't get on top of .She kept trying to get out of bed attached to all her drips etc and we had to keep yelling for her not to - always seemed to be at night when very few staff.One night she was delirious and thought we were in the Houses of Parliament and that I was Tony Blair ??!!! The nights were not that relaxing .... felt so sorry for her but at times was funny .
Jill1998
Community Champion

Best tell some jokes and funny stories to get us through the day then ...
ladybowler
Community Champion

Jbelle

Here you go a virtual hug xxx

hug.jpg