cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

WLE surgery

25 REPLIES 25
Trowster

Re: WLE surgery

I asked for my path results after the first op but the BC Nurse said to wait until after the second op, but when I had the next meeting it seemed very rushed and I didn’t get to ask many questions, I’m hoping oncology will be able to give me the information, sorry yours has come as a bit of a shock, but take some time to absorb the news and plan for your next step on this awful journey, 

CoffeeFiend

Thanks Evie. It will be at least a week till I get the HER2 result so I will take the time to gather my thoughts xx

Evie-S
Community Champion

@CoffeeFiend - it’s always a shock when you hear news you weren’t expecting, I’m so sorry to read that. Try to take one day at a time, see what your full results are and what treatment plan your team have for you. I’m sending you big gentle hugs in the meantime, and please ask if I can help with any questions. Evie xx

CoffeeFiend

Hi all

Got most of my pathology results yesterday and it was a bit of a shock. They found 6 mm of IDC in the DCIS. It’s ER/PR negative. I’m still waiting on the HER2 result.  I’ll post about it in the IDC thread when I know the outcome xx

CoffeeFiend

Thanks Trowster. Yep I’m doing the exercises although it’s a bit of a struggle right now I know it will improve. Good luck with your results. Hope you get them soon xx

Trowster

Oh dear ow annoying for you, I had a sermon develop n they drained 300ml but luckily my wounds were ok, it’s very frustrating when you don’t get the information when your expecting to get it, i’m Still waiting for the results of my CT scan and Radioisotope scan, just waiting on the oncologist appointment too and then it’s onto the next stage, I hope you find out soon what’s next in store for you, and hopefully you can start doing the exercises and get more movement, enjoy this enjoy this nice weather while we have it, x

CoffeeFiend

Hi Towcester 

it got a bit complicated last week. I developed a seroma and one of my wounds opened so was told to pause the exercises. I have just started them up again now that everything is back under control. I am definitely a bit stiffer so will have to work hard at them this week. Great to hear you are biking again-watch out for that traffic! My results appointment got cancelled because they didn’t have everything back so have to wait till Thursday xx

Trowster

Hi, how are you doing now has it got easier to do the exercises, I went out for a bike ride yesterday my first in a month, it was so nice to be out of shielding, I’ve now been passed onto oncology so just waiting for an appointment, 

CoffeeFiend

Thanks Towster. It’s not too bad. Just started the more advanced arm exercises and it’s a bit of a challenge but I’ll get there xx

Trowster

hi 

i hope your operation went well and you don’t have too much pain, I had WLE with axillary clearance on 29th March just three weeks after my screening, I hope you have some good support as it must be hard living on your own, please feel free to private message me if you ever need a chat, take things easy, i’ve Been lucky and not had to much pain, but I did have a seroma that I had to have drained, take care

CoffeeFiend

Yes you guessed it. My coffee habit is helping me get through it xx

Evie-S
Community Champion

Hi CoffieFiend - that’s really good news that the op went well and you feel like you are coping. Lots of rest and treats while you recover - and coffee perhaps guessing from your name?! Evie xx

CoffeeFiend

hi Evie, thanks for asking. It went fine. Didn’t have any problems with the anaesthetic and the staff were great. They let me out yesterday morning. I’m tired and a bit more swollen and sore today but coping. Results meeting is on 22 April. xx

Evie-S
Community Champion

Hi CoffeeFiend - I hope all has gone well with your surgery, and very best wishes for a quick recovery. When you feel up to it do let us know how you are getting on. Gentle hugs to you, Evie xx

CoffeeFiend

Hospital is keeping me in overnight on 6th, and then two weeks isolation recommended. I’m clinically extremely vulnerable. I’m used to shielding at this point so no biggie.  Tea’s already made at least. Freezer is full to bursting with my home cooked ready meals!

Pandabear

Dear coffee friend,

yes, as Evie has said,  all the best for your forthcoming surgery on 6th.  You will be fine.  Let us know how you are, once you feel up to it.  Who is looking after you post op?  Hopefully someone who is calm and practical (I did not want anyone fussing,  but needed someone who would cook my tea!).  

