Anastrazole and joint pain

Hi I’ve been taking anastrazole now for 8 weeks and the joint pain in my fingers, feet and knees do not seem to be easing. Does this mean that I will have this pain all the time I’m taking the drug?

Hi Peanut

it’s early days yet, and you may find that the stiffness eases over time. What I found was that early on I had the odd joint niggle for a couple of weeks, then it moved to another place briefly, then disappeared altogether, and now after 20 months I rarely get a niggle but if I do it doesn’t stick around for too long. It varies so much between people, with some people finding the pain intolerable and others, like me, who are lucky enough just to get the odd side effect which I put down to normal aging/damp weather etc., and I keep active - nothing too extreme but just lots of walking. You could also try Deep Heat or similar which helps my joints when necessary.  In the early days I kept an “Anastrozole diary” which recorded anything unusual that I put down to the tablet and how long it lasted, which gave me a good baseline for how it might be going forward. See how you get on - with luck you won’t have this for 5 years. If it doesn’t ease, look into trying a different brand of anastrozole. Mine is Accord and seems to be one of the better ones. Good luck. X

hi peanut I too have been taking Anastrozole for 8 weeks and do get some joint pain on and off but then I used to get joint pain before I took it so I don’t assume it’s the Anastrozole causing it, I also have been getting headaches regularly which I thought could be a series, but turns out to be an increased dose of Atorvastatin which was prescribed about the same time as Anastrozole, so after reducing Atorvastatin dose the headaches disappeared, so I am trying not to blame all symptoms I have on Anastrozole, not easy though.  Fezzy x

Hi Peanut,

I’ve been taking Anastrozole for nearly 2 years now and at first it wasn’t too bad. For the last 6 months or so though, I find I get good days and bad ones. This week it’s not so good, yesterday it was my hands and today it’s my left hip joint! I am 71 so don’t really know how much it is down to Anastrozole or old age! I just try to remember why I am taking it and think of the alternative. 

Everyone seems to have different side effects so hope for the best and I sympathise and wish you well. You are not alone!!

I’ve been taking the teva brand for about 8 months now and I’m still having Herceptin injections. I quickly developed trigger finger in my left little finger and I get it occasionally in my right now too. It has improved in my left but I get bad days with it. I also have creaky knees when I’ve been sitting for a while. I find I’m better if I keep active. I walk 4-5 miles a day and when I’m at work I get up and walk around the office at least once an hour. I’ve found regular stretching helps too. Hope your side effects ease x

Very high doses of vitamin D taken each week may help ease muscle and joint pain associated with taking an aromatase inhibitor. There is also a brown seaweed called bladderwrack that relieves joint pain. This seaweed is rich in vitamins, minerals, and antioxidants. Often, bladderwrack is most closely associated with the use of sea moss, as the two are typically combined to further enhance both of their health benefits. When combined, sea moss and bladderwrack have been said to promote a healthy brain, thyroid, bones, energy levels, and mood. At druggenius.com/nutrition/bladderwrack-uses-benefits-and-side-effects/ you can find all the information you need about this great product.

A coxib may help with pain relief, too.