Anyone else ‘borderline’ ER+?

I was diagnosed with breast cancer in September 2021 and have had surgery, chemotherapy and radiotherapy. My cancer was stage 2, grade 3 ER+3, HER-.  

The ER+3 status has been described by one of my consultants as borderline oestrogen fed and by another consultant as negative oestrogen fed.

Between us we have decided that I should start taking letrozole, as if my cancer was weakly oestrogen fed, the letrozole may help reduce the risk of recurrence. They did say I could say no to the letrozole as no one is sure of the benefit.

I decided to give it a go and I have been taking the letrozole for around 6 weeks now but the joint pain is awful, I really don’t want to feel like this for the next 5/10 years. I’m 56 and was active, fit and healthy prior to diagnosis, now I struggle to get off the sofa!

I’ve got an appointment at the end of July with my consultant, so will be able to decide then (I think) if it is worth carrying on with the letrozole.

Has anyone else had an ER3 diagnosis? Were you prescribed letrozole/tamoxifen? Is the small benefit worth the side effects?

I have followed my constant’s instructions to the letter so far and taken every treatment they advised, but now I’m so confused as the decision could be down to me!

Any experience/advice greatly received.

Thank you.

Hi sorry you’ve not had a response so far , just commenting so hopefully someone who’s been in this situation will see your post .Best wishes Jill x

Hello BJ

My diagnosis was 12 years ago and Allred score( oestrogen positivity) was 3 out of 8 like yours.If you look this up it can be interpreted that Tamoxifen and Aromatase Inhibitors such as letrozole can give up to 20 or 30% protection but it is a bit of a grey area and believe me I did a lot of research. I did therefore complete 10 years of hormone therapy. I run walk dogs and swim and exercise did help minimimise the side effects although it wasn’t easy at times!

Best Wishes 

Elaine 

Ps I was 54 when diagnosed