cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sadness and new anxiety

9 REPLIES 9
Highlighted

Re: Sadness and new anxiety

Hi k_fo69, it has been so nice to receive these lovely replies and to know I'm not alone with these worries and feelings. Thank you all very much and if saying how I feel has helped any of you too then you are welcome. Just so surprised about feeling this way. Hugs to you all, Pog x

Highlighted

Hi, feeling a great deal of sadness and anxiety too. Searching for comfort, thank you for your post. I suddenly feel less alone . I hope you are too after all these lovely replies. Such a hard time for you. My fears have been brought on by someone close’s good news. Oh the irony! Really did not expect that.  A virtual hug to you. x

Highlighted

Thank you. I know will get through this and manage to distract myself eventually.  

Highlighted

Hi Pog, Old Spice here. I fully understand what you are going through as since my diagnosis in 2014  I have lost 3 colleagues to various cancer (one of them to secondary BC) and it gets me every time. My anxiety levels go up to 11 and all the sadness, depression and what ifs start flooding through my mind. It is a nightmare! However I do find that burying my head in a good book can do wonders for chasing the anxiety demons away, especially children's books 🙂 Going for a long walk also really boosts my wellbeing. I know it might not work for everyone but for me it is immensely therapeutic. Sending hugs Michele x

Highlighted

Thank you

Highlighted

Highlighted
Community Champion

Hi Pog
I know exactly what you mean about not wanting to tell family and friends how you feel, that’s why this forum is so great. You are not selfish at all feeling how you do, all kinds of emotions are whirling around at the moment. It's a big shock to read bad news in the press, but really hard when it is close to home. I had some counselling after I finished treatment to try to help me deal with everything that has gone on, and the fear of recurrence. I know that talking to my counsellor has helped a lot, so please do chat away if that helps you to process all your emotions.

A while ago I saved a really great post in a conversation about "fear goblins" - which I keep re-using and hope the original author doesn't mind -
"There just in no way we can have a 100% assurance that this will never come back but we have to believe it won't to be able to move on. We can't spend our lives in fear of what may be as that just robs us of enjoying the here and now.
I'm 4 years post diagnosis in March and every year that passes brings confidence, we don't read about those who have gone on to have no further problems, they are off living, it's the sadder stories that get published but that doesn't happen to the majority. My mindset is if I need to deal with it again then I will but for now all is well and that's what I focus on."
It is of course easier to say than put into practice, but none of us knows what is round the corner, whether we have had cancer or not. I am certainly not telling you to just get on with things, but letting you know what I try to tell myself when the fear goblin rears its head.

Big hugs
Evie xx
Highlighted

Thanks so much for your reply. 

I don't know what else I can say or do except suck it up and get on with life. It just made me feel so sad, then suddenly anxious about myself which made me feel very selfish. Haven't been able to tell anyone else how I feel, they're all too close.

Thanks again, much appreciated.

x

Highlighted
Community Champion

Hi Pog

I read your post and wanted to give you a massive hug. I'm so sorry to read the news about your friend and can really understand how the news has shocked and upset you. Our journeys are up and down at the best of times. I am searching for some wise words to try to help, but not coming up with anything this evening. But maybe you need someone to listen rather than advise and so I want you to know that you are not alone with your feelings and that I'm happy to listen and chat on here or private message if that would help.

Hugs, Evie xx

Highlighted

Sadness and new anxiety

I've been motoring along just nicely, 6 years on from surgery and treatment. Last week I learned that a lovely lady who had given me loads of support when I was going through it all had died.  We celebrated when she reached her 5 years and discussed her ongoing treatment with Tamoxifen being increased from 5 to 10 years. She moved to another branch to work closer to home about 18 months ago. It seems the cancer came back and she deteriorated very quickly. I am absolutely shocked to the core. Her death has affected me more than I can say. All of a sudden, the boundaries are blurred again and everything seems uncertain. I reached 5 years a year ago and now feel very insecure again while feeling awful for her family after all that hope has been dashed.