Preventing recurrence

I had breast cancer in 2001 I was 32 at the time been all clear until recently… I have it again but it’s a completely different cancer not a returning one… I have been braca tested and was negative… just received results today of a new gene test palb2 also negative which is good in a way but I desperately want a double mastectomy to eliminate all further risk … my surgery is booked for the 9th… does anyone have any ideas so I maybe could change my surgeons mind to give me a double rather than a single …

Hello Juley ,sounds like you have been having a really difficult time .I was told that there are genetic issues that they still
do not really understand as yet that may lead to you having cancer more than once although breast cancer is so unpredictable it can re- appear many years later and in a different form to the one you had originally .They will consider your request for double mastectomy but they will require you to have counselling first .Best wishes .Jill.

How did you make out with  your surgery? You wanted your doctor to do both sides.  Here in the US they do bilateral covered by insurance if you want it and only have cancer in one breast. I chose the bilateral and am happy with that choice.

Salllysue