349632posts
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DCIS / Cancer & Diep Flap

Highlighted

Re: DCIS / Cancer & Diep Flap

Thanks Angie I will rest up & zone out with a few movies.

i am anxious about results & what’s next I pray I don’t have to go through chemo that scares me.

but I will do whatever I’m told.

keep strong 💪 

I am pleased you feel ready to go back to work mind yourself on the trains you are still fragile do you have a sitting down job ? Ease back in slowly I actually can’t wait to go back to work.

i work full time but plan to go in on less hours to start with our health is our wealth.

i will keep you posted ok & thanks for your message means a lot.

keep up your good healing your amazing 😉 Xxx

Highlighted

Hi Nicky, 

Lovely to hear from you and so glad to hear that the surgery went ahead as planned - great you were first on the list!

Hope you recover well, thinking about you. 

Please let me know when you get your results. 

I am hoping to go back to work next week. I only do 2.5 days, as the children are still young, so I do a job share.  It's in St Pauls, so I might do a later start and earlier finish to avoid rush hour on the tubes.  But that is still TBC. 

Have a good, restful Sunday, lots of Netflix and relaxing. 

Hugs, 

Angie X

Highlighted

Hi Angie 

sorry late reply I had a busy week & yes surgery went ahead yesterday morning I was lucky first on the list & not slept to well but I’m going home today with the one drain in & this will be removed in 5 days.

i feel a bit sore & uncomfortable hey ho nothing like the first operation.

fingers crossed results come back clear.

i hope you are doing okay 👌 

speak soon when I’m home xx 

big hug 🤗 

Highlighted

Hi Nicky, 

Just wanted to wish you GOOD LUCK ahead of tomorrow....and hoping you are still scheduled for it to go ahead. 

Let me know how you are when you can, sending you huge hugs and lots of positive vibes.

Angie XXXX

Highlighted

Hi Nicky, 

How are you?

I totally understand you wanting to get the op over and done with, so that you can get to the next stage and yes, you're absolutely right, I felt the same way.   Not long to go now lovely and you will be there, getting it done and then you can move forward.  I am keeping EVERYTHING crossed for you. 

They need to start me on the tamoxifen - which will be when I am a little more healed.  I have to go back to see my PS in about 3 weeks time, just to check the boob.  The stomach is healing really well, but after my second surgery I am a little behind, so it just needs keeping a close eye on.  Still very bruised and harder in places, but am just letting it take it's course!

Glad your children have been very supportive, how many do you have?  Are they married yet?

Sending best wishes and gentle hugs your way. 

Angie XXX

Hi Angie 

Small world isn’t it with us both having lived in the same towns we have probably passed each other around the shops you never know.

I actually can not remember the names of the night nurse I had she was young & from Spain long reddish hair she was a real sweetie I will see them all again I guess on Friday fingers & toes crossed.( I have packed my little overnight bag 💼) I just want this op over & done with a bit like you may of felt when you had to go for second op.

How cute your little boy helping with the washing bless him.

its great you are up doing a few bits & healing well.

What has your consultant planned for you now do you know?

Are you under the breast clinic at Barnet now that would be a small world also as we could of sat in the waiting room at the same time🤔

No fences down this weekend thankfully but last weekend we had 2 down 😟 weather has been so miserable.

I have cooked today which was good & it’s only me & the hubby at home so easy dinner for 2.

My children have flown the nest now but all live close by ish & have been amazing support.

Hope you have had a nice chilled weekend with your family but taking it easy at the same time.

you have got this too 💪 keep strong Xxx

Highlighted

Hi Nicky, 

Ah yes, Cold Harbour Lane, not too far from us!  I lived in Barnet for a while about 20 years ago!  How funny!

Yes, I was also at the Royal Free.  I had a lovely nurse that was on night duty called Sonham, she was absolutely amazing!!! 

Keep thinking positive lovely, you have got this!!!  Hopefully they will not cancel your scheduled surgery, will keep it all crossed for you. 

