Acid Reflux. Is it the tamoxifen?

I have been on tamoxifen for 4 months.  I’ve just developed awful acid reflux which I have read can be the drop in hormones.  The joys of cancer treatment and the forced menopause!!  Anyone else suffer reflux or digestion problems???  What works for you??  I have had two months of workhardt brand but just finished two months of tillomed which have no coating.  I’ve managed to now get back on the workhardt and am really hoping the coating on these may help. 

Hi Annie799 - I have been on Tamoxifen for about 3.5 years, I don’t suffer acid reflux but have other digestive issues (at the risk of too much info, wind!!), that I definitely put down to Tamoxifen. I’ve never checked or asked about it but I never had such issues before.

See if your GP can specify the brand you get on with best on your prescription, some will, some won’t it seems from what I’ve read, but thankfully mine does. You might also find that some symptoms settle down after a while, I was told to be patient for about 3 months but you’ve already had 4 months.

You might want to call the nurses on here for advice or call your BCN, who may get advice from your consultant. They may be able to prescribe something to help - or even ask your pharmacist who might give something over the counter to try.

I’m happy to answer any other questions you might have. Otherwise I really hope you get some relief. Best wishes, Evie xx

Hi, I started Tamoxifen 2 months ago (Relonchem) and get reflux particularly after drinking coffee not so much with tea.  It happened after about 3 weeks but doesn’t happen every day. Speak to your gp or pharmacist as not all over the counter medicines can be taken. Omeprazole has disappeared off my repeat prescription list so waiting for advice on what I can take. 

Hope it settles down.

I didn’t get acid reflux on tamoxifen, but I did after chemo, which unlike tamoxifen stopped my periods. I wonder if the drop in hormones caused it? I’d had lansoprazole during chemo and asked my GP to prescribe more. I’d mostly noticed it during exercise but sometimes it’d randomly appear. It does seem to be calming down after a week or so back on the lansoprazole.