Change of Anastrozole brand

27 REPLIES 27
NettyDengers

Re: Change of Anastrozole brand

Great, thank you x

Optimissy64

Hi Netty

if you have been OK on one brand all this time and now are not, I'd suggest asking your pharmacist to write on your scrip what brand you should have each month.

I was fine on Accord, the one I was given in the first instance, so didn't even try another brand but asked to stay on this, which they accepted. I don't know what if any differences there are in the ingredients (the filler) but reading things on here it is apparent that different people do more or less well on different brands so it makes sense not to change anything that works for you, even if you don't know specifically WHY it works better.

I didn't need to see the gp, just had a word with pharmacist who straight away had it added to my scrip. I think they may be familiar with this situation.

Hope you continue well with the Anastrozole. I've been on it for 15 months and doing OK apart from a bit dry in the Ladybits department, but I get ReplenseMD on prescription now along with the Anastrozole.x

NettyDengers

Hi M

I have been taking Anastrozole for over a year now with few side effects, but within the last few months brands have been changed. Now on Manx brand, for the first time, and have suffered a few headaches within the last few weeks. I haven’t kept any of the other brand leaflets to compare but thinking Macrogol 400 could be a factor. Any help much appreciated before visiting Dr and chemist.

G

Magical_Moon

NED = No evidence of disease.

Before I was diagnosed with BC, I knew very little about it except for checking myself each month for lumps and anything unusual.  Now I feel like the offspring of David Attenborough who knows everything about the nasty beast.  It was a steep learning curve helped by my relentless Googling for information to ease my worries.

M x

ETA.  Enjoy swinging from your ceiling chandelier!

Ruthiesings

Must admit, M, it is a great feeling - don't think I've come down from the ceiling yet! I'm a bit ignorant about some of the lingo - what does NED stand for?! R
Magical_Moon

Fantastic news, Ruthie.

It's a wonderful feeling to get the all clear, NED.  A mixture of massive relief and pure joy that all the medical treatment worked to get rid of the nasty beast.

Thanks for posting your good news, it made me smile.

M x

Ruthiesings

Got my letter this morning - a bit worried at its early arrival as I only had the mammogram on Tuesday but absolutely over the moon (no pun intended) that I'm all clear! Rx
Ruthiesings

Made me chuckle out loud! Must check it out {YouTube - not in reality!!). Many thanks for giving me a laugh
Magical_Moon

Hi Ruth,

After watching an impressive instructor demonstrating three 'suspension' Pilates exercises (YouTube video), I am going to give that type of Pilates a miss.  I'd definitely do myself an injury and end up in A&E.

Just swinging in a beach hammock with a G&T hurts my back.

M x

Ruthiesings

Hello M, just been to Pilates tonight funnily enough. Didn't realise there were different sorts - don't like the sound of suspension!! The class I go to is very much like yoga - lots of stretching, posture stuff and core strengthening. Hope you find something to suit you. Will definitely be posting when I get my results.
Magical_Moon

Hi Ruthie,

Pleased to hear that your mammogram went well and you are feeling positive.  The waiting is always the difficult part but I'm sure everything is going to be fine.  Don't forget to come back when you've got your results and post your good news.

I have found a few Pilates classes close to where I live, but when Googling didn't realise there were different types, e.g Suspension Pilates. I need to research a little more to understand which type would be most helpful for my severe joint pain.

Peace and Positivity,

M x

Ruthiesings

Hello again M.  Today's mammogram went fine - I took paracetamol an hour before as suggested by other ladies on the forum and told the nurse it was my first post-surgery so she only squeezed using the minmum pressure.  As a result it was no more uncomfortable than previous mammograms and nothing to have worried about - just the long wait now for the letter!  Am feeling positive and will take on board other comments I've picked up here about recall letters being more common because of scarring from the op. Have you looked for a pilates class yet?

Magical_Moon

Great news Ruthie.

Onwards and upwards!

