67.7K members
1.2M posts
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BRCA2 and just had preventative double mastectomy with strattice reconstruction

tmktalksback

Re: BRCA2 and just had preventative double mastectomy with strattice reconstruction

Hi Princessbear 🙂 I am seeing my consultant on Wed to discuss the next stage. I had wide local excision 12 years ago. I have decided to have skin saving bilateral mastectomy as I am not ready to have anything else put back in place yet. Think it's because I have been living with the fear of bc returning. Have had a number of false alarms over the years. If I do decide on reconstruction in the future I think it will be from the tummy. That seems the best option for me. I had radiotherapy so silicone implants are not a great option. They are also in the process of developing the reimplementation of lymph nodes with the tummy reconstruction, I had a number removed and now have lymphoedema in my right arm and hand so that could also be a bonus. I think I just need to live without breasts for a while. At the moment I am feeling ok about it all. Feel like I can take back some control. I've not had kids but I am having the ovaries done. Think this may be the tough one for me. Good luck with your appointment. Let me know how you get on. T xxxx
Angie55

Re: BRCA2 and just had preventative double mastectomy with strattice reconstruction

Hi Princessbear

Just thought I would say hello. I was communicating with you when we were both having a lumpectomy earlier in the year. I was just reading this and thought oh no you were doing so well after your lumpectomy. I should think you are totally mixed up now I would be the same. Look after yourself and you will get through it. Keep posting would be most interested in your progress.

Take Care

Angie. X

princessbear

Hi Teresa, I found out I have brca2 on 11th August. I am waiting to see my breast surgeon to discuss my options later this month. I had a wire guided lumpectomy in April following a mammogram which showed some high grade dcis. I was due to have radiotherapy at the end of June but instead my oncologist referred me for genetic testing. So now I am facing a bilateral mastectomy with immediate reconstruction as well as an oopharectomy. I'm 44 and have finished having my family but still the thought of a surgical menopause is scary. Have you decided what reconstruction you are going to have? I felt 'lucky' in April that I only needed to have a lumpectomy and a little ripped off as its healed so well!

I'm a mix of emotions right now to be honest so happy to discuss experiences with you if it helps. Take care, Princess bear xx

tmktalksback

I have just been told I have BRCA 1 gene. I had breast cancer at age 31 am now 43. I am opting for double mastectomy and ovarian removal. Would love to talk to someone who has or is about to experience anything similar. Teresa x
millicent32

Hi Ruth- just read your post with interest. I'd would really like to speak with you about your experience and would hugely appreciate it if you could get in touch. Please PM me.Hope to hear from you soon.  

sukiem

Hi Ruth. I've been advised to have a strattice with implant (I have BC) so your post was v helpful.

Could you let me know how the long the op was and how long you were in hospital? Thanks x
Lulu34

Thanks for posting ruth hope you are recovering well x
Guest user
Not applicable

BRCA2 and just had preventative double mastectomy with strattice reconstruction

I've noticed a few people on this forum who have discovered they have inherited a BRCA1 or 2 gene mutation and I thought it may be useful to share my story if anyone is scared about undergoing a preventative mastectomy, especially if fit and healthy otherwise.
Of course, everyone is different and not everyone will choose to undergo surgery - annual mammograms and MRI scans can give some peace of mind to some. For me, when I discovered I was BRCA2 positive last year aged 35 that's all I had in mind. Until the MRI scan showed 2 abnormal lumps. One was just a cyst and the other was a papilloma which was removed and turned out to be benign...but it made the 80% risk seem VERY real so I opted for risk reducing surgery which I just had done on 8th Nov. I'm now at home recovering and doing very well, just a bit sore and tight, but on the mend.
the thing that scared me most was the idea of having scars in my tummy or back to create my new boobs but my surgeon came up with the option of skin sparring bilatereal mx with implants and strattice. Being only a 34C this seemed like the least invasive option. they have lifted my pec muscle over the top part of the implant, and the lower part of the implant is held in place by the strattice (treated pig skin) which acts as an internal bra under my skin. I only have 2 small scars (about 2-3 inches long) across each breast where my nipples were removed. the shape is surprisingly lifelike and looks very similar to my boobs before. not painful, just a bit stretched and uncomfortable. Of course it's still early days but I'm pretty happy with the result and relieved that my risk should now have reduced to 5-10%. After losing my mum and an aunt to BC, it was a no brainer. Having said that I was scared to death of the op, worried I was causing complications when I was otherwise healthy. It took me a year to commit, but I can say the fear I had before is much worse than seeing through the op.
my plan is now to take time to heal and try for a family later next year - something we planned to do this year but we put on hold as a result of the decision for mx (a very hard choice as I'm getting on a bit in terms of fertility) - before getting my ovaries removed when I'm about 40.
If anyone wants to know more about a strattice reconstruction, or how it feels to go through the journey, i'd be happy to help. I'd also be grateful to hear from anyone else who has had this op and can share how they are getting on post recovery - how much movement and strength have you got back? I'm worried about how my pecs being out of action right now may impact me long term, especially as I was so active before. shanks so much, Ruth xx