Anastrozole and Herceptin - cough/breathlessness

I’m just coming to the end of my second month of Anastrozole and I’m really struggling with an awful raspy cough, scratchy throat and breathlessness. I’ve also had 8 Herceptin injections with 10 more to go. 

I had a heart scan 4 weeks ago and it was normal so know it’s not that. I do suffer with asthma.

It does say that Herceptin can cause a cough in the list of side effects. It’s affecting my work a bit as I’m a teacher and having to project and raise my voice often makes me cough now, which isn’t great when trying to get 30 kids attention. Finding it very frustrating.

Im keeping a diary of how I feel but will probably just have to keep plodding on. 

Hi @louby_lou69  

I’m on Phesgo injections (Herceptin/Perjeta) and have had a troublesome cough for several weeks now, had my 8th injection 3 days ago. I was in hospital with a nasty pneumonia 3 weeks after my first injection and no one thought Phesgo was the cause ???  I have asthma too and have recommenced Symbicort plus take Salbutamol more frequently - helps a little but not enough! It really is bothersome when you have to speak and it feels like there is something stuck in/irritating your throat! Sucking on boiled sweets, Polo-mints or similar helps me a little but I guess you may not be allowed that in the classroom? 

I am not on anastrozole, tried Tamoxifen but I too severe reaction to it.

Take care, Kaisa

Hi @louby_lou69  

I hope that the cough is settling and you are enjoying the school holiday! I also developed a cough at the beginning of my treatment, thought to be a bronchial asthma and not related to chemo. I  have started on a preventer Breo Ellipta and it does seem to help. 

My echo in March did show some decline in cardiac function but a follow up last week showed some recovery . I have had 6/17 cycles of Herceptin and hope to be able to have at least another 3 which will take it six months treatment.  I have now missed the eligibility criteria for the Kadcyla so hope this doesn’t have an impact on my prognosis.

It really feels like I am in limbo at the moment. I don’t see my oncologist until the 13th and have yet to hear from radio oncology. 

Definitely a bit harder staying upbeat…… I was offered Effexor by my GP to help with mood, insomnia and hot flushes but my oncologist said not to. Keeping busy and listening to my body much more than I used to! Early to bed, early to rise daily walks and cuddles with our grandson.

We really times out uk trip poorly! Missing out on pomp and ceremony that the UK does so well!

Happy Jubilee to all of you! 

Jane x

Hi @louby_lou69  

I hope that the cough is settling and you are enjoying the school holiday! I also developed a cough at the beginning of my treatment, thought to be a bronchial asthma and not related to chemo. I  have started on a preventer Breo Ellipta and it does seem to help. 

My echo in March did show some decline in cardiac function but a follow up last week showed some recovery . I have had 6/17 cycles of Herceptin and hope to be able to have at least another 3 which will take it six months treatment.  I have now missed the eligibility criteria for the Kadcyla so hope this doesn’t have an impact on my prognosis.

It really feels like I am in limbo at the moment. I don’t see my oncologist until the 13th and have yet to hear from radio oncology. 

Definitely a bit harder staying upbeat…… I was offered Effexor by my GP to help with mood, insomnia and hot flushes but my oncologist said not to. Keeping busy and listening to my body much more than I used to! Early to bed, early to rise daily walks and cuddles with our grandson.

We really times out uk trip poorly! Missing out on pomp and ceremony that the UK does so well!

Happy Jubilee to all of you! 

Jane x