Mind field of BRCA 2 - HELP!!!

Hey, 

This is the first time i’ve done something like this so not sure where to start! in 2018 I found out I had the mutated BRCA 2 gene after both my aunts had triple negative breast cancer & my nan sadly passed away of ovarian cancer. I’ve found it all quite overwhelming over the last few years, with my mum & cousin having preventative surgery. I love my boobs and at that stage i just wasn’t ready to give them up so having been having a the yearly check ups. 

More recently though I have been thinking more and more about the gene and my situation and although at 31 i am still young I want to start looking into my options in more depth. I just don’t even know where to start though? I read these forums with people in my situations talking to doctors and surgeons but where does it all start? 

If anyone has advice on how I can start conversations and with who I would be forever grateful as currently feeling very overwhelmed and a bit lost  

Amy x 

Hi Amy Sorry to hear you have mutated BRCA 2 gene and the family history Welcome to Breast Cancer Now and the Forum, glad you have reached out :two_women_holding_hands: as you say your mum and cousin have both already had preventative surgery, it is a very personal decision to you if you choose to have preventative surgery and if you ring the number on here you can discuss everything and more with a nurse who will talk you through anything you want to ask and help you with support. Others will pop on and support here too just ask away But please do use the number to speak to a nurse or the ask the nurse  facility on the threads. You are amazing for not burying your head in the sand by the way and seriously thinking about everything and reaching out Please keep us posted, everyone is always here :two_women_holding_hands: :two_hearts: :two_hearts: :sparkles: :sparkles: Shi xx

Hi Amy, welcome to the forum, so sorry you find yourself here. 

Your GP would be a good person to talk to - get you referred to the local breast team. But also wanted to echo what Shi said about calling the hotline 

If you are a book person, I found the ‘The Complete Guide to Breast Cancer: How to Feel Empowered and Take Control’ by Professor Trisha Greenhalgh and Dr Liz O’Riordan really helpful during my journey. 

Sending big hugs, Cathy x