very confused

hi I’m new here, diagnosed 2 weeks ago with DCIS in 3 areas of my right breast, on Monday I was told I’m looking at a mastectomy, i can deal with surgery & treatment , it’s the aftermath that scares me, I know it sounds so stupid & vain but the appearance after surgery really matters to me, but because I’m an F cup it seems my reconstruction options are very limited, everything seems so negative at the minute & the answers in need just aren’t forthcoming. Feeling totally confused & overwhelmed just now.

Hi Julieboz

Sorry to hear your news but welcome to this Forum as I have found this site really supportive.

Like you I was diagnosed with dcis (left breast) which was in numerous places and a Mastectomy was recomended with immediate reconstruction (I was an E cup so fairly similar ) I was also offered to have a reduction to my right breast at the same time , a lot to take on board after 2 and a half months of tests.

I had very little support from the Breast nurse and did not have a clue of how  it would turn out but felt this was the best option for me .My left breast has an implant and I am now a nice C cup which I feel very happy with which was done mid Feb.

Fast forward to now all swelling gone ( took 6 /8 weeks) back in normal bras and to the outside world no one would know one is fake ,does feel strange sometimes and 3 months ago I could never have dreamed of swimming but have purchased new swimwear and everything looks far better then I could have expected and once the weather improves will be off to the beach ,not concerned about no nipple and will have a tattoo at some point to embrace my new breast.

• I hope this helps a bit , but it is ok to feel what you are going through , we all feel differently and a I have spoken to others who are happy to have remained flat and to be honest I would never have known hat they had a Mastectomy.
  • Wishing you well

Annie 55