Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Swelling Under SNB Scar

3 REPLIES 3
Anniej
Community Champion

Re: Swelling Under SNB Scar

I think that’s great news , Louise. The antibiotics should do the trick, and this disease is enough to make anyone run down! My BC nurse recommended Aveeno cream before I started treatment, and my rads team would only let me use that as it is oatmeal based and very easily absorbed. I still use all their products and have, touch wood, escaped any skin problems. Super careful with skin as my chemo normally lifts nails from their bed as well as generously giving mouth ulcers and thrush. Escaped those by taking Manuka honey every day. Well, I think that’s what helps. Certainly a dab on cold sores, to which I’m prone, sees them off in 12 hours. Hope you are feeling reassured, and that you get well soon. X

louiseh1104

Hi Anniej,

Thank you so much for your kind reply.

My mind was going into overdrive yesterday, so I made an emergency appointment with the GP who examined me and said she believes it to be a reactive lymph node.  She said they were slightly raised on the other side too.  I have been a little run down lately, so she prescribed antibiotics and booked a follow up appointment for one week's time. 

I really didn't realise how long-lasting any symptoms caused by surgery, and indeed any other part of treatment, could be.

I really should take more care of my hands.  I have had OCD about washing my hands for decades, and they very rarely are without splits or red skin.  It has improved over the years, but I will certainly take your advice about being more careful!

Day 2 of the antibiotics today, so I shall let you know how I get on.

Take care, sending big hugs,

Louise

Anniej
Community Champion

Hi Louise, how very sensible to get an appointment to get it sorted. If it makes you feel reassured I still experience pain where my WLE was, and that happened in 2017. Don’t shave my arm pits as hair doesn’t grow there due to rads, but also advised by BC nurse to use an electric razor if needed. I was advised to glove up for both gardening and washing up in case I cut myself, so if you have a cut it might very well be that it’s a bit infected. If so I’m sure antibiotics will sort it. I scratched my finger on a rock in the sea and it got infected. So easy to do. Us girls just need to be a bit more careful. I’ve abandoned the washing up to my husband, so one good thing came of it! Let us know what happens. Good luck.

louiseh1104

Swelling Under SNB Scar

Hi,

I was treated for primary BC in 2018 and had SNB, which was negative, then chemo, 2x WLE, Herceptin and radiotheapy.  Now on Tamoxifen for 10 yrs.  I have been experiencing an aching in the affected armpit for a couple of months now, and when I examined myself, no swellings were found.  This morning, there is slight swelling directly under the scar on my armpit and the inside of my upper arm is a bit tender.  I spoke to my BCN this morning, who has booked me in to be seen on 20th Feb.  I have had a cough and cold, and also right now I have a large cut on the middle finger on the affected side. She asked if I shaved my underarms, which I do, and she thinks it may be a reactive lymph node.

I was wondering if anyone had had a similar experience.

Many thanks.

Louise