cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The winter blues are back

20 REPLIES 20
Highlighted

Re: The winter blues are back

PS Happy New Year to you Delly! Just seen your reply - my husband does like walking and we do these coastal walks around Barry, Sully and Llantwit Major when weather allows it 🙂 We haven't recently though due to the appalling weather. We tried to get some others in my local BC support group to walk with us a few years ago which worked for a while but then they stopped turning up due to other commitments. The idea of putting up a notice in our little local bar might be a good idea as some of the locals did express an interest in getting fit after Christmas so might give it a go. Best regards to you and take care, Michele x

Highlighted

Hi Delly, Old Spice is both a skit on the Spice Girls i.e. I am old but spicy, but also puns the aftershave. I remember the days when guys used to wear the stuff along with Hi Karate, Brut and Denim!

Highlighted

Oldspice - Ps. Ref your name! My Dad used to always wear Old Spice aftershave, but he didn't surf huge waves! I'm harking back to the adverts for it years ago now, for those who remember X

Highlighted

Oldspice - Hi there. Hope you're managing to keep in a more "Up" frame. I didn't know where Barry was, so rather than remain ignorant, Googled it. Corr, some lovely looking Blue Flag beaches! Ref walking again, when I mentioned can't you set up a walking group, I wasn't meaning a big or "formal" walking group. Just finding a few others locally somehow, who like you sound, would be more interested and keen to walk if they had some company to do it with, from both the safety point of view + the more enjoyable with company aspect. Even if it's just a regular local beach walk and a cup of tea or one(?!) at the pub. Might there be anyone/others at your local pub or work? Is there a notice board you could pin a notice on asking if anyone would be interested, to get in touch? Just trying to throw a few ideas in, flower. Sometimes it just takes one small spark that makes something else happen.  

Is your husband not interested to walk then? 

Wonkydonkey (That's with ref to my previous Xmas cracker joke! Smiley LOL)- Thanks, for your Xmas and Happy New Year greetings Heart Happy New Year to you too. Hope it's a better one for you. I'm intrigued so I'll pop in on Pet Lovers, especially as I'm also huge animal lover.

My HAPPY NEW YEAR wishes go out to everyone else too. Hope you all have a good one

xxxxxxx

Highlighted

Hi ladies.

First up -Delly, I did reply but message didn't seem to 'take on the system' so as missed wishing you a great Xmas, sending a big Yorkshire hug for New Year. 

Our Spice Girl in Barry - hiya and glad you seem a bit chipper than when you began this thread. Books are my main escape, I do sweeps of charity shops plus some Amazon to keep a good wee library going. HAVE to have books about me. They feed the soul if you ask me! Have sent separate reply under "Pet Lovers" - just off phone to insurance company and seems I can get some money back, so purring at present - lol.

Happy New Year girls..... I never enjoy NYE, find it weirdly depressing but we all manage to keep on trucking and there's always something nice to think about, even if it's just a telly programme you fancy. Wonks x

Highlighted

Hi Delly, yes I live in Wales but in Barry where it is very built up and can be quite 'lawless' especially in evenings. Without trying to make excuses there is not much going on for people who work full time as any groups or classes tend to take place on weekdays (apart from Slimming World!) The walking groups are mostly in Cardiff, the only other is in Penarth 6-7 miles away by car. TBH I don't have the spare time to set up my own group 🙁 There are no walking books for my area but I have some leaflets produced by Valeways (local council), however many of the routes are out of date as landowners have forcibly stopped access to some of them so going on these walks can prove extremely frustrating! We do however have the Taff Trail which is easy to get to by train, only problem I haven't done it recently is that it has rained heavily practically every weekend since start of October! Bottom line is the only way I can chill out is to read books or when finances allow go to sewing classes which I both enjoy. Although the health police frown upon it after a BC DX I also like to spend an evening in our local pub to socialize and relax. I suppose I have to do what I can with the resources available to me.

Highlighted

A very Merry Christmas to you all.

Oldspice, Wonky and Shi - I can see your "lights" from way up here in't North (Northern speak). They are looking fabulously bright and colourful. Yahoo!

Oldspice - I can't remember what area you are. Is it Wales? I note your liking of the outdoors - walking. Are you saying there are NO rambling groups close to you? Are you that much out in the styx? If so, that's such a shame. I'm only saying this as a fellow lover of walking/rambling - the "therapy" aspect of it you mention, and having been lucky to have enjoyed the social aspects of walking groups whenever I've moved to a different area. It having been such a help in the past. Dancing classes too, socially and exercise wise.

Are there any local night school classes close to you, that you may be interested in, as a starting point? That may put you in touch with others who may also be interested in walking, that you may get together with and do some with? 

I'm only throwing ideas in the air. Could you perhaps start a walking group? Are there any walking books for your region that would/could make it easier - that 'you' could lead, or take turns to?

That must be so difficult for you, with your SAD and Aspergers, on top of your BC experience. I can relate to, have something of a shared empathy to/with major depression downers, my having a Bi-polar Disorder, that's quite frankly detracted from any of my previous BC concerns, it being equally as life threatening. Gives me a different perspective on it.  