I am healing well thanks.  My tummy is apparently ahead of where it should be, so that's good!  I had a c section a few years back with my second son and that pain was similar, so it kind of prepared me!  The breast is a bit behind where it should be, due to the second surgery I had to fix the Hematoma, but that is to be expected.  Family are being amazing, am doing little bits and bobs where I can. My eldest son (7) is carrying the wet washing to the top floor of our house for me, where I hang in on airers to dry and I am actually able to hang it up, so that's great.  

Keep in touch and hope you are having a relaxing weekend and no storm damage!!! 

Angie XX

Highlighted

Hi Ya Angie

mad isn’t it that having a couple of busy days knocks the stuffing out of us i was told this happens & going back to work will do the same & like you I really want to return it’s just I guess we want normal again.

Wow you are in Bushey I once lived there just off cold harbour lane I am now back in Barnet where I grew up.

so I told the consultant I didn’t wish to know the length of time the operation takes as I knew from knowing the last op was 10 hours that made me anxious.

i will be back in the royal free I guess you had your op there too with you being pretty near me.

its a one night stay I will come home with the drain in & 5 days later I shall have it removed by my lovely cancer nurse Eileen she has been amazing with me through this I sure have had many hospital appointments like you probably.

Then it’s waiting time for results on lymph nodes I have asked what comes next but this all depends on results I’m told.

its all kinda set me back as I did plan to return to work at the end of this month hey ho got to keep thinking positive.

I was told there is a chance the operation could be cancelled due to there being a big list I have to keep my fingers crossed I do not get a cancellation phone call.

i need to get this done sitting around waiting sends me back in worry mode.

so how are you doing are you healing ok & I do hope that you’re still resting up & allowing family to help out still.

i put some washing on the other day for the first time in a few months & made a nice veg soup it felt good to do something useful 💁‍♀️
big hug back to you 🤗🤗🤗Xxx

Highlighted

Hi Nicky, 

So sorry for the delay in getting back to you, been a busy couple of days and it took it out of me!

Okay, so 21st Feb, that is not too long to wait, I am glad for you.  Do you know how long the op will take? How long will you be in for?  Which hospital are you going to?  Sorry, lots of questions!!!

I know what you mean about routine! I want to get back into mine too!  Aiming to go back to work the first week of March, if all is OK and continues as is.  People think I am mad too and tell me to take more time, but we all deal with things in our own ways - recovery is very personal - and that's one of my coping mechanisms!

So I am not too far from you, I am in Hertfordshire (Bushey).  We used to live in Winchmore Hill though - whereabouts are you?

Sending hugs xxxx

Highlighted

Hi Angie 

good to hear you have been reassured I know in a few weeks you will feel the difference & lol your new boob will begin to feel like it’s neighbour & no one will ever know I think they do a fantastic job it just takes time to adjust to the no nipple part but hey they will come in 6/9 months for us 💁‍♀️ Angie I think Us pink warriors will always be paranoid of every twinge from now onwards  it’s normal & guess we just need to learn to move forward from this & yes I think I will be put on tamoxifen if the next op results are clear.
I am just back from my consultant they have provisionally booked me in for the operation on 21st feb but this could be changed as the list is quite long that day.

hopefully it will go ahead I know I’m nuts in saying this but I feel like going back to work soon 💁‍♀️ My friends say take more time but i am getting cabin fever I need normal routine again 😂 I may regret this when my alarm starts going off again at stupid o clock.

anyway you keep resting & thinking about you big hugs 🤗 

where are you in the world I’m in North London.

Nicky Xxx

Highlighted

Morning Nicky, 

Yes, I do feel reassured now, thank you. I think just paranoid after the second surgery.   It is just so swollen and solid ish! compared to it's soft neighbour next door!  Thank you also for your reassurance. 

I will need Tamoxifen, I think I start this I a few weeks once I have healed a bit more. 

