Brac2 positive result

Hi,

I’ve just found out that I have the brac2 gene a few days ago at 31. This is all very new and I’ve been searching for someone who has tested positive for the gene and what route they took.  I have been told that I will be on year mammogram and MRI’s as if I was to get breast cancer the earlier they find it the best chance they have of curing it. There is an option to have a double mastectomy (prevention surgery) and also when I turn 40 have my ovaries removed. Would be great to find out what other people going through or been through getting tested positive for the brac2 gene.

Nx

Hi N,

I was told I had the BRAC2 about 6 weeks ago. Big shock as I’d recently been diagnosed with breast cancer for 2nd time. Different cancer in different boob. The first time when I was in my 30’s.

I’m older than you so will have my ovaries and tubes out probably within year.

Best advice though is to take your time and have regular checks. We’ve had gene since we were born! I feel everyone pushing me to have major surgery - double mastectomy , ovaries out while still being treated for breast cancer.

Good luck,

M

I tested positive to the BRCA2 gene when I was 28 (2008). I chose to have a bilateral elective mastectomy & immediate reconstruction. Upon path lab checking my removed tissue that I was told I’d already had DCIS. 

In 2012 I was diagnosed with stage II er+ breast cancer. I had more surgery and was discharged. No treatment or further screening.

in 2016 I was diagnosed with stage IV breast cancer- it had migrated to liver, lungs, bones and sternum lymph nodes. 

My story isn’t the same for all BRCA patients. Mine unfortunately is probably due to neglyon my surgeons part. 

Good of luck with whichever route you choose xx

Hi Nx I am a 64 year old man who after getting primary BC on both Right and left sides 9 years apart was sent for gene testing and I have the mutant BRCA2 gene. I have had PSA tests for Prostate cancer and thankfully all ok. I am deeply concerned about my daughter I have given her the information and letting her deside for herself what she wishes to do.Wishing you all the look in the world’

johnnyb64