327810posts
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Diagnosed this week and very frightened

31 REPLIES 31

Re: Diagnosed this week and very frightened

I was diagnosed in November and agree that the waiting around before treatment starts is a truly traumatic and worrying time.  My nurse told me it would get better once treatment started and it did.  Like you I have invasive ductal cancer and am having chemo before surgery.  I started chemo on 5th December and am on EC treatment.  I had ultrasound after two sessions and was relieved to hear that the chemo is working.  Thoroughly agree that the time of year did not help me either. I did not want to spoil anyones Christmas but mine was well and truly out the window. 

Stay positive and once you have started you will feel a bit better.  

Just a note anyone else start their chemo in December 2018

Am I being paranoid ? Had one session of chemo 8 days ago , had period four days after ( not had one for 4 months ) and I’ve convinced myself the lump is getting bigger . It was sore and large before chemo but I dreamt last night it’s growing and spreading everywhere 😬 ( chemo first , then lumpectomy, lymph nodes clear ) I’m hoping it’s hormones , and the lump will change size , feel etc as it’s being treated ?

Hi Val. I just wanted to say that my Mum is in a very similar position to you. She had a mammogram recall and was diagnosed with a large tumour last week. They did biopsies of that and also some lymph nodes. These tests are positive but we don’t know the extent of lymph involvement. Last week they said definite mastectomy and maybe chemo/radiotherapy etc depending on staging and hormone results. Today the breast clinic consultant said probably chemo first before any surgery but was evasive about the reasons why. She also wouldn’t reveal hormone testing results saying that the team where my Mums treatment will be carried out will discuss this. Poor Mum is now worried sick about some info being revealed but not other. All the woman would say is that it’s not first stage! They seemed very surprised Mum wanted a frank discussion with everything laid out on the table. I hope you are going on ok and know a little more about your treatment plan. My Mum has been told she has to have a CAT scan and am presuming this is to check to see whether the cancer has spread.