Wonky - I'm soo glad to see you back posting on the Forum. Think there was a misunderstanding between you and I? Me being a little too forthright? Glad you haven't let it keep you away. Truly wish you nothing but the best, you know - note that's a heartfelt, and forthright "truly", girl! Smiley Happy Heart

Lots of love to everyone xxxxxxx    

Highlighted

Thumbs- up. Isn't it incredible the depth of strength we can muster. So glad to read you are in a lighter place. Wonks x

Highlighted

Hi Wonky, I read on another post of yours that you experienced a major wobble so hoping you are in s better place now especially with Christmas coming up. Me? I am still battling through the wet and dark winter  and dreading January and Blue Monday in particular but keeping that thought parked for now. In the meantime I am enjoying the eat drink and be merry philosophy - no Zen stuff for me or po faced 'you have had cancer so can't have  any fun now' I am more like a naughty elf😂

Highlighted

Hi Spice. Whatever works girl! Main thing is contentment. I am so glad you have tuned into things that give you that - Star Trek etc. Wonks X 

Highlighted

Hi Wonky, no singing and dancing unfortunately but I am enjoying His Dark Materials and binge watching various Star Trek series. I am also reading the Philip Pullman trilogy and already on the third book 🙂

Highlighted

Hi Oldspice, how are you doing? Hope you've managed a sing/dance and found some decent telly programmes. Wonky X

Highlighted

Hi Shi. Yep, you get it completely. Truly don't mind what we call it. Just stuck a CD on and working up to a therapeutic boogie & dance. And have a candle twinkling away for us all. X

Highlighted
Community Champion
Community Champion

Sorry wonky just seen you’ve started string of light thread already ❤️❤️Let’s all light up the world ❤️❤️💕💕Shi xx

Community Champion
Community Champion

Think wonky came up with the idea because anyone who is struggling to see light at end of tunnel (there was a post both of us replied to yesterday where someone was) so think wonkys idea is everyone can send light to each other so everyone knows there are lights being shone for people to keep looking for when they are struggling at any point in the journey at any stage 👭👭 just shining a bit more light and love towards each other 👭 does that sound about right wonky? I thought it was a lovely idea 💡 that wonky had, don’t know if you want to title thread shine a light for each other or something like that, not sure if you’ve thought of title wonky? 💕💕Shi xx

Highlighted

Post a 'light' to add to the string .......x

Highlighted

Hi Wonky! Not sure what a string of lights post is but it sounds like a good idea. Go for it....

Highlighted

Hi Spice, that sounds a bit better. Just smiling as I think of that phrase "dance like no-one is watching". I have a neighbour who dances whilst he Hoovers and though I'm not a Nosey Parker, sometimes hard to not notice as he has big windows and very good John Travolta moves. Makes me smile. 

I invested in a Free View Box a few years ago, works off an Ariel, cost maybe £50 ( one off outlay) but gets you lots of extra channels, better choice. Does me grand. 

Been having a little bit of a chat with Shi ( on here) of late and we kinda came to same conclusion it might be nice to try to start a 'string of lights' theme, for over Christmas/Winter. What do you think, should I start a post??? Let me know what you think! Wonky X

Highlighted

Thanks Wonky, I know that there isn't a lot I can do about the recurrence fears  but I agree with you that playing music and singing along is great therapy. I have luckily had chance to do this when my husband goes to the pub on weekends. During the week it's impossible as I don't get home from work til late so have to put up with the rubbish on terrestrial TV (can't afford cable or satellite). Thanks for being so upbeat and optimistic though, much appreciated x

Highlighted

Now there our Spice Girl, hold your horses! Not disagreeing with you, but things you can do to make Winter better maybe.....nice candles, comfy throws, your favourite foods and a while ago some of us agreed that sticking on a favourite CD at full blast and having a mad sing along/dance around can help. 

Sorry little help, but just wanted to say something. Hug from Wonks.

Highlighted

The winter blues are back

Well yesterday it happened. A FB friend of mine who has been battling courageously with TNIB sadly passed away. I took to the cancer well-being group in work for support and found that one of the members has also been diagnosed stage 4 20 years after getting the all clear. As a result my mood just plummeted and I am now rock bottom in a pit of despair. Why do these things happen in Winter when I am already struggling with depression? (I have severe Seasonal Affective Disorder) As soon as the blues set in I start wishing I could retire and get on and do the things I want before it is too late. It seems as if everyone will get a recurrence sooner or later and I am filled with dread at ending up unfulfilled and dying in service just to get dispatched and forgotten. It is made worse by my having Asperger's Syndrome and no family or close friends to turn to. I don't believe in counseling or medication as to me it is just a smokescreen to mask the problems not cure them. I know what works and that is for me to get out in the day light walking not be stuck in a dark office and  do the activities I enjoy preferably in a group but sadly there are none which take place in the evening or weekend. It looks like I am back in my catch 22 again ☹️