66958members
353365posts
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Lumpectomy or Mastectomy???

7 REPLIES 7
Highlighted
Member

Re: Lumpectomy or Mastectomy???

Hi Flossyadams 

 

I’m so pleased these posts have helped you, I have messaged you on your own post too 

xxxx

Highlighted
Member

Re: Lumpectomy or Mastectomy???

Hi your posts have helped me alot. So glad you got clear margins. Take care in June with raidiaion therapy. The choices and options seem overwhelming,  glad you made the best one for you. X

Highlighted
Member

Re: Lumpectomy or Mastectomy???

Hi Ali49

The results were good,Thank you😊 all the margins were clear, so I have 4 weeks of Radiotherapy (probably end of June) then I’m all done, 

I am dreading my first mammogram but gonna try not to dwell on it (too much anyway 😬

I hope all is good with you 😘 xxxx

Highlighted
Member

Re: Lumpectomy or Mastectomy???

Hope results were good x

Highlighted
Member

Re: Lumpectomy or Mastectomy???

Hi RoxanneT

& Ali49

 

Thank you for sharing your stories with me, I hope you’re both well 💖

It has been a really tough time and I decided to go for the lumpectomy and radiotherapy,I just feel like it’s impossible to make the right decision, I was scared of having a mastectomy needlessly but then I was scared that it’s gonna come back if I just had a lumpectomy 

I had the surgery last Friday, 

I go back for the results next Wednesday, but I’m already dreading my mammogram next year, 

Trying very hard to think positive 💖

Highlighted
Member

Re: Lumpectomy or Mastectomy???

Hi Galeigh. I will tell you my story.

I was diagnosed with high grade DCIS in Sept 2016.  I had a lumpectomy then a cavity shave as they didnt get clear margins the first time.  I then had 15 shots of radiotherapy and my treatment was over.

 

In August 2017 I had my first yearly  follow up mammogram.  The next day I got a call to come in as they had found more calcification.  I had a more precise mammogram and stereotatic biopsies.  10 days later I was diagnosed with grade 2, er+ and her2+ Invasive Ductal Carcinoma!  I had a bone scan and CT to check for spread but Thank God it hadn't.  There was no lymph nodes involved.  

 

I had 6 chemo followed by a mastectomy (with tissue expanderd implant) and a SNB.  The cancer had all gone and nodes were clear. I have had no trouble at all with my new boob and forget that I have it.  I had a year off work but am now back teaching full time.

 

We all have our own experiences and feelings but I wish I had been offered a mastectomy the first time around as I might have avoided the 2nd diagnosis.  Good luck with whatever you decide to do and I hope everything goes smoothly xx

Highlighted
Member

Re: Lumpectomy or Mastectomy???

Gaileigh

Welcome to the club no one wants to join. I'm sorry to hear about your diagnose.

 

I was diagnosed with medium grade DCIS around 18 months ago, 7-8mm in my right breast. I was offered a mastectomy and a sentinel node biopsy (SNB) but other treatment. I didn't think to ask about a lumpectomy or question why it wasn't offered, however I did insist on an immediate reconstruction.

 

Have to admit I haven't coped well with the mastectomy. I didn't realize how important my breasts were to me until I didn't have one anymore. Although I've had the reconstruction I am very uneven, which has also effected me mentally and physically.

 

The SNB was negative so I has the mastectomy.  When I got the results afterward they said the DCIS was high grade not medium and 6mm in length. It was close to my skin so I was given 15 rounds of radiotherapy to my chest and armpit. As it was DCIS I wasn't given any long term meds. It was strange my medical team kept saying I was lucky because it was found at an early stage. Funny, it didn't feel that way Smiley Indifferent

 

Remember it's different for everyone. You may want to ask some questions about the risk of reoccurrence before making your final decision. 

XX

Highlighted
Member

Lumpectomy or Mastectomy???

Hi everyone 

I was diagnosed with DCIS high grade on April the 9th, 

I had attended a randomly selected invite for an early Breast screening where they found a cluster of Calcification and a suspicious cyst, I had a biopsy on both 

(both in the left breast) and had to wait 15 days for the results........

The cyst came back as benign but the Calcification is cancerous.

I was told the best option was to have a lumpectomy then 4 weeks Radiotherapy, my consultant seemed very happy and confident that with this treatment, I would be completely rid of all cancer, so I was happy, confident and feeling very positive too,

I was called in for the surgery to be done last Monday but when they went to put the wires in, they found some more Calcification  so instead of surgery I had another biopsy, (I had a massive wobble at this point and not feeling very positive or confident anymore) but because of what happened the last time I really don’t know wheather to continue as planned or just opt for a mastectomy, my confidence has completely gone now,

I would appreciate hearing others experience in this situation ❤️