BRCA2 horse owner double mast. + Recon

Hi

I was told I had BRCA2 in January this year, after Mum was successfully treated for Triple -ve stage 3 breast cancer and had the genetics test.

I’m 40, and bought my first horse last year. I think I’ve decided I want to go ahead with a preventative double mastectomy and possibly reconstruction.

I just wanted to hear from anyone else that has a horse that’s had a double mastectomy and recon about their recovery period and how long it took to get back to an everyday level of riding. My reconstruction would likely be implant on top of the muscle. My horse is quite strong so I’m going to need to get back to my current levels of fitness and ability but I’m prepared for a long recovery to get to that point.

He’s my dream horse, and I had planned to keep him for a long time (ideally into his old age!).

I have thought about going flat, but I’m not sure how I’d feel about that psychologically - I have a rare disease which affects one side of my face and since it started I know I’ve felt worse about my appearance. I’m used to how I look and would like to continue in roughly the same shape!

Thanks in advance for any information you can give me!

Caroline

Hi Caroline,

Thank you for your message and apologies that you haven’t received a reply yet. If you’d like to chat directly with our breast care nurses about any questions you have, please don’t hesitate to get in touch on our free Helpline, 0808 800 6000. 

Our Helpline is open Monday to Friday from 9am to 4pm and Saturday from 9am to 1pm.

Kindest regards,

Bernadette

Hi there Caroline,

After my bilateral mx and recon I found it really difficult to muck out and sweep the yard. Controlling our horse in a head collar was fine, but carrying water buckets etc was difficult. Your upper body strength will be compromised for a while. It’s great that you have found your dream horse, but you may need some help caring for him for the first few months after surgery. 

If he’s compliant in the field and turns out ok, then you will probably be ok handling him, but beware the mucking out. I couldn’t use a broom properly for ages. Sounds daft I know, but it’s just the way the pectoral muscles work/settle after surgery. 

Good luck,

Deborah