I'm glad you know what's happening now, it's bad enough going through biopsies and diagnosis without being left in limbo at the operating theatre door almost.
Good luck with the surgery and hope you have a speedy recovery.
Hi Daisiemoo, hope you not feeling too bad this morning and that you get that swelling sorted out.
I am home now and waiting for breast link nurse to visit to check wound and drain etc.
yes, a waiting game now for results, my dcis showed 37mm on mammo and was graded intermediate to high from core biopsies x 2. I can’t think about ‘what if anything else is there’ at moment, need to get over this op first.
I am an A cup and having already had 2 x WLEs was glad of mastectomy really.
Keep in touch x x
Hello Kit Kat hope your surgery all went well and hopefully you are at home now.
I had surgery yesterday afternoon which went well but now have a swelling in my armpit and above my surgery site so surgeon seeing me lunchtime to see what might need to be done or not and will have another night in here.
Ingy I had an MRI scan after the marker was put in as they were not sure of size and rather than 3.5cm which was maximum for lumpectomy it showed 6cm so hence a masectomy as only a B cup and not much would have been left and one way t9 esnsure all the other bits of calicification were removed.
Waiting game now for results, booked in for 2 weeks yesterday for my results seems a long time away....
Take care all xx
Sorry to hear about your recurrence, though I'm glad it was DCIS again. But it seems hard after everything you've gone through the first time, to have to have a mastectomy now. That's the bit I find hard, it's living with uncertainty forever more. Mine was 5cm high grade, so a relatively high recurrence risk.
I didn't know that DCIS showed up on an MRI, I hope you can get an answer that way Ingy.
I didn't have my operation cancelled, but did have a bit of a drama over the pellet. It was put in during a vacuum assisted core biopsy, and checked by mammogram after, but on the morning of the operation the radiographer couldn't find it on ultrasound. The mammogram machine wasnt calibrated so there was a very long delay, by which time my operation was rescheduled and then cancelled. Luckily my surgeon insisted it had to be done so eventually it happened about 7 hours later than planned. Not as bad as you having the operation completely cancelled though.
I can imagine you feel really left in limbo, it's hard to be told you have breast cancer and now to be wondering if you do or not. The good thing about DCIS is the prognosis is excellent, and even more so if it is small and low grade. I know there is a trial running where they're not operating on some DCIS but simply watching and monitoring, because some will not become invasive.
I hope you get some proper answers soon about what happens next, maybe they will do another mammogram and if that is clear just monitor things. I also had one hospital for the screening and radiotherapy, and another for surgery, and got passed between them, it isn't a system that seems to work very well if things aren't straightforward.
Someone on another thread recommended a book, by John Boyages called DCIS, Taking Control. I found it was really useful and hugely reassuring. He's an Australian professor, it was the only book only about DCIS that I've seen.
Good luck, I hope you get some answers soon, let us know how you get on. Sending you a hug, this is difficult enough without wandering clips!