M x

Ruthiesings

After starting this thread when anxious about changing Anastrozole brands, I'm pleased to give a quick update to say that after taking the Morningside brand (which no-one else seems to have mentioned/heard of!) for the last 3 weeks my minimal side effects are still minimal, thank goodness!
Matty2

Thanks for the offer

Hopefully tomorrow I will have the Aramadix (spell it different everytime LOL)

My future son in law is a hairdresser and he advised me to use Dove pro-age shampoo. It has certainly made a difference to its condition. My hair only became thin when I was on Accord.

However I worry about side effects full stop now and as for hair - wedding is in July so it just can't be thin - can it!!!

Will see after a week what is happeneing

Beryl

Oh I am not bothered about being anonymous, just seems unnecessary at present x

Magical_Moon

Hi Beryl,

I have two weeks of Teva brand tablets left (foiled strip) which I never used.  If you do not mind sending me a private message with your address, I'd be happy to post them to you first class post. The pills do not expire until August 2016.  No problem if you prefer to remain anonymous.

Sorry to hear about your hair.  I've been fortunate on that score because my hair has remained very thick. Stiff fingers crossed hoping that doesn't change.  My hairdresser always says it make her arms ache blow drying it.

M x

Matty2

Thank you for the comments.

One of my worries is if my hair begins to fall out - it did on Accord.

I have heard that Arimadix is expensive so fingers crossed it works (Stiffly crossed!)

I have had a trawl around the local chemists as it seems Arimadix is not stocked and has to be ordered. I will have some tomorrow.

Fortunately I have a couple of Teva left

As ever this forum comes up with reassurance and information just when you need it.

Than ks

I will keep in contact about my progress

Beryl x

Magical_Moon

Hi Beryl,

It's interesting how we react differently to the alternative brands.  I take the Accord brand because Teva didn't suit me.  But like you, I have been having a terrible time with Anastrozole.  All my joints are very painful.  I've not been able to wear any of my rings for over 10 months now because my finger joints are too swollen.  Struggled to get them off but better than having to have them all cut off at the jewellers. Would have cost me £70 @ £10 per ring.

Amitriptyline (used for neuropathic pain) has helped to reduce the chronic pain to some degree but I am still drained of energy every day.  When waking up, I cannot move my fingers and all my other joints are very stiff and painful.  Depressing to start every day feeling so incapacitated.

Have you tried Amitriptyline?

It is good to hear that your GP has given you a month's trial on Arimidex.  I hope it works for you.  I would be very interested to hear how you get on with it.  It has made me think about asking my GP about trying Arimidex.  I know it is much more expensive than the generic brands but if it works to reduce chronic joint pain, I would love to improve my quality of life.

Good luck with Arimidex.

Take care and report back.

M x

rubycat

Hello Beryl, so sorry that you are suffering all these s/e.  I haven't ever had the Arimidex (told it was too expensive!!), but started on the Accord brand for Anastrozole, with minimal s/e.  Next time  was given the Teva brand - I asked for Accord, but Chemist refused - saying again it was more expensive than the Dr's paid and it's been the Teva brand since - just getting to about 6 months now.  My s/e are nowhere near as difficult as yours, so I battle on.  Saw the BCN today & she said if I could get through 2 years on Anastrozole, & quality of life badly affected, they would consider Tamoxifen - don't know if that's of any help.  Do hope you get some relief soon. Christine xxx

Matty2

Hello

I have been taking the Teva brand. Bad side effects but  not as bad as Accord.

Chemist has told me they can't get it so contacted my doc.

I am about to go and collect a months trial prescription of Arimadix.

The side effects I have been having are bad and now have very little use of my hands, and a great deal of pain with them. and other joints.

Last hospital appointment I was told if there is no improvement in next 6 months I will have to see Oncologist

My fingers swell up, over the weekend I managed (painfully) to take my wedding ring off. Hope ing that will ease the pain a little.

Anyone else have experience of changing the brands and Arimadex?

