Dcis resulting in Mastectomy as a day case

Hello I’m new here, but have been avidly reading everything I can to improve my knowledge of this strange thing called DCIS . I was diagnosed at a mammogram, that I wasn’t going to go to. I only decided over the weekend that I would attend on the Tuesday.

The results were DCIS in 2 areas , mammogram , sonar and biopsy’s. That was in July. I was told by my surgeon and Bcn it’s not cancer, so my other half wasn’t very sympathetic “ it’s not cancer” . Had a Wle in August, 2.7 & 2.8 cms  came back margins not clear. Another wle in September, results came back margins not clear. Another op in October with 7 cms removed. Results last week came back still Dcis in margins. They have now decided it has to be a mastectomy. Although my boob doesn’t look a lot different really ! I’m ok with this decision. Husband finally came round to understand its serious …

Went for pre-op yesterday and was told it was a day case, which threw me , and the nurse who was doing the pre-op said she couldn’t understand why it was down as a day case. I sort of expected it would be at least 2/3 days. My question is … has anyone else had a mastectomy done as a day case? This is the only time I’ve been flummoxed during this 5 month long journey. I haven’t lost sleep over it or cried either. I’m a bit weird I think .lol …

Thanks for reading , sorry I’ve rambled on , it’s the first time I’ve actually written anything down about it , it actually feels good to get out in the open . Hope you can sort my query out. Thanks Pat x

Blooming heck -sounds like you have had a rough ride so far !! I’m not sure about having mastectomy as a day case but I’m sure they wouldn’t send you home unlesss you felt well enough to leave or they had concerns -I think there is usually the option to stay overnight when you are a day case as people react differently to anaesthetic .You could ask this question in the surgery section you may get more feedback from people who have recently had surgery. I will post you a link .Good luck with your op .Jill x