I hope it goes well.  Please let me know when you get your surgery date, hope you do not have too long to wait.   

Thank you so much and you too.  Stay in touch and keep me posted with how things go - I am thinking of you lovely xx

Highlighted

Hi Angie

i hope you seeing your consultant yesterday reassured you that your new boob is normal to feel that way as I mentioned mine has felt softer in last few weeks so what’s the plan for you now do you need any further treatment ie radiotherapy or tamoxifen.

I’m at hospital tomorrow seeing my consultant I hope to get a date for surgery I think they are going to remove 8 lymph nodes in total I guess I will find out tomorrow I will keep my positive face on.

keep up your resting & allow all to pamper you.

Nicky xxx

Highlighted

Hi Nicky, 

So sorry to hear of the lymph node, poor you.  When is the next surgery planned for the removal of others and how many will come out?   Thank goodness it was not anywhere else in your body.  I feel for you. You do not need that on top of everything else. 

I did have a lymph node taken out, during my second wide local excision (as during the first, they had found some cancer, along with the pre-cancer).  It was OK though. 

Yes, my breast feels a bit heavy ?! and kind of like it's pulling and tightening. Some parts feel softer than others.  I am seeing my consultant this evening, so he can look at it anyway, to give me peace of mind (hopefully!).

I feel for you with the lack of sleep and meltdowns.  Hopefully you will get the other lymph nodes out soon and they will be clear.  Sending a big (but gentle) hug and tons of positivity. 

Let me know how things go, stay in touch and tell me how you are feeling. 

BIG HUGS again xxxx

Highlighted

Hi Angie

Great to hear your home it is the best feeling huh nothing like being back in your own bed.

sorry to hear about you ending up back in surgery that’s not what you needed or deserved 🤗

so I’m sure your tummy feels pretty numb like mine it takes sometime to get used to it & I was told that you don’t always get the full feeling back after having a Diep flap & the boob feels numb also & once the dressing comes off I was told to massage it so when I had showers I did this with a soft sponge it’s 4 weeks today since my op and things feel softer there now & I can finally sleep on my side 🙏 & im walking a lot better. Keep applying cream on tummy scar & boob it helps.

i have had a few tough weeks back to the tears again as the lymph node they removed during surgery tested positive so I’m going to be operated on again soon to have more lymph nodes removed it was not the news I wanted to hear & I also then had to have full body scan to see if cancer had gone elsewhere thankfully it hasn’t but whilst waiting for results I went right back to how I was on Nov 19th when I was first diagnosed no sleep & too many meltdowns.

Did you have a lymph node removed? 
It’s all so scary the feelings and emotions are unexplainable at times & I look in the mirror and see this pale face staring back at me but I tell myself keep positive I’ve got this 💪 

I hope you’re resting & making the most of all the help you get & watching lots of movies like me although I do feel I get cabin fever a bit 💁‍♀️ But have managed a few walks with my husband.

not lately though due to these winds.

keep me posted on how your doing & keep your head held high your a pink warrior now Xx Nicky 

Highlighted

Hi Nicky, 

Thank you so much for checking in on me!  So kind of you.  How are YOU doing?

I got home on Saturday afternoon - was the best feeling!!!!

I had my surgery on the Monday, took around 8 hours....but then I had a complication on the Tuesday and had to go back for more surgery (basically a Hematoma), so then was under even closer scrutiny!  

At home now and am pretty mobile, my tummy is not as bad as I thought it would be.  My breast is very bruised / pretty swollen under the arm area where the drain was.  Worrying as it feels pretty 'solid' now and panicking that I may have a second issue...but also think I am being paranoid! How did yours feel when you were home?  Was it more 'solid' in places??

Thanks, 

Angie X

Highlighted

hello Angie

how are you feeling after your operation hopefully you are being well looked after & gaining strength 💪💓

hugs 

Nicky Xx

Highlighted

Thank you so much!  So kind!

