Bisphosphonates, oral or IV ?

Hello, I was diagnosed in October 2020, surgery in November and radiotherapy March/April this year. I take Letrozol,  Adcal3 and Ibandronic acid daily. My quandary is, should I change from oral bisphosphonate to IV? When I started Ibandronic acid I struggled a little getting used to the routine of taking on an empty stomach with a full glass of cold water staying upright for and hour etc. At the time I wasn’t able to have IV bisphosphonates in hospital due to Covid restrictions. I originally asked to change to IV when allowed and this has now been arranged for January. So now I’m wondering if this will be better or will it have drawbacks of it’s own? I want to take all medication prescribed to give myself the best chance. Any thoughts from anyone based on similar experience ? Thank you x

Hello @Gertie4  

I have now had three of the proposed six six-monthly Zoledronic Acid infusions and I can honestly say that I have had virtually no problems at all with IV Bisphosphonates. The initial infusion produced mild flu-like symptoms for a day or so but I was told that subsequent treatments rarely cause any side effects at all (something to do with T-Cells being activated first time round) and I have certainly found this to be the case for me personally. Another consideration in favour of IV treatment is that you at least get a blood test a couple of days before the infusion and in these Covid days of minimal, if any, active follow-up, I have certainly found just that small input to be a very welcome reassurance. 

Well done if you have already completed a few months of daily Ibandronic Acid. You’re clearly made of sterner stuff than I am! If I could not sit down with my newspaper and two cups of tea first thing in the morning, I think I would have thrown in the towel by now… 

Good luck with whatever you decide.

Pat x