Anastrozole and Goserelin

Anyone have panic attacks from these ? I think it’s probably coming from the goserelin injections but it is overwhelming and I am strongly considering stopping the Injection. Just torn of course if that is the best thing.

Hi ruveg

I’m sorry you’re experiencing panic attacks. I’ve had them since I was a teenager (at a time when no one had ever heard the term) so I know how terrible they can make life. I’m on anastrozole and haven’t noticed any anxiety or panic as a result (just utter misery from joint and bone pain!). In fact, once my surgical and then my oncology team made allowances for my panic, it kind of vanished and I haven’t had a proper attack for 13 months. I guess my body was too busy trying to cope with everything else and I’m trying not to think about it in case I open that door again.

The point I want to make is a simple one. Considering the physical and emotional onslaught you’ve faced over the past year or more, with your world turned haywire and your sense of safety whipped away with a few gentle words, might it not be a natural response for you to develop panic attacks? It’s something many women on here mention. I guess I had an armoury of strategies to use against the emotional onslaught, but what about someone who’s rarely faced that level of anxiety or fear before? To me, it would seem like a normal response. I haven’t seen anxiety or panic disorder listed as potential side effects for anastrozole but have no experience of the other drug - it would be worth checking.

Considering the benefits (some recent research identified anastrozole as the best line of defence against recurrence), would it be worth talking to someone linked to your hospital? Is there a Maggie’s centre, a Macmillan base or a Haven near to you? That might signpost you to the best ways to handle panic, which vary from person to person. It becomes an embedded response if it’s not dealt with and, believe me, that’s not the life you want now you are cancer-free. Certainly I’d look at managing the panics or reducing them by using yet another medication before stopping hormone therapy (although there are alternatives, I’m told). 

I do hope you find a solution. I wouldn’t wish panic on anyone! Take care,

Jan x

Hi I’m on both and luckily the only side effect I have is stiff joints and the menopause obviously, does it say it can cause anxiety or could the anxiety be a separate issue, have you previously suffered from anxiety? Xxx