mammograms after

Hi. Had my first mammogram 2 weeks ago following 2 ops in 2017, chemo, rads, Herceptin which all finished last October. Feeling unusually anxious but guess that is normal. I just have a question to ask. How often are followup mammograms? I got a letter to say I have one for Dec 2020, which seems a long time between.

Hi Sam, the guidelines used to be a mammogram every year for 5 years and then join the screening programme again. However I understand these guidelines have now changed and mammograms will now be every 18 months ongoing. This practice is in both England and Wales (where I live) but don’t know about Scotland. Hope this helps xxx

Hi. Thanks for that. Thought they were forgetting about me!

Hello,
Practice definitely varies. In England I was told mammo was every 2 years for 5 years after treatment, and in Scotland every year after treatment for 5 years and possibly 10 before reverting to the usual every 3 years.

However, I don’t think the variation is on a country basis only but varies according to different areas within a country. Just like follow on appointments after treatment. Some places do a face to face annual appointment and others do nothing but you can ring a number if you have any concerns.

My concern would be that if a mammo every 18 or 24 months is as good as an annual then why put some women through unnecessary mammos by doing them every 12 months and also waste scarce resources? Are the time intervals for post treatment mammos being extended for the benefit of women or because there are not sufficient resources? Are we unknowingly part of an experiment at the moment to see if longer intervals are sufficient?

Anyway, if necessary for peace of mind, I would have one done privately. However, I do think the reasons for variations in practice should be made clear.

Julita - if you are in UK/NHS treatment, then the mammogram screening programme is for every 3 years anyway.

The general NHS screening ptogramme is offered from age 50 to 70 (although there are/have been trials to check benefits of starting earlier or extending age to 73). A third of breast cancers occur in women over 70.

From their 71st birthday, women themselves can request a mammogram via the NHS. So if you want to have one you can make a request yourself at your local NHS Breast Screening Centre.

Regards,
Chick ?

I have to say, I have the same thought as to who is benefitting from the extended time between mammos. I am sure two years ago on diagnosis I was told it was every year for 5 years. We just have to put our faith in the docs and NHS.

That’s absolutely appalling - isn’t anybody campaigning on the issue?

I’m due my 4th annual post diagnosis mammogram in March so will see if I get called then if things have changed recently, I’m not overly worried now as I’m 4 years on but I think in the early days I wouldn’t have been happy being left for 18-24 months X 

That is very useful info. Thank you for that. Will be speaking to my bcc to enquire.

Hello Optimissy64,
I think you are quite right. NICE guidance or SIGN guidance (Scotland) does not need to be totally followed. Another example was experience of Dexa scan. Even though there was recommendation to have Dexa prior to post menapausal hormone treatment, the hospital had its own protocol. This was no Dexa unless you scored more than 10% on a risk fracture assessment! I scored less but lovely Onco still arranged Dexa - I think because I offered a reasonable argument why I should have one!
Chick ? x

Hello again,
They assess it by completion of the Frax Risk Assessment in absence of specific Bone Mineral Density (BMD) measure. Anyone can assess the Frax Risk Assessment tool online - make sure you use the right one for the right part of the world you live in! Taking Aromatose Inhibitors is not considered to be a risk factor… ? X