Bisphosphanate infusions With Zoladex and letrozole

I went to my appointment today to find out about my next line of treatment and told that I could have Bisphosphante infusions with zoladex and letrozole. However I have to get checked up by the dentist to make sure my teeth are in a good state before treatment with bisphosphante infusions due to its side effects.

My question is the dental appointment covered by my medical exemption card? I was told by the dental receptionist it is not covered. 

Hi Sunflower

I didn’t know the answer but I searched as it’s relevant to me too - and unfortunately she’s right. Dental treatment isnt covered. However, depending on their financial circumstances, people can apply for support via Macmillan.

When I asked for an appointment with my dentist to discuss the zometa infusion (such a pretty name for an acid attack), the receptionist told me no dentist had expertise in working with cancer patients!! I refused to believe that and rang the practice manager who assured me they have a dentist who is trained in this area. I’m seeing him Tuesday. However, I’ve had two zometa treatments already (there was no way I could get to the dentist during chemotherapy but I knew from regular check ups that nothing desperate needed to be done). Do make sure you are seeing the right dentist - it may not be your regular dentist but it’s a wasted consultation if, in the end, they aren’t sure.

Incidentally, the possible side effect of biphosphonates (specifically necrosis of the jaw) is rare and the risk relates only to an extraction or root canal. I was told if it couldn’t be avoided, the work would be done in the hospital. Nevertheless, it’s a very scary prospect and I want to know all sorts!

Sorry I couldn’t give you good news.

Jan