65010members
342502posts
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Anyone tested positive for genetic risk but not had preventative surgery?

3 REPLIES 3

Re: Anyone tested positive for genetic risk but not had preventative surgery?

I don't have this issue personally, but a distant relative does. Her mom and grandmom died of breast cancer and she does annual screenings. It is the best course of action, there's clearly a predisposition in her family.

Highlighted

Thanks Helen,

In my head that's where I'm at. I think I would prefer the annual thorough MOT rather than preventative surgery. 

Highlighted

Hi,

I was diagnosed with breast cancer in 2004, I found out I had a mutation of the BRCA 2 gene in 2005.  Treatment for BC was lumpectomy, radiotherapy and then tamoxifen.  I had a hysterectomy and my ovaries removed in 2006 because I had fibroids and ovarian cysts caused by the tamoxifen. Since then I have had annual mammograms and breast checks, each visit I'm offered bilateral mastectomies with reconstruction.  I have to say that I have never wanted to go down this route, I'm very happy with my annual checks.  Since my treatment for BC I have been very well with no recurrence. Losing my ovaries and instant menopause at the age of 41 was tough, I probably would have hung on to them for as long as I could if it wasn't for the cysts, however I have to say that seeing as ovarian cancer is considered a silent cancer with no obvious symptoms until it has progressed quite far, I'm glad I did have the cysts which made the decision for me.  

Best wishes x

Highlighted

Anyone tested positive for genetic risk but not had preventative surgery?

I have been offered genetic testing due to family history (just breast cancer, nothing gynecological). I think this is something I want to have done but wanted to know if you test positive are you pushed towards preventative surgery? I'm still receiving treatment but my surgery was a lumpectomy, not really happy thinking about having to have further surgery. 

Anyone out there happy with just annual testing if they are deemed higher risk?