Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

One Year Since Diagnosis

19 REPLIES 19
Evie-S
Community Champion

Re: One Year Since Diagnosis

Hi Louise

Thank you for your kind words. Have you got a date for your x ray? I'm not medical but from what I've heard/read and from what you wrote I would definitely say that your GP is just being ultra cautious after you've have BC and doing a belt and braces check. As I understand it sinister pain doesn't go, and yours responds well to medication. Maybe try a different type of overnight bag to test that idea - do you have one on wheels? In the meantime, try not to let your mind go into overdrive and fear the worst. Easier said than done I know. Someone said to me - if you worry about it now and it turns out ok, you have wasted time worrying, and in the event that it needs treatment - then you have worried twice. Please feel free to chat on here or via a private message if it helps to chat and offload.

Big hugs

Evie xx

louiseh1104

Hi Evie,

So pleased to read that the consultant seems happy with your recent results.  I saw the GP this morning and she told me it didn't seem to be thrush, it seemed to be hormone-related changes due to the medication.  I rather cheekily mentioned my future appointment for the lower back pain I had been experiencing for some months and I said it may well be due to lifestyle factors (because three times a week, for over three years now, my son and I spend the night with his dad, and on these days I am lop-sided carrying a heavy overnight bag on one arm and my handbag on the other.  Also, the mattress at my house is very thin).  I explained it responded well to Ibuprofen Gel and Paracetamol and she said it may well be mechanical back pain.  She then stunned me when she said "Would you like me to refer you for an x-ray?" and printed the form off there and then.  I was shocked!  She said I could discuss the results at the future GP appointment.  "Scanxiety" immediately kicked in.  I haven't booked a time for the xray yet, as you have to wait 2 hours for the hospital to receive the referral, so I shall ring them later this afternoon.  

Looking forward to hearing from you again soon.

Take care,

Louise Smiley Happy

Evie-S
Community Champion

Hi Louise - thank you for the hugs. I'm so pleased to hear that your mammogram was normal. Good that you have booked a GP appointment - I'm sure all the drugs we have had/are taking must have something to do with the various issues we all get, but it's always wise to get your GP to reassure you. Do let me know how that goes.

I've just had to have a womb scan and hysteroscopy - as Tamoxifen can cause issues. It's one thing after another isn't it! Thankfully consultant seems happy with the results.

Big hugs to you too

Evie xxxx

louiseh1104

Hi Evie,

Great to hear from you!  Mammograms were both normal, so that was a huge relief.  I have had problems however with thrush, or thrush-like symptoms, this past month or so.  Swabs came back as normal, but I have asked my GP to suggest further treatment.  I have also been really achey over the last couple of days.  Ibuprofen gel really helps.  I have booked an appointment with my GP to discuss things.  I think I might have been overdoing things recently and perhaps sleeping awkwardly.  I started Tamoxifen last December and continue to have Herceptin every three weeks, so they probably have something to do with it all too!  I am on red alert all the time.

I'll let you know what the GP said.

Thank you so much for being so thoughtful and getting in touch again.

Sending you huge hugs! XXXXXSmiley Happy

Evie-S
Community Champion

Louise and Jay68 - I was just looking back at some old messages and hope you both got reassuring news.

Evie xx

louiseh1104

Hi Evie,

Lovely to hear from you.  My oncologist appointment was reassuring and the mammogram went well thank you.  Now just have to wait for the results.

I have finished my mindfulness book and have taken a lot of what it said on board!

I hope that your appointment goes well and will be thinking of you.

Take good care and chat again soon.

Sending you big hugs.

Louise.

XXX

louiseh1104

Hi Jay68,

Lovely to hear from you!  My mammogram went well thank you.  It was all completed very quickly and the nurse was so understanding.  I will get the results in about a week or two.  I was surprised when she said they would write to me with the results.  I didn't like that!  I was so pleased to read on the Forum that your mammogram went well too.  

My "aches and pains" have subsided, and I suppose we all have to expct them!

I'll be having Herceptin until the end of July, so not too many sessions to go now, all being well.

Sending you big hugs.

Louise

XXX

Evie-S
Community Champion

Hi Jay

Thank you for your kind wishes. Mine is a routine appointment for a check over - but every time I go to any appointment I get very anxious. It takes me right back to the diagnosis appointments.

