Another one about Letrozole

Hi,  I have been reading the Letrozole threads and thought I would ask for any advice/help.  My situation is that I am 61, I had hormone receptive breast cancer 9 years ago.  I went through the full set of treatment including chemo,  mammoplasty and radiotherapy. I took Tamoxofin for about 6 months but stopped due to side effects.

I have been well since then until a few weeks ago I found a lump in the same breast.  Seeing the same surgeon and have had mammogram, ultrasound, biopsy, Pet scan, brain MRI.  It looks like it’s just local at the moment so suggested treatment is a mastectomy and Letrozole.  

I started the letrozole 2 weeks ago and initially felt OK but now feel awful.  I can only describe it as similar to day 3 of chemo.  Very shaky legs, headaches, upset stomach, various aches and pains and brain fog.  I am really worried that I will feel like this for the next 5 years and to be honest I don’t think I could carry on taking it if it’s like this.   I am an amputee so already have some minor mobility issues and the shaking legs are really making life hard.  

I still work full time and want to continue but right now I am not capable of doing my job which is really increasing my anxiety.  I work in IT for airlines and I really love my job so not being competent is very upsetting.

I am having my surgery in November - it could have been earlier but I wanted to go on a very much delayed family holiday so he insisted that I start the Letrozole immediately to try and prevent any further tumour growth.  Obviously I now worry that this was a crazy decision but the holiday is with my 83 year old mother so will do us both good. 

I have been reading the Letrozole threads and that was also a bit scary!

Maybe you should discuss this with your BCN ? They could possibly switch you to another AI or even Tamoxifen if Letrozole doesn’t agree with you . There’s always a possibility your symptoms could be related to something else too ? Hope things settle down for you soon .x

Hi

So very sorry to learn that your Cancer after 9 years has returned. I had something similar, after approx 18 years of having been diagnosed I then had a Lumpectomy; Radiotherapy but no Hormone Treatment.  Two further lumps were found last December and I had surgery/reconstruction and 15 sessions of Radiotherapy earlier this year. I too was put on Letrozole but prior to taking it I did a little research study assisted by the other ladies on the Forum and their experiences of Hormone Treatment, it is on this site if you scroll back to Spring. I personally discovered that by keeping to the one Brand, in my case Accord,(whichever one suits you best) BUT insist your pharmacy supplies you that named one rather than chopping and changing every month or so.  I also found taking it the very last thing at night before I switched my light off, any side effects had disappeared by the morning.  I have also carefully watched my diet so that rather than put weight on I’ve reduced it by eating fruit/a few nuts during the day and my usual meal in the evening. Absolutely NO Bisc; cakes; cakes definitely now only for the occasional treat as I’ve been told by my Oncologist FAT contains oestrogen which feeds hormone related cancer.  I too am limited in my mobility so really important I don’t put on further weight which some ladies found they did on Hormone Treatment.  Altogether I’ve now lost two and a half stone, and can fit into 10/12 clothes which has been encouraging as I returned to ‘normal’ life as I feel so much fitter.

I wish you the very best as you start your journey, and remember there is light at the end of the tunnel, just keep positive and chat to the other ladies on this Forum who are in a similar position

Silver6