A garbled post - sorry - but am quite worried about this

beryl x

Magical_Moon

Hello Ruthie,

That must be an immense comfort knowing you are being treated by a 'centre of excellence'.  All these things help to give you peace of mind during a challenging time.  I wouldn't beat yourself up for not finding your lump.  I've heard of many ladies not being able to feel anything.  A lady with BC that I befriended at the hospital couldn't feel her's.  Some lumps are just very sneaky at hiding themselves!  The UK mammogram screening programme is hugely successful and long may it continue to be.

Onwards and upwards!

Stay well.

M x

Ruthiesings

Hello M, I'm so pleased to find someone who's had the same treatment as me. I'm being looked after by the Breast Institute in Nottingham - I'm told if you're going to get BC, Nottm is the best place to be as it is a 'centre of excellence'! I could kick myself for not finding my lump - it was picked up exactly a year ago this week with a routine mammogram.  Will keep in touch - and hope you perhaps find a Pilates class to try.

Magical_Moon

Hello Ruthie,

Good luck with your first mammogram on the 15th.  Sending you positive thoughts for a good outcome. I was very happy to get my second NED result last October.  You are going to be fine.  I had the same as you.  WLE, sentinel lymph nodes clear (2 removed), 3 weeks radiotherapy and hormone therapy.  I detected my lump early and my local NHS was outstanding.

It is definitely worth trying to find a positive out of all the negativity a BC diagnosis can bring.  Sometimes it can be difficult to find the silver lining inside a cloud but if you can find a positive it makes everything easier to deal with.

Great news on the boob job!  High fives for Ruthie and her surgeon.

Take care, M x

PS. Perhaps I should have a scout around for a local Pilates class to help with my joints.

Ruthiesings

Hi M, yes, I feel extremely blessed not to have had any joint pain - don't know if Pilates has helped?.  In fact, I feel most fortunate all round with how things have gone - just a WLE, lymph nodes proved clear (4 removed) and 3 weeks radiotherepy - I was even offered a mammoplasty on the good side to 'even things up'.  It's really helped me be positive by treating it as having a boob job on the NHS!  Hope all is well with you.  I've got my first mammogram on 15 March. Ruthie

Magical_Moon

Hi Ruthie,

I can understand now why you are nervous about trying a different brand especially when you are experiencing no severe joint pain.  Fingers crossed, you will be fine with the Morningside brand too. If not, don't hesitate to go back to your GP for another prescription so you can go back to Teva.  Please post again to let me know how you get on with it.

You are not alone experiencing the joy of 'Anastrozole brain'.  The pill that just keeps giving!

Peace and Positivity,

M x

Ruthiesings

Hello M, thank you for your kind reply.  Unlike some of the other poor ladies on this forum, I've have minimal s/es - just the hot flushes and 'anastrozole brain'. Will post again to let you know whether the new brand is better or worse!

Magical_Moon

Hi Ruthie,

You do not say how your body has been reacting to the Teva brand of Anastrozole since you started taking it.  Have you had minimal side effects or are you one of the unlucky ladies who have had bad s/e's?

I have not heard of the Morningside brand. The more common generic brands I know of are Teva, Accord, Actavis and Sandox.

I would try not to worry too much about trying the Morningside brand because you may be OK with it and not notice any difference between the Teva brand.  Everybody seems to react differently to the various brands of Anastrozole and it is only by trial an error that you find a brand that is kinder to your body.

I always have the Accord brand but early on in my treatment my pharmacist gave me the Teva brand one time which did not suit me.  You will know within a week or two if the Morningside brand suits you or not.

The positive outcome of trying a different brand, is that you will know for certain which brand is kinder to your body. Then, you can ask your pharmacist to make a note on their records to always supply you with that particular brand.

Take care and good luck trying Morningside.

M x

Ruthiesings

Change of Anastrozole brand

Have been on the Teva brand (a very helpful calendar pack) since last summer but just picked up my latest prescription and its marketed by a company called Morningside and manufactured by Doppel Farmaceutici. I've read so much about the effects people have experienced when changing brands that I'm quite worried. Has anyone else taken this brand? Ingredients look the same except for macrogol which is 400 and 6000 in Teva and just 6000 in the new packs.