7 REPLIES 7
Lisa scott

Re: Why am I not happy after treatment

Thank you for your kind words x

Eglis

@Lisa scott and @adoptedmanc 

Give yourselves time!

i was exactly the same - didn’t feel happy for ages but suddenly I noticed I was smiling to myself more, singing more and generally feeling happier.

whatever the treatment, first we have to deal with a shock, then we have physical issues following the op and radiotherapy.  Suddenly we think it’s all over but mentally there’s some catching up to do and also recovery needed.  It’s a grieving process.

Try to do something you enjoy each day, keep putting one foot in front of the other, take each day as it comes ….. hug yourself and be kind to yourself. 
i went walking each day ….. the feel of the weather really helped me and I became one of those mad tree huggers - nature gave me strength 

it‘ll get easier - share your worries but keep putting one foot in front of the other

Wishing you both all the best!

Jill1998
Community Champion

Lisa scott

Thanks I’ll have a look for that. I’m thinking of contacting Maggies to see what they say. I appreciate your advice x

adoptedmanc

Have you seen the paper which has been posted several times on this forum about the psychological effects of having treatment for cancer? It might help to explain the alien feeling. (if not I’ll see if I can work out how to post!) 

Have you been able to speak in person to any other ladies going through treatment (I’ve found joining a support group through Maggie’s to be invaluable: whilst we’ve only met online it turned out one lady literally lives a mile from me so we arranged to meet and chat)  

I have had struggles with my mental health in the past and received a course of CBT and I’m able to draw on some of the skills I acquired through that   

AM xxx

Lisa scott

It’s such an alien feeling for me to be this down with no motivation I just hope it doesn’t last too long x

adoptedmanc

Hello @Lisa scott 

I could have written the exact same post (June diagnosis, lumpectomy and SNB, radiotherapy in October), only difference is I haven’t gone back to work as yet. I’m currently signed off until January (I’m in the fortunate position that financially this is OK). I’m struggling to get excited about Christmas and facing the New Year with trepidation as I really don’t know how I feel about my job. 
Thankfully I have a 12 year old daughter full of life and enthusiasm so I’m taking my cue from her for now. 

AM xxx

Lisa scott

Why am I not happy after treatment

I was diagnosed with breast cancer in June. Iv had surgery to remove the lump + lymph node removal. I finished radiotherapy in October and have been back to work about 5 weeks however I feel down most of the time I have no desire to really do anything. Things  I loved doing and internets before I’m not bothered about. I can’t even be bothered putting my Christmas tree up which is really not like me. I know people are looking at me thinking I’m through it all now you should be happy but then I feel guilt because I’m not. I don’t feel like my old self anymore and I don’t know why or how to move forward. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.