Marker in the wrong place!

My head is all over the place right now.  I had my first hospital appointment on Friday and was told that my 2nd biopsy was also cancer.  Two areas of calcification which are 5/6 cms apart.  Doctor said that the 2nd biopsy marker was about 2cms away from the cancer and would make it difficult to do a lumpectomy as he would not be able to find it easily … he then went on to say that he thought ‘something might be going on’ between the two calcifications so it would be best to do a mastectomy.   I was fairly resigned to that outcome but am now wondering if the doctor was saying that to excuse the fact that the doctor doing the biopsy and putting the marker in was careless.   I am just angry that maybe, just maybe, I could have had 2 lumpectomies instead of losing the breast.    I cannot understand why the marker would be so ‘out’, anyone else had this happen to them?  Am I just getting more paranoid?!

I’m not sure about the marker. 

However, I had 2 small tumours (biggest was 7.5mm) in the same breast and had a mastectomy. They have to get 1cm of clear margins around each area of concern so 2 lumpectomies may not be possible for that reason. I’m a C cup so maybe they can operate differently on larger ladies.

Wishing you all the best, xxxx

Hi Lorraine, I don’t have a breast cancer nurse yet, I have to phone tomorrow to make an appointment. I was not really ‘with it’ at my appointment on Friday, having been given the result of my 2nd biopsy I wasn’t thinking straight. It was all a bit of a whirl!I am making a list now of things to ask at my next appointment