Genetic risk from grandmothers?

My 24 year old daughter has visited her doctor as she has concerns about her breast. She’s noticed one incidence of discharge and what she thought was a mark on her breast.

The doctor has examined her and found a pea size lump. She has been referred for tests.

She said/asked ‘I’ve no family history of breast cancer?’.

I haven’t kept it a secret, (she’s forgotten) but both her grandmothers had breast cancer, my mother in her mid-80s and her father’s mother late 70s. My mother responded to Tamoxifen and lived another 10 years and died of old age. Her paternal grandmother had a mastectomy and lived another 10 years as well, dying of heart failure.

I know there is nothing to be done (but worry!) until she has tests and she can now tell the doctors of the family history. By chance I have just had a regular mammogram all clear, I’m 63.

Doctors have said to me I can take HRT as my mother had breast cancer at a late age, it’s not relevant.

Is it relevant in my daughter’s case?

I think its deffo something you should be telling your daughter and her dr… She will be known to have a strong breast cancer link with her grand mother and great grandmother having bc. She will also then be more than likely be offered gene testing. This can impact on surgery.