SO happy that you are pleased with your new boob!  Amazing!  These surgeons are fantastic! 

Hope you continue to recover well. 

Stay strong and well and happy!

I will speak to you in a couple of weeks XXX

Highlighted

Hi Angie 

you are most welcome I think it’s important to be on this site pre op and post op as we are all brave ladies & reading stories & advice sure helped me through.

i had my dressings removed today & made to take a look at my new boob I have to say what amazing clever surgeons I had in that theatre it looks ok just no nipple but this will come in 6 months.

you remember you have so got this ok 💓💁‍♀️ Keep us posted when you’re feeling up to it & once again I wish you all the luck & will think of you on the 3rd.

glad you got fab support & hell yeah you treat yourself to slippers etc ..... I also did the same and a button up pj too as easy to put on .... all the best .... girl power be strong 💪 xx

Highlighted

Hi PinkyFleur, 

Thank you for your lovely reply!

How are you feeling today?  It sounds like you have an amazing and supportive family around you - so important - I am very lucky to have the same and it makes such a difference. 

Thanks for sharing your experience with me and for the tips - good to know.  I am pretty much there with all of the bits for my hospital bag and have treated myself to new slippers and dressing gown!  Why not! 

Recovery time is key, listening to our bodies and just taking the time that we have to let our bodies and minds mend.  

Sending you best wishes and healing, positive vibes always. 

Thank you again for thinking of me. 

Angie XXX 

Highlighted

Dear Emma, 

Thank you so much, that is very kind of you and much appreciated. 

I will loop back in to update you once I am home and feeling up to it. 

Thanks again for the advice and just 'chatting' with me on here, makes it easier to know others that have been through it and how it has all worked out. 

Stay well and happy. 

Hugs,

Angie X

Highlighted

Hi Angie,

It is most definitely a rollercoaster and you are bound to feel emotional. 

Wishing you all the best with your surgery on 3rd Feb. You'll soon be back home recovering. Look after yourself and take time to heal.

If you feel like it let us know how you are doing afterwards.

Emma

xx

Highlighted

Hi Angie

just want to say I wish you all the best with your operation in 3rd February you will of course be emotional & scared but keep strong positive thoughts & remember you are not alone in this so many of us become pink warriors.

i was diagnosed with invasive Ductal carcinoma on the 19th Nov I sobbed screamed & felt anxious all the way through Christmas I hid a lot from my amazing family. I had surgery on 10th January a mastectomy on left breast with Diep flap reconstruction the morning of the surgery was emotional but once that needle went in I knew nothing about it my thoughts walking into that theatre were you can do this this is gonna save me these surgeons are amazing.

waking up I was so relieved to see my beautiful family I was sore and had 4 drains in place to be honest pain relief was good & I spent 6 days on the ward I found standing up quite painful & walking was tough always ask a nurse to assist you & if you don’t feel confident as for the commode I did😊  it’s important to get up but the first few days I found the toughest. I’m home now & it’s day 17 post surgery I still feel soreness but it’s heaps better & I feel so much more human I have done nothing but rest in bed with the support of my family & husband & now I manage to go out for 5 minutes walk in the fresh air it’s amazing.

i have not been brave to look at my new boob I close my eyes  when washing I will get there but when my bra is on it looks the same as the other. Do buy some big knickers for after surgery they have probably advised you of this & don’t over pack your bag like I did you will be in the hospital gown for days because of the drains. Nurses are good at helping you wash & change. I wish you all the luck in the world you got this 💪 soon you will be sitting up in bed watching lots of day time tv Xx

Highlighted

Hi, 

Thank you so much for taking the time to reply to me and I appreciate the detail and tips! I have now put a long handled cotton shopping bag with my hospital stuff, ready to go!

My Op is booked for the 3rd February. I had to go yesterday for a CT scan and a meeting with the plastic surgeon and I felt emotional after that.  Bit of a rollercoaster all of this!  

