cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DCIS / Cancer & Diep Flap

Highlighted

DCIS / Cancer & Diep Flap

Hi all, 

This is my first post!  Looking for some advice and just wanting to 'talk'.  I was diagnosed with DCIS last October, had my first wide excision in November and when they analysed the tissue that they took out, there was some true cancer in there.  They then did a further wide excision three weeks later and due to finding the true cancer, also removed my lymph node.  The node results came back clear, but the tissue extracted on the second excision showed another 37mm of pre-cancer.  I've already had 8cm of pre-cancer and cancer removed and was told that they could try another (third) wide excision, but it is 50:50 as to whether they would get a clear margin and if they didn't, they would need to do a mastectomy anyway and if they did get a clear margin, I would have to be monitored very regularly, as the cancer that they found put me at high risk for it to come back in 5, 10, 15 years......  Bearing all of that in mind, I have taken the decision to have a mastectomy, to take the concern / fear away.  I am waiting for a date for my surgery, but am opting for an immediate reconstruction (Diep Flap) and wondered if anyone else had been in a similar position that could tell me what kind of things to expect please!  Nervous of the surgery, but do feel it is the right way to go. Thanks in advance.   Angie X