DCIS / Cancer & Diep Flap

Hi all, 

This is my first post!  Looking for some advice and just wanting to ‘talk’.  I was diagnosed with DCIS last October, had my first wide excision in November and when they analysed the tissue that they took out, there was some true cancer in there.  They then did a further wide excision three weeks later and due to finding the true cancer, also removed my lymph node.  The node results came back clear, but the tissue extracted on the second excision showed another 37mm of pre-cancer.  I’ve already had 8cm of pre-cancer and cancer removed and was told that they could try another (third) wide excision, but it is 50:50 as to whether they would get a clear margin and if they didn’t, they would need to do a mastectomy anyway and if they did get a clear margin, I would have to be monitored very regularly, as the cancer that they found put me at high risk for it to come back in 5, 10, 15 years…  Bearing all of that in mind, I have taken the decision to have a mastectomy, to take the concern / fear away.  I am waiting for a date for my surgery, but am opting for an immediate reconstruction (Diep Flap) and wondered if anyone else had been in a similar position that could tell me what kind of things to expect please!  Nervous of the surgery, but do feel it is the right way to go. Thanks in advance.   Angie X

Hello

Such a tough decision to have to make, but it’s great that you feel confident about it.

I was told I was going to have a mastectomy and I chose a DIEP reconstruction and I am really please with the results. I had my op in October. 

I met with the surgeon before the op was booked to take measurements and discuss everything. 

I also met with the breast care nurses who were wonderful and explained the whole procedure to me from arriving at the hospital, surgery, recovering in hospital and then returning home and follow up physiotherapists appointments.

Once I had a date for surgery, I came in the day before to be drawn on, marked up I think is what it’s called. I then had a choice to stay in or go home, I opened to go home and come back at 7am the next day.

I had felt really emotional the weeks before surgery, but I felt really calm on the day. 

My marks were checked again and then once in the hospital gown I had to lie under a heated blanket (to improve blood circulation). I met with the surgeons and anaesthetist and then off to theatre. I was so relieved to come round and look down and see a breast shape in the recovery room. Back on the ward you are checked every hour for the first 24 hours, then 2 hours for next day and so on. I found the ward really warm so a hand held battery fan is useful as are PJ’s (when you can change in to them) with short sleeves partly because of the heat and partly so you aren’t too disturbed in the night when the nurses check your blood pressure. The first day after surgery, the nurses had us out of bed sitting in a chair, the second day, the catheter came out and you can have an assisted shower (the nurse stays behind the shower curtain in case you need a hand) and start walking about.  I was concerned about having a catheter but you won’t care while it’s in (the first day after surgery you won’t have to get up and go to the loo which is a relief) and you don’t feel anything. The third day I think the breast drain was removed and then I just had a drain below my tummy to one side. You may be given a bag to put your drains in, but do bring one of those cotton shopping bags with long handles in case, they are really useful to pop the drains in when walking about. The fourth day I could shower on my own, which felt great. I wanted to go home by day 5 but unfortunately the remaining drain, was still draining, so I stayed in and they removed the drain on day 6 which is when I went home. Take it easy at home and move things to a height where you can each reach without stretching up or bending down. A V pillow was really useful too as you have to sleep slightly raised on your back. Apart from a couple of small areas on my tummy, which took a bit longer to heal up, everything has healed really well. My tummy scar is beginning to fade with the help of daily massaging with Bio oil and I’m feeling really good. I haven’t yet tried a bra which isn’t surgical but I’m going to buy one soon.  I’m really pleased with how everything went and what it looks like and I hope you will be too. Wishing you all the best. 

Hi Angie

just want to say I wish you all the best with your operation in 3rd February you will of course be emotional & scared but keep strong positive thoughts & remember you are not alone in this so many of us become pink warriors.

i was diagnosed with invasive Ductal carcinoma on the 19th Nov I sobbed screamed & felt anxious all the way through Christmas I hid a lot from my amazing family. I had surgery on 10th January a mastectomy on left breast with Diep flap reconstruction the morning of the surgery was emotional but once that needle went in I knew nothing about it my thoughts walking into that theatre were you can do this this is gonna save me these surgeons are amazing.

waking up I was so relieved to see my beautiful family I was sore and had 4 drains in place to be honest pain relief was good & I spent 6 days on the ward I found standing up quite painful & walking was tough always ask a nurse to assist you & if you don’t feel confident as for the commode I did?  it’s important to get up but the first few days I found the toughest. I’m home now & it’s day 17 post surgery I still feel soreness but it’s heaps better & I feel so much more human I have done nothing but rest in bed with the support of my family & husband & now I manage to go out for 5 minutes walk in the fresh air it’s amazing.

i have not been brave to look at my new boob I close my eyes  when washing I will get there but when my bra is on it looks the same as the other. Do buy some big knickers for after surgery they have probably advised you of this & don’t over pack your bag like I did you will be in the hospital gown for days because of the drains. Nurses are good at helping you wash & change. I wish you all the luck in the world you got this ? soon you will be sitting up in bed watching lots of day time tv Xx

Hello, I had a full right side mastectomy and DIEP flap reconstruction 10 March 2020. I am 4 weeks post op, up and about almost regained ability to do most household chores. Have to rest frequently each day so I do not over do things. The site of the DIEP flap healed quickly post op. I am having some problems with seroma in my breast which is lessening as time passes. My plastic surgeon made a 1 cm hole to allow any fluid to drain out. This split further up my breast and I am at a crossroads waiting to hear what next step is. The upside is I have a really lovely new shaped breast and the option to have the other one operated on to match.

I’m sure you’ve made the right decision and that your surgery isn’t delayed for too long in this current situation.I was more fortunate than yourself in the Surgery I had to have so really can’t comment any further.Do feel free to get in touch if you just need to chat,and take each step as it comes. For me the waiting was worst. Virtual hugs to you .