Anastrozole and hand problems!

Hi ladies

I’ve been taking Anastrozole for 17 months since my WLE and before rads. Was fine for first 12 month then the brand was changed to Accord. Had a lot of pain in my hands and feet too and been for x Ray’s. Upshot was arthritis in hand and then I got trigger thumb in the same hand. I also have Achilles tendonitis in my foot on the same side!! Oh the Joys!! I had to have a cortisone shot in my hand yesterday for the very painful trigger thumb. Oh my goodness it hurt like hell!! Never had pain like that injection. It was like being tortured!! Cried like a baby and I’m not embarrassed to admit it!! I’ve spoken to my chemist and virtually demanded he doesn’t give my that brand anymore. He agreed but did warn me that he couldn’t always guarantee to get the other brands which were ok. I never want to suffer that pain again!! Sorry to be a wuss!!!

I’m due to start anastrozole in a month’s time, towards the end of my course of radiotherapy which starts next week. The oncologist warned me about muscle and joint pain as potential side effects but I had no idea it could be that severe. I already have an arthritic big toe joint and have had a few steroid injections. They can be very painful so I really feel for you. You are fortunate you cried. I’m afraid I yelled out F*** several times till the consultant decided against a further injection! However, I’ve had similar injections since and it is all down to skill and method. If you have a guided injection, using ultrasound, it’s virtually painless so maybe you could ask for that next time? My most recent injection, before my BC diagnosis, was done by a new GP who’d come from hospital haematology. No pain but a purple foot for 2 weeks! I’d definitely recommend asking for a referral for a guided injection.