I also met with my consultant on Monday evening and he said that the consultants had all agreed that a mastectomy is the way to go, given the amount of pre-cancer and lack of clear margins, so that has reassured me further that my decision was correct. 

I hope you are continuing to heal well.  

Thank you again and wishing you all the very best for the future.

Angie X

Highlighted

Hello

Such a tough decision to have to make, but it's great that you feel confident about it.

I was told I was going to have a mastectomy and I chose a DIEP reconstruction and I am really please with the results. I had my op in October. 

I met with the surgeon before the op was booked to take measurements and discuss everything. 

I also met with the breast care nurses who were wonderful and explained the whole procedure to me from arriving at the hospital, surgery, recovering in hospital and then returning home and follow up physiotherapists appointments.

Once I had a date for surgery, I came in the day before to be drawn on, marked up I think is what it's called. I then had a choice to stay in or go home, I opened to go home and come back at 7am the next day.

I had felt really emotional the weeks before surgery, but I felt really calm on the day. 

My marks were checked again and then once in the hospital gown I had to lie under a heated blanket (to improve blood circulation). I met with the surgeons and anaesthetist and then off to theatre. I was so relieved to come round and look down and see a breast shape in the recovery room. Back on the ward you are checked every hour for the first 24 hours, then 2 hours for next day and so on. I found the ward really warm so a hand held battery fan is useful as are PJ's (when you can change in to them) with short sleeves partly because of the heat and partly so you aren't too disturbed in the night when the nurses check your blood pressure. The first day after surgery, the nurses had us out of bed sitting in a chair, the second day, the catheter came out and you can have an assisted shower (the nurse stays behind the shower curtain in case you need a hand) and start walking about.  I was concerned about having a catheter but you won't care while it's in (the first day after surgery you won't have to get up and go to the loo which is a relief) and you don't feel anything. The third day I think the breast drain was removed and then I just had a drain below my tummy to one side. You may be given a bag to put your drains in, but do bring one of those cotton shopping bags with long handles in case, they are really useful to pop the drains in when walking about. The fourth day I could shower on my own, which felt great. I wanted to go home by day 5 but unfortunately the remaining drain, was still draining, so I stayed in and they removed the drain on day 6 which is when I went home. Take it easy at home and move things to a height where you can each reach without stretching up or bending down. A V pillow was really useful too as you have to sleep slightly raised on your back. Apart from a couple of small areas on my tummy, which took a bit longer to heal up, everything has healed really well. My tummy scar is beginning to fade with the help of daily massaging with Bio oil and I'm feeling really good. I haven't yet tried a bra which isn't surgical but I'm going to buy one soon.  I'm really pleased with how everything went and what it looks like and I hope you will be too. Wishing you all the best. 

Highlighted

DCIS / Cancer & Diep Flap

Hi all, 

This is my first post!  Looking for some advice and just wanting to 'talk'.  I was diagnosed with DCIS last October, had my first wide excision in November and when they analysed the tissue that they took out, there was some true cancer in there.  They then did a further wide excision three weeks later and due to finding the true cancer, also removed my lymph node.  The node results came back clear, but the tissue extracted on the second excision showed another 37mm of pre-cancer.  I've already had 8cm of pre-cancer and cancer removed and was told that they could try another (third) wide excision, but it is 50:50 as to whether they would get a clear margin and if they didn't, they would need to do a mastectomy anyway and if they did get a clear margin, I would have to be monitored very regularly, as the cancer that they found put me at high risk for it to come back in 5, 10, 15 years......  Bearing all of that in mind, I have taken the decision to have a mastectomy, to take the concern / fear away.  I am waiting for a date for my surgery, but am opting for an immediate reconstruction (Diep Flap) and wondered if anyone else had been in a similar position that could tell me what kind of things to expect please!  Nervous of the surgery, but do feel it is the right way to go. Thanks in advance.   Angie X