cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Anastrazole/phosphates

12 REPLIES 12
Highlighted

Re: Anastrazole/phosphates

Hi. No I have only been taking calcium and vit D tablets twice daily. My Gp said they would review it again in 2 years and that some thinning of your bones has to be expected at your age!! I'm 62! Oh well soldier on I suppose!! 💓💓

Highlighted

Are you taking any phosphates Alibobs?  I am still waiting to have my first zometa infusion as I had to have a couple of teeth out.  Hope you can get something sorted

Highlighted

I have just had a discussion with my gp about my dexa scan results. My latest one shows I am now even more osteopenic than I was 2 years ago when I started taking Anastrozole. I do weight bearing exercises and I walk miles every week. I eat a good diet and intake calcium tablets twice daily.  I can only presume its the meds that are causing thinning of the bones! My vit D level was perfect in my latest blood results so I'm at a loss how to make any improvement on my bone density.  Another 8 years of Anastrozole will it wreck my bones???

Highlighted

I was on Letrazole but now on Anastrazole. I was started on Zolendronic acid infusions during my chemo. I’m post menopausal but was told that this infusion would not only protect my bones from osteoporosis but also help prevent bony secondaries. I haven’t had a Dexa scan but was told this would be discussed when I stopped having the infusions in 3 years time. 

Highlighted

I was just told I’d have dexa scan every 2 years. My baseline one was good, I’m due my second in a couple of months. I’ve been on anastrazole for 2 years now, hopefully will still be ok, not prescribed calcium but I do eat a lot of dairy & eat loads of green veg. I’m nearly 53 & have my fingers firmly crossed for my scan results to be still ok
Highlighted

Hi daisydi

I think it is a postcode lottery.  Where I am it was prescribed calcium and vit D with letrozole, as a standard.  I then was diag with thinning bones and only then prescribed alendronic acid.  

Other areas are different and I know of some who automatically had the infusions once on hormone therapy for post menopausal women.  No infusions available where I live!

HTH x

Highlighted

So out of the blue and totally unexpected I received a call today from the chemo unit wanting to arrange my zometa infusions which I had been told I would not have along with any other type of phosphates.  At last someone is listening ...

Highlighted

Hi can I just jump on here to add my experience on Anastrozole and thinning bones? I have been taking anastrozole for 2 years now. Had a dexa scan at the start. Bones slightly thinner than they should be but nothing to worry about. Have taken evacal tablets x2 every day since. Doc rang me last week routine dexa scan due. Had to give blood tests first. Calcium level normal and now have to wait for dexa scan in January. It's all routine apparently!

Highlighted

Hi

What do you know? You know what I thought was standard practice now - that biphonsonates can be used to reduce the chances of recurrence of breast cancer in the bone marrow. It must be incredibly frustrating. I get treated at a Centre of Excellence. I’m on anastrozole and am due for my third zometa infusion in January. It’s standard, though most patients take the oral treatment, one that’s given for osteoporosis patients. 

There are side effects (short-lived) and risks attacked to the infusion which you will need to be aware of. I do hope you get this sorted out soon. All I can think is that the nature of your particular form of breast cancer doesn’t indicate a necessity for zometa infusion but I;d have thought they’d offer it if you needed the additional reassurance.

Good luck with this,

Jan x

Highlighted

Hi yes I really really pushed for a DEXA bone scan and the onco told me my bones were slightly thinner than they should be.  When I asked about phosphates he just said why? and I said to strengthen bones and ward off bone mets and he just looked at me like I was from Mars.  He agreed to write to GP recommending a weekly tablet but when I went to see GP the letter said I didnt need anything and that my bones were within normal range.  GP has written back for clarification.  I just didnt think it would be this difficult.  If side effects are bad I think I would rather not have tablets but I would prefer the infusion, I think.  Will wait and see.  I just thought it was standard practice that if you are taking something that will ruin your bones then you would be prescribed something to stop that.  But hey what do I know?

Highlighted

Hi daisy di 

i have been prescribed anastrozole ( not started taking them yet tho) and was initially told I’d have oral bisophosphonates but because of the side effects and the faffing around I asked about iv infusion, he agreed and I go for it next Wednesday. 
I asked about the bone scans and was told back in the day when bone meds were not routinely prescribed then, yes, bone scans were done as a matter of course but now that most people seem to get the bone stuff as they also prevent bone mets, there’s no need for scans as were already being treated - does that make sense?

lf he won’t prescribe them ask about the dexa bone scan. According to nice guidelines if you are prescribed anastrozole or simulate and NOT the bone stuff, you should have regular bone scans.

hope that helps xx

Highlighted

Hi Daisydi I have been on anastrozole for 16 months and was given a dexa scan 2 months after I started on them.  Because the results of the dexa showed osteoporosis of the spine and osteopenic left hip I was prescribed bisphosphonates  by my onco.  Have you had a dexa scan to measure your bone density they usually do this before prescribing bisphosphonates.  In my case the bisphosphonates caused intolerable side effects, just to add not everyone gets these, so I was given Denosumab Prolia injection every 6 months, only had one up to now but so far no bad side effects.  If you are concerned I would ask for a dexa scan to determine your bone strength. I also had a bone scan to make sure there were no bone Mets as I was experiencing shoulder and arm pain, this came back clear. Unfortunately  I think it all depends on whether your onco thinks you need these tests, but I would certainly ask again. Good luck   Fezzy

Anastrazole/phosphates

Can I just ask if everyone taking Anastrazole or other similar hormone treatments have been prescribed either phosphate tablets or biphosphonate infusions to help protect bones.  I am asking as my onco wont prescribe anything but I thought it was standard practice as I believe it also helps to ward off bone mets.  Look forward to hearing what you have to say.  Thanks