Alendronic Acid

Hi Everybody,

I am going to take my first Alendronic Acid tablet tomorrow morning, I am feeling a bit nervous, I know taking it is the best option as I am almost osteoporotic after being on Letrozole for three years, I have discussed it with my doctor, BC nurse and dentist but would also be interested to hear how any of you ladies found it and any encouragement/advice you can give from personal experience.

Thanks

Sunflower.

Hi Sunflower,

I’ve been on weekly Alendronic Acid for over two years as osteopenia (neck of femur) and osteoporosis (spine) showed up on bone density scan I had a few months after I started on letrozole.  I was also prescribed calcium/vit d daily tablets.

After the first dose I felt quite unwell, headachy and tired for a day or so. After the second dose I felt a little bit under the weather for a day. Since then no problems at all, just a bit of a nuisance having to take them first thing and on an empty stomach and having to stay upright for half hour without eating but you get used to it.

It’s been worth taking it as my follow up bone density scan showed an improvement. I no longer have osteoporosis as it’s moved into the osteopenia category and the hip with osteopenia has strengthened as well. So for me definitely worth taking. Still carrying on with the treatment and repeat scan again in two years.

Hope it goes well for you too.

Sandpiper