Scared of recurrence

Hi, im 12 months after my initial diagnosis for left breast cancer and all treatment, surgery, chemo and radiotherapy finished! Im on Letrozole as my cancer was her2- a 2.3cm tumor with 10 positive lymph nodes! Im having my ovaries removed to make sure im menopausal and also having bisphosphonates for prevention to the bones! Im still really scared of secondaries recurring as my diagnosis was so poor! Are there any other members on here who have had a similar diagnosis in the past and have gone on to survive without a recurrence! I think every ache and pain is a sign its come back even more so now ive finished treatment, probably just need a bit of reassurance that i will survive this and see my twins grow up im 49 with 13 year old twins and a fabulous husband! I know there are no guarantees but to have hope that people do live well with so many positive nodes without having a recurrence would give me a positive boost when dark thoughts take over!

Hi so sorry to hear of your diagnosis,
I also was hit with breast cancer a year ago,
I’m 52 and just love life ?
Only went for my routine mammogram hadn’t felt any lumps got called back for further biopsy to be told I had 5 tumours in my left breast,
Had a year treatment, just finished such s tough year,
only now take tomixfen 1 tablet a day,
I’m just like you love life but do live in fear wondering whether I’ll get secondary,
Would be great to hear back from you
Ang from ipswich xx

Harps - Ang thanks for replying, it is such an awful shock as like you i was loving life, not feeling ill at all then got hit with this awful diagnosis, well i suppose we are past the worst now a year on from diagnosis and treatment so lets hope we both can start enjoying life again and hopefully in 10 years time we can look back on here and give hope to others who are in the same position as we are now, it would be lovely to keep in touch Ang and hopefully others may comment who have gone through it and are still alive and well years on, big hugs lovely, Deb from Staffs xx

Thanks for getting back hun, certainly look at life different and don’t put things off,
Enjoy and appreciate every moment now, I never take for granted life now
Got 3 daughters and 3 little grandsons, with who I adore ?
No one really understands unless you’ve been through the diagnosis hence why I’m trying to find friends and get reassurance from different chats and hopefully meet ups for coffee ?xx

I’m 47 had 38mm tumor one node very swollen with cells 1 year out of treatment 19 months since diagnosis full treatment no hormone drugs as tn managing recurrence fear is a challenge at times mostly Im Good and don’t think about it its really just a statistical thing me my onc is very hopeful about me and doesn’t believe in giving recurrence stats as the can cause anxiety I’m sure lots of us will go on to live happily without bc taking over but it’s normal sometimes especially when there is a follow up or a mammo due etc I find gp visits sometimes too!!! I’ve been told as time goes on this gets much better and easier to cope with!!!
Mishy Newcastle!!!

Thanks Mishy, it is good to know im not alone in these fears! Im ok most of the time but occasionally these negative thoughts creep in, but realise thinking positive is the way forward and to try and put this behind us and live our lives, my oncologist says there is no rhyme or reason as to why some bc comes back and others dont so to live your life and try and put your fears away! Lets hope we can move forward from this ordeal, hugs Deb x

Thanks for your lovely supportive message hun
In remission for 5 years so still have follow up appointments which to be fair it’s piece of mind,
Just seems like when I’m keeping positive I then get told someone who had the diagnosis it’s reaccured
Have to keep busy, so I don’t have time to sit and think what if !!!