Take care, x 

Evie-S
Community Champion

@CoffeeFiend - I just wanted to wish you all the best for your op on 6 April, and for your recovery afterwards. Please let us know how you get on when you feel ready, and in the meantime we are here if you have any questions or concerns. Evie xx

CoffeeFiend

Thank Evie. There is such a lot of information to take in that it’s a daunting process. The support really helps xx

CoffeeFiend

Thank you. I couldn’t take anyone but it was fine. I’m just waiting on blood test results now. My operation date has moved 1 day earlier to 6 April which is OK with me. xx

Evie-S
Community Champion

@CoffeeFiend - some wise words and advice from Pandabear, and I’d also like to wish you all the best for your appointment tomorrow. 🤗 Evie xx

Pandabear

Dear Coffee friend, 

I hope pre op assessment and the meeting with the surgeon goes well tomorrow. Do take a notepad with you to write things down (not sure if you are allowed someone to accompany you yet, due to Covid?)

If you can, write down any questions you have before going.  

Glad to hear friends and family are there for you. 

Do let us know how you get on.

Bug hugs X 

CoffeeFiend

Thank you Pandabear. I have Pre-op on Monday and another meeting with surgeon. They said radiotherapy required afterwards. Feel like I’ve not got my head round the changes the surgery will make yet but have told  lots of family, friends and colleagues over the last week and they’ve all been great so far. xx

Pandabear

Dear Coffee friend

I would reiterate what Evie has said.  

Firstly....breathe.......you've got this. 👍

I had surgery 6 months ago, and had to have  a bit more than a WLE due to the location, but on the whole it was manageable. 

Mentally though, it was a big shock, so I would say, take this time for you, look after yourself, and muster all the friends and family to be around. I was on my own too.  I found it useful to have those that I could blub to and talk about my diagnosis and fears, and also those who I could talk about anything but breast cancer too, for some normality. 

This forum has been really helpful too - the ladies on here just "get it". 

I would also say you can ask your BC nurse all the questions and you hopefully will be given further info packs about your specific surgery and what to expect. Do read those as it helps to be able to take on the information at your own leisure. You are also likely to have a pre op assessment before surgery where they discuss the anaesthetic. 

Have they talked about follow up treatment to you yet - drugs/radiotherapy etc? 

Do keep in touch, and if you have any questions, just ask. 

Take care and big virtual hugs X 

CoffeeFiend

Thanks for your reply. Definitely planning some batch cooking and freezing for the post op period xx

Evie-S
Community Champion

Hi CoffeeFiend - a big welcome to this lovely forum, I’m really glad you found it and hope you will find lots of support and advice.

I had a mastectomy so I’m not the best to advise on a WLE, but I’m sure someone else will be along shortly. I can however, chat with you about anxiety and any practical questions if that helps at all - please feel free to ask anything.

I’m sure at the moment you feel like you have just been hit by a big bus that came out of nowhere, one you didn’t see coming. I know I felt like that when I was diagnosed - but like you somehow it got just a bit easier once I had a treatment plan in place. Try to take one day at a time at the moment and not let your mind race ahead. Chat about worries or concerns on here, or maybe call the lovely nurses on here if you have medical questions - their number is at the top of this page, or you can message them on the nurses’ board.

In terms of preparation I would suggest stocking up the freezer and getting some food deliveries booked, or line up some friends or neighbours to help you in the days after your operation when you will need to rest. For my mastectomy I was advised to get some front opening pyjamas as I couldn’t lift my arm above my head for a while - you could use shirts though. I think it’s the same for a WLE but someone else can probably answer this. You might not be able to easily wash your hair so perhaps invest in some dry shampoo. And most of all, make sure you have some treats planned - some nice box sets to watch, chocolate or your favourite food.

That’s just a short introduction, please feel free to ask any questions if you think I can help - or if I can help with navigating the forum at all. Sending big hugs, Evie xx

CoffeeFiend

WLE surgery

Hi lovely people

This my first post although I’ve been reading for a while.  Had routine mammogram 1 Feb 2021. Called in for follow up which happened 10 Feb. Mammogram showed calcification in linear pattern. First biopsy result 18 Feb was negative. The second taken 23 Feb was positive. Told DCIS 5 cm in left breast on 4 March 2021. Met with surgeon 11 March. Surgery, wide local excision, booked in for 7 April. Head has not stopped spinning. I’m 54, diagnosed with ms in 2005. Didn’t see this coming as no symptoms at all. Can anybody tell me what to expect with a WLE surgery and how to prepare? I live alone.  In case you’re wondering about WLE with 5cm DCIS I am a GG. Feeling a bit better now I have surgery date to plan for but not sure where to start. xx