I’m glad you had a lovely sympathetic lady for your mammogram, that makes a big difference. I hope you can plan lovely treats for yourself for the next 10 days to keep your mind off the results.

Evie xx

Jay68
Community Champion

Hello Evie - good luck with your appointment next week.  Is it just a general check over?  The mammogram, of course, was over and done with so quickly and the lady was so gentle and kind it really wasn't anything to be anxious about.  I now have the next stage of waiting 10 days for the result.... x

Evie-S
Community Champion

Louise - how did your appointment with your oncologist go? I hope he was able to reassure you. Hope you get the results of the mammogram quickly and that all is good there too.

Jay68 - hugs to you for your mammogram this afternoon. I totally get how you are feeling. I’ve got my next check up with my consultant next week and already I’m getting anxious about it.

Evie xx

Jay68
Community Champion

Hi Louise - hope your yearly mammogram went well.  I've got my bi-lateral mammogram this afternoon - my second since treatment finished - anxious is how I'm feeling - not necessarily about the actual thing but just the thought of having to remove my clothes and present myself - I would never imagine I'd have felt like this back in April/May 2017 when it seemed wherever I went - I was lifting up my top!  Time is a healer they say - it could be true!

As for aches and pains - I think as we get older we inevitably get them anyway - for us who have been through all what we have they seem even more frustrating and worrying.

Good luck with the remainder of your Herceptin injections - how many more do you have to go?

Take care x

louiseh1104

Hi Evie,

Thank you for getting in touch.  I have been reading my mindfulness book and found it very helpful.  Also, I'm a huge fan of crossword puzzles, and this provides another welcome distraction.

I have been a bit worried, over the last few days especially, about general aches and pains.  But I keep in mind that the medication I'm on, Herceptin (which I had yesterday) and Tamoxifen can cause these, though a person's imagination can still run away with itself.  I have a follow up appointment with my oncologist next Tuesday, so I will mention these to him.  Then a bilateral mammogram on Wednesday.  

Take good care and keep in touch.

Sending you lots of hugs.

Louise 

XXX

Evie-S
Community Champion

Hi Louise

That sounds like the perfect way to mark the day, with your special family and some chocolate brownies! 

I'm a big fan of mindfulness books/apps.

Thanks for the hugs too. Happy to chat on here any time, or privately if you prefer.

Hugs and strength

Evie xx

louiseh1104

Hi Evie,

Thank you for your kind message.  I kept it quite low key on Wednesday.  My little boy, his dad and I all went for a meal and enjoyed a lovely, naughty dessert - warm chocolate brownies with ice cream!  

I'm doing OK.  Bought a book on mindfulness today, which I hope will become a kind of friend (just like other publications from Breast Cancer Care did, to be honest!) 

Sending you lots of hugs,

Louise 🙂

Evie-S
Community Champion

Hi Louise

Thank you for your kind words and hugs, much appreciated. I just wondered how you marked Wednesday? Hope you are doing ok. 

Hugs, 

Evie xx

louiseh1104

Hi Evie,

Thank you for your kind reply. I'm definitely going to do something special on Wednesday to mark this landmark date. Yes, a person could drive themselves crazy living in a perpetual state of fear, but as you said, we have to live our lives in the here and now, or it's not really living. A new mindset definitely kicks in, a new way of thinking. A huge mental leap!

Sending you lots of hugs.

Louise🙂

Evie-S
Community Champion

Hi Louiseh - great reply from Helena (Ladybowler). You are absoutely not whingeing - I and everyone else on here will relate to what you say. Especially when your sister sadly died from this vile disease - I'm so sorry to read that. 

I find anniversaries or going back to hospital for checks particularly hard, so don't beat yourself up or tell yourself off for "whingeing". This forum is a wonderful place for offloading and just being yourself. There is no judgement, just great support. If you can, try to do something nice on Wednesday and turn the date into a positive memory rather than a diagnosis date. I am 2 and a bit years post diagnosis and am still working on that plan, so easier said than done!

