Arimidex and bone pain/arthritis

I haven’t been on here for a year or so, all has been well.Had a mastectomy and clearance in january 2012 followed by radiotherapy then arimidex. My hands have been badly affected but have gone with the flow but now my right knee has been so painful since January. The xray shows mild arthritis but it’s agony to walk on and the GP thinks there is something floating around and she has referred me for physio! Well I have decided to go back to the Oncologist and see if I can change meds. I’m even worried that I have bony mets in the top of the lower leg bones as it is so painful but my Gp is very dismissive of my concerns. 2 years on and I guess I need reassurance more than my GP can give. Thanks for “listening” and hope all my old buddies are doing well.

Margaret May 

Welcome back Margaret_May, I’m sure your fellow forum users will be along soon to offer you some much needed suppport.

I hope you get some answers soon from your medical team.

Take care,

Jo, Moderator

Hi - I changed from tamoxifen to Arimidex last September because of pain in my neck and also leg pain but the onco at the time said arimidex may also cause bone pain. Was OK for first three months but has been getting steadily worse and now have very painful ankles and some pain in wrists - I’m sure it’s related to meds and is not really arthriitis as seems to be easing as I’ve ‘forgotten’ to take meds for last 5 days thought I’d give it a week and then review. Ankles were so bad it took me all my time to stand up and walk in the morning and I don’t give up easily!!

Thank you Tricia and Amanda. I have now got an appointment to see my Oncologist next week so can grill him on what’s best to do. It rather looks like trial and error. My surgery wont prescribe Arimidex anymore , it has to be anastrazole as its much cheaper. My attitude has been that if this hormone treatment keeps me cancer free then to put up with the side effects, but this latest episode with my knee means I haven’t been able to walk or stand for any legth of time without severe pain, so can’t put up with that anymore!! Thanks again

Margaret May