ASA status

Good evening.

Yesterday I had a gastroscope as my Acid Reflux has got a lot worse over the last 18 months to 2 years. I believe this is due to the Anastrazole which I have been taking it for 3 years now since being diagnosed with BC estrogen +8 and HER 2. Side effects only started to slowly manifest 2 years ago. 
When I read the gastroscope report last night it said my ASA status was III. I checked the report from a scope I had nearly 4 years ago and it said then my ASA status was I. 
when I looked up what all this meant I found that ASA I is a normal healthy patient but ASA III was a patient with a Severe Systemic Disease! What systemic disease? and Severe!!! How did I jump from normal and healthy to severe systemic? From what I have gathered with reading all I could breast cancer is classed as a severe systemic disease. Also I was 63 last scope and now 67 so wonder if turning 65 jumps it up too. 
 I felt quite upset and almost angry that BC is still getting in the way and impacting on things although I have been clear for 3 years now. Anastrazole is the devils work and just keeps on giving with side effects but at the same time I’m so very grateful it has kept me free from BC so far.

Has anyone else heard of BC being classed as a severe systemic disease?

love and hugs

Frances xxx

p.s ASA is used by U.K. medics too. This is taken from NICE guidelines…

The American Society of Anesthesiologists (ASA) Physical Status Classification System is often used by UK anaesthetists to establish a person’s functional capacity. ASA grades are a simple scale describing a person’s fitness to be given an anaesthetic for a procedure. However, the ASA clearly states that it does not endorse any elaboration of these definitions within the classification system.

Hi Frances333,

Thank you for posting. Sorry to read about these horrible side effects of Anastrazole. Whilst you’re waiting for someone to reply to this thread, you could post your message to the Ask Our Nurses board, where a nurse can reply directly to you with support and clinical advice. 

Best wishes, 

Saskia