It is also really hard to avoid cancer stories in the press/magazines or on TV - on the one hand we are drawn to them in case there might be some useful info but usually it is some sort of scare story. So try to be selective about what you read - again easier said than done but another plan I am working on.

There was a similar chat on here a while back and I saved a lovely piece of advice by Jobey68 and I refer back to this when I have a wobble. I'm sure she won't mind me pasting it here - 

"There just in no way we can have a 100% assurance that this will never come back but we have to believe it won't to be able to move on. We can't spend our lives in fear of what may be as that just robs us of enjoying the here and now.
I'm 4 years post diagnosis in March and every year that passes brings confidence, we don't read about those who have gone on to have no further problems, they are off living, it's the sadder stories that get published but that doesn't happen to the majority. My mindset is if I need to deal with it again then I will but for now all is well and that's what I focus on. It does get easier, Cancer won't always be in the forefront of your mind I can assure you"

In fact nobody, with or without cancer, knows what is round the corner so we just have to try and live our lives and take each day as it comes.

Sorry, this turned into a bit of an essay!!
Big hugs to you - do continue to chat on here if it helps.
Evie xx
louiseh1104

Thank you so much for your encouraging words Helena. It's great to know that it does get better over time. It will just take some practice, which I am willing to work at!

Sending you lots of hugs too.

Louise 😊

ladybowler
Community Champion

louiseh

I just wanted to say you are not whingeing, it is perfectly natural to feel that way you have been through so much it does take time to adjust, but you are clearly doing some positive things to help you which is really good.  Many of the ladies on here will totally relate to what you are feeling.

I am now two and half years past my diagnosis with active treatment finished in Jan 2017.  I can honestly say that it is not the first or last thing I think of in a day now.  yes it has changed my perspective on life, but in a good way, I no longer stress about things that are really not important.  I do get aches and pains still but again they pass very quickly, I dont know if it is the hormone tablets or just that I am getting old :).  I was told that if you still have something that you are worried about and it has not gone after two/three weeks, then to give them a call, if for nothing else peace of mind.  I have never had to do that, but again you cant help but get concerned because of what you have been through.

Sending you hugs

helena xxx

louiseh1104

One Year Since Diagnosis

Hi, 

I'm new to this forum.  This coming Wednesday will be one year since I was diagnosed with a stage 2, ER+, Her2+, 23mm carcinoma in my left breast.  The lymph nodes were clear.  After 7 rounds of FEC-T chemo, a lumpectomy, then a second op to remove some DCIS in the margin,, I was given the all clear in December.  I finished 20 sessions of radiotherapy on the 1st of March.  I will need to be on Herceptin for one year and need to take Tamoxifen for 10 years.

Apart from digestion issues, I seem to have got through the chemo with no long term side effects.

Sadly, my sister passed away due to breast cancer aged 42 in 2016.  I have had genetic testing and was told I do not have the BRACA gene.

I know that it will take some time to get back to a "new normal" and I have the Moving Forward book from Breast Cancer Care, which is a great help.  I am also trying not to get as stressed about things as I used to and am using breathing techniques to help with this.

The past year has been such a whirlwind.  I'm 40 and have a beautiful, beloved, 5 year old son.  He has been my strength and driving force, but sometimes a sweet smile, laugh, or gesture etc from him, still has the power to rip my heart out, just like it did when I was first diagnosed.  I know that I am lucky in so many ways, and am truly thankful, but sometimes feel that I am living in a constant state of fear.  Cancer is the first thing I think of in the morning and the last thing I think of at night.  I fear any aches and pains and my body is a source of fear for me now.  I read newspapers and unintentionally find myself looking out for stories about cancer (not a good idea, I know).

I am definately a different person to who I was one year ago, and I am trying to adopt a new, calmer way of thinking about everything.  Cancer certainly puts things in perspective.

I'm sorry if this sounds like whinging, which some would correctly say it is, but I was just wanting to share these thoughts and ask for any advice about "letting go", just a little bit, and how to feel hope again. It's so true when people say that unless a person has been through a similar experience to you, they cannot fully understand how you are feeling, no matter how hard they might try.  I know I'm more aware of these issues because the first anniversary is coming up.  Sometimes I feel mentally drained and exhausted, but am trying to pull myself up.

Thank you for reading this. X